Thread: upgrade to RP23

JDOM for life

upgrade to RP23

I'm in Beyond Bikes and about to order an RP23 for my Epiphany when I encountered details such as Length and Stroke. What do I need for my Epi and are there any more information that I need to know of before I buy the RP23. Thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    du , its a 7.875x2.0 stroke . Beyondbikes ought to be able to tell you that . if its more than 300 bucks you can probably get one cheaper on ebay . I bought one for my Moment it works well .

JDOM for life
    Thanks Leo! It's been a while since I biked with you guys but hopefully soon when traffic in the expressway lessens. hehehe

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have one I bought a 2008 RP23 from Fox for an EPI and it's for sale if you have an interest. Has around 6 rides on it.
    Last edited by stratmosphere; 11-13-2007 at 05:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bakalboy
    Thanks Leo! It's been a while since I biked with you guys but hopefully soon when traffic in the expressway lessens. hehehe
    Du,

Be sure to get an 08 model the placement of the air valve allows you to mount the shock with the lever being more accessable to on the fly adjustment .

Leo

VooDoo user.
    Doesn't Push industries sell brand new rp23's that they have already worked thier magic on?

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think they sell em for 500 bucks , unfortunately they dont sell or service if you are from overseas. I would have tuned my old air shock instead of buying a new one if they could have accomodated me . Although , my new shock is doing pretty good .

I slapped on a stock 08 high volume 2.25 stroke rp23 on my Moment ( much quicker / responsive now ) , smoked a few motolites and a Sworks on my last ride - i dunno if there is room for improvement in efficiency to warrant an additional 200 bucks in tuning over a stock rp23.

I hope someone tries it , so we will know if its worthy upgrade .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bakalboy
    I'm in Beyond Bikes and about to order an RP23 for my Epiphany when I encountered details such as Length and Stroke. What do I need for my Epi and are there any more information that I need to know of before I buy the RP23. Thanks fellas.
    What was the original shock that came with your Epi?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Buy the 2008 shock

The 08 RP23 is valved totally different for the Epi. First, the airstem is in a different location allowing the ProPedal lever to be mounted right side up with the lever close to the rider.

Also, the rebound and compression valving is totally different from the 07. The 08 is much more plush and has a more linear response. I talked with Ellsworth about this. If you look at the factory settings (the sticker on the side of the shock), the 08 is valved on the lowest settings (the smallest bar on the sticker is red for both rebound and compression). The 07 shock is valved on the middle setting (the middle bar on the sticker is red). I demo'd an epi with the 07 shock, but mine came with the 08. The new one is much better. By the way, I think the RP23 shock is overkill, I never use the propedal setting anyway.

Buy the 08.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I never used to use the platform damping on my Epi either, that i until i did the extended test-ride on a Motolite with an RP23. I have the Rockshox MC 3.3, which is comparable to the RP23 but with a greater range of adjustment. The main lever has 3 positions: Open, Motion Control (which has a significant range of adjustability via a secondary knob...7 or 8 clicks), and locked out.

The Motolite in 'open' mode feels like the Epi with maximum motion control. Initially i disliked the Motolite due to its lack of plushness, but it really grew on me over the course of 2 months. Now that i have given it back and am riding the Epi a lot more, i use the platform damping most of the time except for super technical climbs and extended bumpy sections. I guess i dont have the most technically perfect pedal stroke....and cranking the big gears, and out of the saddle efforts can get it to bob a bit without the platform. But flipping that lever to fully open puts a huge grin on every time i do it . I can make the Epi ride exactly the same ad the ML, but it still has this completely extra personality to call on when the opportunity presents...

Thumb

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Yeah, the only time I have any bob on the Epi that makes any difference is if I'm slamming on the cranks out of the saddle. I spin pretty smoothly and this rarely happens. When I demo'd the Motolite, I had to use the ProPedal anytime I was pedalling otherwise I would feel the Motolite bobbing (even when spinning smoothly while seated). Others have slammed me for my opinion on the lack of plushness of the Motolite. Its nice to hear that you agree with me.

JDOM for life
    Thanks man. Yeah, saw the 08's and their valve is in the frotso it can sit right side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    Du,

Be sure to get an 08 model the placement of the air valve allows you to mount the shock with the lever being more accessable to on the fly adjustment .

Leo

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    meph,
    did you read my review of the Epi vs the Motolite, you might find it interesting (though it is long)
    if not here's the link:

http://www.spokewrench.com/
    just pan down about a page and a half, and there's a link to the full review

thumb

MTB SOCAL
    If you buy a RP23 for the Epi, make sure the factory tune is on the lowest ProPedal setting. There are 3 different levels of factory tune - you can tell by the little bars on the sticker. Ellsworth specs the lowest level of factory tune. I didn't know this when I upgraded to a RP23 for my Epi and it rode way too stiff. Fox told me that all aftermarket shocks are either in the middle or highest factory setting. I had to send my shock back to Fox to have it re-tuned to the lowest setting. Now, the Epi rides like it should.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    The factory tune is what I was trying to describe in my post above. The 07 shock was tuned to the middle settings. The 08 is tuned to the lowest setting. Much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My '07 Epi (purchased in 3/07) has the light setting. When did Ellsworth make the change??

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lushman
    My '07 Epi (purchased in 3/07) has the light setting. When did Ellsworth make the change??

My 07 Epi came with the Fox Float in the lowest factory setting, so I think they were already specing Epis with the lowest factory setting in 07.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03