mtbr member
    Sep 2008

URGENT-2001 Truth- What is this frame worth?

Wonder what it is worth to Bid? Is there much difference between this 2001 and the newer editions?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ellsworth-Truth-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I sold one in similar condition and the same year with stock shock for $650. I would never have paid that much myself considering no warranty and some of the issues with earlier frames.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Neg reppers r my biatches
    honestly, worth $50 MAX, really

banned
    Some sucker got it. Hope they keep an eye on the seat tube. Those 2001's are the ones that are pretty much all structurally flawed, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Some sucker got it. Hope they keep an eye on the seat tube. Those 2001's are the ones that are pretty much all structurally flawed, right?
    Yeah; the 2001's w/ the box seattube are a timebomb. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't broken already.

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Yeah; the 2001's w/ the box seattube are a timebomb. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't broken already.
    I actually have an 01 truth I bought new and have beat the ever loving sh*t out of it and I can't get it to break. I have been running it with a taller than recommended fork and ride it hard. It's pretty dinged and dented but still intact and is my backup/guest bike.

Having said that, I can't imagine spending more than a couple hundred bucks at most...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrocho
    I actually have an 01 truth I bought new and have beat the ever loving sh*t out of it and I can't get it to break. I have been running it with a taller than recommended fork and ride it hard. It's pretty dinged and dented but still intact and is my backup/guest bike.

Having said that, I can't imagine spending more than a couple hundred bucks at most...
    Wow. The shop my friend bought his from sold ~15 of these; all 15 broke at bottom of the box gusset within two years. My bud has had EVERY part on his frame replaced due to breakage. It's like George Washington's Axe Clearly something is right with your frame though.

This is a situation where I'm glad Ellsworth doesn't make them like they used to.

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    I didn't mention the best part - a month after I built up the frame in 2001 I drove into my garage with the bike on my rack - I can be a bit absentminded - and put 2 huge dents in the downtube. So I patched them and decided to just ride it hard and not care when it broke. 8 years later I still have it. So when I hear about frame breakage I just can't relate, knowing the one I got is tough as nails...

banned
    How does one "patch" a dented downtube?

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    How does one "patch" a dented downtube?
    OK, don't laugh: I filled 'em in with epoxy resin, sanded them smooth and slapped a couple of stickers on. A DIY hack, I know, but I figured the frame was ruined so what the hell. After a couple of careful rides I started pounding the bike so I could break it and justify buying a new frame. I had to find another justification.