mtbr member

Used Truth Question

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a used Truth with '03 triangle and '02 rear shock assmebly. What should I expect as a fair price for the frame?

Also, I will need a build kit. Where do I find the sizes of things for like disc brakes, bb, FD, etc.? Any good places to find build kits?

Thanks!

-Robert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CU-Murph
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a used Truth with '03 triangle and '02 rear shock assmebly. What should I expect as a fair price for the frame?

Also, I will need a build kit. Where do I find the sizes of things for like disc brakes, bb, FD, etc.? Any good places to find build kits?

Thanks!

-Robert
    Try searching ebay for Truth frames...you can select a search option for "completed items." This will show you the completed auctions, which can give you an idea of what others are willing to pay.

As far as sizing goes, your best bet is to ask the seller. But you can also call Ellsworth, and they can give you the info...that's what I did when I bought a used Ellsworth Sub-22 frame. Check pricepoint.com and jensonusa.com for build kits (they have good prices). Also, ebay sometimes has build kits. When I built that Sub-22 up, I bought everything off of ebay, and everthing I bought was new except the wheels and bottom bracket. I bought a mix of 2002 and 2003 XTR, and I definitely paid a lot less than retail (but the shipping charges can add up). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Since the '04s are a just about a total redesign.

Hi,

the '01-'03 frames have really dropped in value. I'd say $850 - $1200 depending on the condition and vintage. In that time period there is like 3 different derailleur hangers and 3 different seat stays, let alone the frame changes.

mtbr member

be very selective

Hi,

-Robert
    I know you weren't asking for this but be very careful buying a used truth. It's alot to spend on a frame with no warranty. Make sure you check all the welds. Be sure of mileage and maintenence and type of rider. I bought a used truth for $1100 and it cracked twice inside of a year. They are a very light weight frame and can fatigue and crack. You can find some good ones but buyer beware. They ride awsome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur
    I know you weren't asking for this but be very careful buying a used truth. It's alot to spend on a frame with no warranty. Make sure you check all the welds. Be sure of mileage and maintenence and type of rider. I bought a used truth for $1100 and it cracked twice inside of a year. They are a very light weight frame and can fatigue and crack. You can find some good ones but buyer beware. They ride awsome!
    Did Ellsworth take care of you knowing it was a used frame, or did you have to pay the $700.00 they want for a new front triangle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrekrause
    Did Ellsworth take care of you knowing it was a used frame, or did you have to pay the $700.00 they want for a new front triangle?
    I had a bit of a hassle. After paying $160 dollars for a used chain stay off someone's returned frame from Ells that they didn't pay a cent for. I was not about to sink any more money into that money pit, I mean bike. $1100 for a used frame, $160 to Ellsworth for a used replacement chain stay, 2x $75 for bushings, and to add $700 for a used front triangle towards that total seemed ridiculous. At that price I was halfway to another good new frame. So I sold the rear end and all the parts related to it and bought a Blur for $1400 which was the crash replacement price quoted of a truth. So far I have no regrets.

How'd you know a front triangle was $700? I didn't put in my post?

Don't get me as a Ells basher, their bikes ride great and they are super light, just not as durable as I would have preferred. Just so you know I am 5'6" and 150 pounds and I ride hard but smooth. I do some 24" drops now and again but nothing that should have broken the frame twice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bushings??

Sounds like you were riding some crusty old school bushing bike.
    I think Ells stopped making those in 1999...
    You paid $1100? as a second owner. Wow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnee Ragdoll
    Sounds like you were riding some crusty old school bushing bike.
    I think Ells stopped making those in 1999...
    You paid $1100? as a second owner. Wow!
    That's not so much for a two year old truth. Go look through the used frame section and you will see that a two year old frame still fetches a price in that range. You'd be hard pressed to find a good one period because they are not a durable frame. As for crusty bushing bike, there are still a number of manufacturers who still use bushings. Turner, Titus, Klein (palomino) I think bushings suck and I will never own another one.

You are right, I bought my 'crusty' 1999 in 2001. Cartrdige bearings where just coming into their own during that time and weren't proven to be any better. There are plenty of bikes whose bearings suck worse than bushings and may even define crusty in a new way. It's funny how people like you get really bold on the internet, what do you ride? (I don't really care) You should really wake up and realize that having the newest bike doesn't make you any better or enhance your riding expereince. I tire of people using 'old school' to make themselves 'feel' superior to other people. It's about the ride not the bike.