trail "cleaner"

warning about Q factor on Moment build

As I was building up my new Moment I noticed my selection of cranks/BB (RaceFace Turbines on a SFK ISIS BB 113mm) was going to cause me some serious issues. The crank arms missed the chain stays by maybe 2 mm. when spinning the cranks. Fortunately, I have other bikes with a 73mm BB shell and was able to swap over a Shimano LX using a 126mm Octalink bottom bracket. Now, I've got tons of room between the crank arms and chain stays.... So, just a heads up to anyone building up a Moment. Check the Q factor of your Crank/BB selection. In this case, wider is better
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    We have experienced chainstay clearance issues on the new Moment stays; however, that has only been while using Race Face cranks (X-Type). The Shimano (Hollowtech II) cranksets clear without interferance, as well as the FSA and TruVativ cranks. I have contacted Ellsworth (about a month or so ago) and they are now aware of the issue and are making a running production change in an effort to rectify the situation.

Thanks,

- Mondo
    Sold the Id; riding the Rogue, saving for an Evolve...I ride, I know.

mondo@thepathbikeshop.com

http://www.thepathbikeshop.com

trail "cleaner"

add RF turbines to that list

Quote Originally Posted by Id Rider
    We have experienced chainstay clearance issues on the new Moment stays; however, that has only been while using Race Face cranks (X-Type). The Shimano (Hollowtech II) cranksets clear without interferance, as well as the FSA and TruVativ cranks. I have contacted Ellsworth (about a month or so ago) and they are now aware of the issue and are making a running production change in an effort to rectify the situation.

Thanks,

- Mondo
    Mondo.. add these to your list as well. You might get by with a 118mm wide ISIS bottom bracket with these Turbine cranks but still would be tight. The Shimano (Hollowtech I) work just fine . I was sweating there for minute though
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Gotcha; thanks. We haven't installed anything older than late '06 cranks and haven't run into any of the pre-06 crank interfernace issues.

Thanks for the heads' up!

- Mondo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Is this only an issue with the new moments? I have an 05 and in the process of putting on new cranks and BB. Was planning to use the SKF as well in a 113 mm length. Would I be better off with the 118mm?? Currently running raceface deus-not sure of size-no problems with clearance.

mtbr member
    No issues with that year Moment; it's the new chainstay that has the issue...Ellsy is making a running production change to address the clearance issues. You will be OK with your build.

- Mondo