mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Uptaded rear carbon shockstays

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/13/...ming-next-week

That was introduced by Tony in the 90's to the truth FS-2 that model had carbon Seatstays. So nothing New in the now-agging company. In think my 2012 evolve Will be for sale Soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

imo ugly

keepin' it rural
    I think it looks alright, but I think that's a bad place for carbon. The rocks picked up by my tires here in the desert would chew the crap out of those. The have already taken a good bit of anodizing off my aluminum ones, as well as the chain stay yoke.

keepin' it rural
    Here is a pic to show what I mean. This is also why I'm not a fan of the inboard bearings at that point.

Uptaded rear carbon shockstays-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334812398.489715.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The OP's link doesn't seem to be working. In any case, what's the benefit of the carbon stays? Lighter and/or stronger?

Assuming that carbon is as strong or stronger than aluminum, the dings, etc. that the stays will receive shouldn't damage them any more than they'd damage the aluminum stays. It seems like bikes that are completely carbon or carbon wheels hold up very well and they'd face the same issues. That being said, carbon does scare me a bit, but it doesn't seem like my fears are justified.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Carbon has come a long way in the past few years. You cant hold old prejudisms based on past experiences. I think the most significant thing is the 142mm through axle. Yes the carbon is lighter but that alone would not be worth the undoubtably expensive price but the extra stiffness and security of that axle might well be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It looks as though you will have to bleed your disc brakes to get the cable through there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    good point!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eklock2000 View Post
    It looks as though you will have to bleed your disc brakes to get the cable through there?
    it does and that's a complete pita. no need for internal cable routing on a brake line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone seen a price for these yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    From Ellsworth, I heard in the neighborhood of $200

mtbr member
    I tend to be pro cable routing on all things but that is a short section and all the rest of it is external. Maybe someday we will be able to afford to make carbon parts in our own country.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I guess that is not too bad. $2 per gram saved. You pay more to save grams on bars or seat posts etc.

However as I said before the bigger benefit is the security / stiffness of that 142 Mm axle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it does and that's a complete pita. no need for internal cable routing on a brake line.
    Oranges have internal routing for the brake hoses. I used to just zip tie the hose to the outside, otherwise the brake was really mushy no matter how well it was bled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    I guess that is not too bad. $2 per gram saved. You pay more to save grams on bars or seat posts etc.

However as I said before the bigger benefit is the security / stiffness of that 142 Mm axle.
    +1...I'm looking for added stiffness! I can deal with the cable routing, unless this is a prototype and they go to zip tie tabs in the final?!?!?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Retail $499...ouch!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Retail $499...ouch!
    Ouch indeed! Add the cost of a new wheel if yours is not convertible too. Probably not worth it.