mtbr member
    Apr 2007

warrany policy for 2nd owners

My used Truth (ridden for one season by 1st owner) might have an minor alignment problem, which is subtle enough that I've ridden for 2 years and tried every other troubleshoot I could think of to get rear XT der to shift properly, but I finally gave up. LBS has been trying to help, talking directly w/ E on phone. We're sending the frame back to them so they can take a look. Might need to replace rocker or rear tri. I can't find info on their website about warranty policy. Anybody know?

~~~
    Don't believe there is any warranty for 2nd hand owners. Frame warranties are almost always for the original owner only.

If it needs to be replaced, they'll probably offer you a new rear at the "crash replacement" cost.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by grbadave
    My used Truth (ridden for one season by 1st owner) might have an minor alignment problem, which is subtle enough that I've ridden for 2 years and tried every other troubleshoot I could think of to get rear XT der to shift properly, but I finally gave up. LBS has been trying to help, talking directly w/ E on phone. We're sending the frame back to them so they can take a look. Might need to replace rocker or rear tri. I can't find info on their website about warranty policy. Anybody know?
    You may have been browsing the turner board too much. Even though just a couple manufacturers extend 2nd hand owners considerable warrenty leeway you really are entitled to nothing unfortunately. It goes out the window when the bike changes hands.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Correct! Ellsworth donīt warrenty 2nd hand bikes or even new frame bought from internet!
    Somehow new frames from internet loose warrenty just by beeing sold this way....
    Ellsworth donīt even try to check who is doing it, they more than anybody else now to whom they sell their bikes....ítīs just a matter of checking serial numbers....

Bad luck for you and me....LOL

Rolling
    Yep, non transferable warranty. However, if you need a new part, buy it, the new part gets a warranty.

Alignment problem? My guess is cracked chainstay near the main pivot, driveside.

Those who skibike, know..

Mis-informed....

Quote Originally Posted by barratana
    Correct! Ellsworth donīt warrenty 2nd hand bikes or even new frame bought from internet!
    Somehow new frames from internet loose warrenty just by beeing sold this way....
    Ellsworth donīt even try to check who is doing it, they more than anybody else now to whom they sell their bikes....ítīs just a matter of checking serial numbers....

Bad luck for you and me....LOL

Hmmmmm. I believe Barrantana you are misinformed on new frames. Your LBS has the warranty and registration card with the frame - they will be happy to discuss. The warranty does extend to original owners, but there are some advantages for 2nd hand owners as well.

We are quite proud of our workmanship and stand behind our product. We are working on getting the exact warranty card image up on the new website for all to see.

Bottom line is that its clearly preferrable to buy new so you know for sure what you are getting [and where its been]. You also create a relationship w/ your LBS which is helpful for tech questions, component availability, etc.
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Rider x
    Hmmmmm. I believe Barrantana you are misinformed on new frames. Your LBS has the warranty and registration card with the frame - they will be happy to discuss. The warranty does extend to original owners, but there are some advantages for 2nd hand owners as well.

We are quite proud of our workmanship and stand behind our product. We are working on getting the exact warranty card image up on the new website for all to see.

Bottom line is that its clearly preferrable to buy new so you know for sure what you are getting [and where its been]. You also create a relationship w/ your LBS which is helpful for tech questions, component availability, etc.
    Hopefully a constructive PM was sent to the grbadave from you, given you spent the time to reply. I take it you are one of the newer Ellsworth peeps?--I have seen so many come and go over the years.

BTW, FYI, I don't think owning a bike should require a relationship with an LBS. Some of us are very capable if building an maintaining our bikes.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-15-2008 at 11:58 AM.