mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Weld repair - UK

Based on my experience & after reading reviews about ellsworth/FREEBORN not honouring their warrantees, I thought this would be the best place to find out where I can get my frame repaired. Any ideas? Not that I would ride a ellsworth again, after experiencing their after sales service, but if it could be repaired (Which ellsworth should be doing), at least I would have a chance of getting some of my money back.

Thank you for your help. Hope if you have one, you never need to use the warrantees.

Are you talking to me?

Pyrobike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaff
    Based on my experience & after reading reviews about ellsworth/FREEBORN not honouring their warrantees, I thought this would be the best place to find out where I can get my frame repaired. Any ideas? Not that I would ride a ellsworth again, after experiencing their after sales service, but if it could be repaired (Which ellsworth should be doing), at least I would have a chance of getting some of my money back.

Thank you for your help. Hope if you have one, you never need to use the warrantees.
    www.pyrobike.com perhaps. I know there is an outfit called pyrobike that specializes in frame repairs, changing techniques depending on the job.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Uzzi in this thread said he got his frame welded on. cracked frame questions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ellsworth repair

Quote Originally Posted by Yaff

i've repaired an Ellsworth using Pyrobike or Pyrotek in British Columbia Canada & highly recommend their services. If you strip the paint yourself you can it done for $150 US.
    Ted Croft is the guy to talk to. you won't be dissapointed. if you have ANY problems getting in touch w/ them , get ahold of me. their fix will hold & their garraunty is real!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thank you all for the feedback, but I need a UK based company.

Steve 3 - I agree, if was dealing direct with Ellsworth in the states, they would have probably done the right thing and replaced the front triangle. However, as Freeborn are the their distributor fro the UK, when I contacted Ellsowrth direct, they said it was down to Freeborn.

The damage is a very small crack in the weld, between the top tube and seat post tube. Apart from that, no damage. Although the bike is designed for heavy xc/freeriding (It has options for both 4" and 6" rear travel), I have only used it for xc. Freeborn have said this is the first time they have seen a crack in this position, so it must be down to abuse They claim that I have used a short seat post. Why would I do that? I have a lovely long Thomson post and before that I had a extra USE. I think the reason they are trying to use this as an excuse, is when I purchased the Thomson post (The USE clamp broke), I cut down the USE to about 6" and use it during transportation. I have S Type Jag car, which means I need to take the wheals off during transportation. The short post, without seat or clamp, allows me to insert the back wheal, with the bike upside down. Without it, you need to put the wheal in place and lift the frame to get the wheal in, which is very difficult to do when muddy . There is no way I could ride it like this even if I wanted to and during this process, their is no weight on the post/frame. I hope this makes sense. I showed Freeborn my Thomson post at the time, complete with saddle.

For the sake of about $300 (About the cost to Ellsworth for manufacturing the triangle), Ellsworth has lost a customer that spends about $5,000 per annum on his bike. I have just purchased a S-Works enduro. In addition, at every opportunity, I am telling potential customers about my experience, which is probably also costing them business.

I have discussed the situation with Trading Standards, 2 LBS and the rep from Specialized, who have no doubt that if I take Freeborn to court, I will win. The reason this has not happened to date, is work and life is very busy at this time. When the winter sets in and I canít get out on my bike, I will probably start legal action.

You did ask !!