Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006

Warranty Experience

I recently had an issue with a Ellsworth rear wheel. One phone call to the Ellsworth Warranty Department and an email later I had an RA #. The wheel was sent in and about three business days after my tracking # indicated the wheel was delivered I received a phone call indicating the replacement was shipping the next day. Does it get any easier than that?

My Ellsworth warranty experience while unfortunate was very positive.

mtbr member
    Great to hear that...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Deadman,

What was the problem with your wheel? Were they Ellsworth wheels? The reason I ask is that I also have an Ellsworth with wheel problems.

Cheers
    Ashley Mckenzie

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    The wheel had an issue with the freehub.
    The replacement wheel has been delivered now too!

Now all I need is for the weather to make up it's mind. Either it needs to snow or get nice. I am tired of this not great for anything weather pattern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    wow...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you guys had problem with the wheel as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cleaning my 2009 truth and discovered a crack in my chainstay. Called Ellsworth this morning with guns loaded and ready to go to war. Boy do I feel stupid. Brand new chainstay no questions asked.
    That clears up any doubts I might have had about Ellsworth customer service. Thats how you gain a loyal customer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    hmm. your guys are lucky.. i have a hard time with my LBS.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    skip the LBS if you can. Call Ellsworth direct. Fortunately I live about 20 miles from the assembly plant. Road trip at lunch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good to hear

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well I hope my experience turns out to be positive but so far it is disappointing. I returned a frame for warranty claim last week and have yet to hear back on disposition. I sent two e-mails and left two voice mails but no response. Are they on vacation this week?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Great Service

I have nothing but good things to say about Ellsworth costumer service. I never had trouble getting in touch with them. And they had quick turn around time on my wheel. I'm sure it is you bike shop that is dropping the ball!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    anyone have thier warranty department Email?

WaveSailr, ****in-eh!!
    Jul 2004
    I also had an extremely good experience with Ellsworth.

Had a problem with a 1999 Dare frame. One call to Diego and I had a new Moment on my doorstep within a week at cost.

I'm stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ellsworth Service

wow, you have all had good experiences. My Isis frame cracked on a weld, Diego told me that it was his opinion that I did not take care of the bike and therefore would not support the warranty. One of his direct quotes: "why don't you read the warranty card so we can have an intelligent conversation about the warranty" There are few things quite as nice as being called unintelligent by a service provider. The claim was I did not maintain the bearing. it is a sealed bearing, with movement so there was nothing to maintain. The bike was professionally serviced annually as well. I am 165 lbs, do not ride overly aggressive and do not downhill or jump the bike. They had my frame for 3+ months as we tried to resolve the issue. He was able to find a similar Isis frame which he sent to me at cost. Lifetime warranty does not really mean lifetime warranty, or even limited lifetime warranty for that matter. I was more upset with the way I was treated by Diego, his tone, assertions etc. than the fact I had to pay for a new frame. A copy of the email:
    > Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:10:28 -0700
    > Subject: Warranty Coverage
    > To: e***********************
    >
    >
    > Here is the copy of the warranty card that applies to your frame. Please
    > note the first few lines. Line #7 references what I was trying to explain
    > to you. Your shock and bearing were neglected and required service.
    > This, among the other items listed in your warranty card, exclude you from
    > free replacement coverage.
    > > Please note that this is a Limited Lifetime Warranty NOT an Unlimited
    > Lifetime Warranty. Crashing it into your garage or neglecting to maintain
    > your bike, exclude it from warranty coverage. This not only applies to
    > most, if not all Limited Lifetime Warranties, but is also common sense.
    > Please bear in mind that I will do whatever I can to help in this case as
    > I thought I already was. Once you become familiar with the detail in this
    > card, we can speak intelligently about a solution for you; now having a
    > common point of reference.

Tool
    I had a great Ellsworth warranty experience this summer. The chainstay on my 2010 Truth broke. I had a new one within one week (I'm on the east coast - the replacement shipped the same day my claim was made). The claim was made thru my local dealer.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Ologist
    I did not neglect my 2004 ID frame and they would not honor lifetime warranty. It snapped at the BB weld (I am trail rider). They claimed that since the ID was no longer made (2010) I would have to pay for an upgrade. There is only 4 months of riding here in AK and I was out due to back surgery so it was idle for a good part of that time.

I had to fight hard for the frame shock to be included and I ended up with an Epiphany SST1 for $1400 using my ID's rear triangle (replaced the year before). Like most companies the first line of defense is refusal followed by negotiations to give as little as possible. It was still the cheapest solution at the time but I would have looked elsewhere if I wasn't so invested. The former lifetime warranty was a selling point in 2004. This was the only frame that I had fail in over 30 years of riding; and I DO love my Epiphany. There is a reason lifetime warranties have gone by the wayside. Aluminum fails at x number of years so what really defines lifetime?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    There is only 4 months of riding here in AK and I was out due to back surgery so it was idle for a good part of that time.
    Hey, not true! I could go ride my bike right now if I wanted, but it's not here

On the other hand, unless you're around Anchorage like me, it just might be "too darn cold" to ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ologist
    I switch to a Fatback and shelve the full sus trail bike when the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have had a very positive experience with them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Back in 1996, I bought a Truth because it was a bad ass bike and because it had a lifetime warranty. I noticed about a year ago that I had a couple of small cracks on the shock mount and not feeling like being left walking on the trail with a two piece luggage set, I called in on the warranty and I wasn't able to get a replacement. Instead I was offered a new frame or complete bike at 30% off. Not a bad deal, but I was really hoping for a new truth frame at the least. I know the bike is old, but a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. Even worse is I don't have the cash to replace it. Really bummed out, I really loved my bike!

FYI, I had an issue with one of the pivots about a year after I bought the bike. I called in and they bent over backwards to help me. I had the part, plus a second pivot with hardware the next day. Times have definitely changed.
    The Truth will set you free.