mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Update Review of my "Smoke" Epiphany (and pic)

You all may remember I posted a bunch of reviews of 5Ē travel bikes when I got rid of my Blur Classic. You can find them here:

Reviews and how I (finally) chose an Epi

Now that Iíve had awhile on my new Epiphany, I wanted to update on my riding experiences. After moving the parts from my Blur, Iíve ridden hundreds of miles in Colorado and Utah. Iíve hit epic 30+ mile rides as well as some smokiní downhills. The bike is just under 26.5 pounds. I could drop some weight but I love my barends (I know they look ridiculous with the low risers) and I donít have carbon anything on the bike (except, ironically, the barends).

My Epiphany is slightly different than the one I reviewed. Evidently mine is an í08 as it came with the new í08 Fox RP23 shock. Furthermore, the serial number has 08 on it so I think itís an í08. The í07 demo had ďThose that KnowĒ on the top tube while mine doesnít. Ellsworth says that there are some secret changes for the í08 while I believe that there are no true functional differences between í07 and Ď08.

Build Quality: Excellent. The ďSmokeĒ anodization is absolutely stunning (and doesnít scratch). Weld quality is amazing. The carbon brace/magnesium rocker is unbelievable. I canít say much more.

Climbing: I have to say that the í08 RP23 is VERY different than the í07 I demoíd. The í08 is much smoother and improves the suspension. The new valving is very different from the previous year and itís ďright side upĒ so the ProPedal lever is very easy to reach. I donít use or need the ProPedal mode. On long climbs Iíll occasionally switch it on although it doesnít seem to improve pedaling efficiency. I canít see any pedal bob with the shock totally open. It climbs like a mountain goat and soaks up bumps as I pedal while sitting. My Blur would transmit much more of the bumpy terrain to my butt while climbing. Best climbing bike I have ever ridden.

Descending: I feel like Iím cheating. I just blast through trails that used to be technical. It probably has something to do with the more upright riding position of this rig as well as the >5Ē of travel when compared to my Blur. While cranking downhill I still feel the suspension moving just as well as when Iím not pedaling. This thing is an absolute blast to ride downhill. Very stiff frame. Iíve done some big drops (4-5 feet is a big drop for me) and I canít feel the shock bottom although the o-ring tells me Iím using all the travel. Performs better than the demo bike.

Downsides: I think it looks a little weird with all the exposed seatpost (I had to get a really long Thomson post). I also had to get a special Chris King spacer so the new í08 TALAS knob clears the downtube. Those that say itís an Ellsworth only design flaw are wrong. There are so many bikes that have this problem (Intense) that Chris King makes the spacer available to everyone (Ventana also sells them). Iím also a little reticent to seriously launch this thing for fear of laying it down. It would be like owning a Ferrari Enzo: itís so nice Iíd be scared to really drive it for fear of wrecking. These bikes are also pretty rare so I suspect many people may not have a local dealer.

Finally, this is a really expensive bike. I didnít pay and couldnít afford full price. At least it looks like a really expensive bike. Although I love it, I do not think its performance justifies the price. No bike design available today is worth $2400 for the frame alone. I really canít believe people will pay over $6000 dollars for a Specialized. First, itís a Taiwanese built Specialized and, second, you could buy a freaking car (or a custom built Moots/Titus/Seven/etc Ti bike)! Note that I mention Taiwanese built in reference to how much it costs to build the bike, not in reference to the build quality of the frame.

Best thing about this bike when compared to my Blur: IT DOESNíT CREAK!

Hereís a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great bike, it was my first choice also, but I couldn't swing it simply because of the cost. The problem I had was I had waited too long to upgrade my parts and was in need of a complete rig. $4700 was the bottom line with the spec I wanted and I couldn't justify it so I bought an 08 Yeti 575 for $3300.

Don't worry about the bar ends, I already miss mine. The new RP23 is different, you're right. I usually run propedal on 1 all the time but the differences between 1, 2 and 3 are a lot more drastic than before. Much more range of adjustment.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great write up meph. I've had my Epi for about a year and a half and am still totally fired up about the bike. It's such a gas to ride. Also, I concur with everthing you said, although I would be a little afraid to do a 5 foot drop on it.

Anyway, glad to hear you're digging the bike and thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    What size of the Epi in the pic?

Rolling
    Nice ride. I have a hard time seeing how it is only 26.5 lbs...but I guess air fork and shock, xtr, candy pedals and minimal discs might be the ticket.

I didn't know people pay $6000 for a specialized...WOW.

Maybe they need to look at Scott's 20.5 lb $10k spark ltd rig.

http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/57/spark

brainwashed jingoist
    Nice ride, but way to much $$$ for my budget.
    Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I can't afford full price for this thing either.

I was fortunate and didn't pay normal price for the frame. I got the frame on blowout locally for about $100 less than one would pay for one of those new 08 Yeti 575 frames. It was supposed to be an 07 but they gave me an 08 for the same price.

I buy parts used or on serious sale. I've been slowly upgrading for a couple of years on my Blur so I just swapped the parts over. I'd guess my full build was somwhere near $3000 complete.

mnt bike laws of physics
    xtr444, to answer your question, it is a medium size.

I tested an Epiphany earlier this year and was dissapointed in the bump absorption in the rear. My Prophet with a Radium shock is way more cush and there is minimal bob. I am pretty sure it was the RP23. I have never liked a single Fox Shox on any bike that I have tried in the past. My Carbon Rush came with an RP23 and it was soon to be replaced with a 2007 Manitou 3way with lever adjust platform. It is very sweet but I am considering the DT Swiss platform shock because of the remote adjuster and I like its design.

I thought it may be that the rear linkage of the Epiphany is progressive which made it ramp up to fast, but mabey I just need to ride one with another shock. I found it hard to believe that everyone on this forum was telling me how well it climbed after I rode it with such a harsh rearend. I race very competitively and my style is to sit and spin while the bike absorbs the terrain and keeps the rear wheel planted, but this cannot be done when the terrain is bucking my back all to hell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    xtr444, to answer your question, it is a medium size.

I tested an Epiphany earlier this year and was dissapointed in the bump absorption in the rear. My Prophet with a Radium shock is way more cush and there is minimal bob. I am pretty sure it was the RP23. I have never liked a single Fox Shox on any bike that I have tried in the past. My Carbon Rush came with an RP23 and it was soon to be replaced with a 2007 Manitou 3way with lever adjust platform. It is very sweet but I am considering the DT Swiss platform shock because of the remote adjuster and I like its design.

I thought it may be that the rear linkage of the Epiphany is progressive which made it ramp up to fast, but mabey I just need to ride one with another shock. I found it hard to believe that everyone on this forum was telling me how well it climbed after I rode it with such a harsh rearend. I race very competitively and my style is to sit and spin while the bike absorbs the terrain and keeps the rear wheel planted, but this cannot be done when the terrain is bucking my back all to hell.
    Something was definatley wrong with the setup/shock. The ICT is actually pretty linear and doesn't really ramp up much at all. I have very much the same riding style as you and my Epi just soaks up everything while seated, with nary an issue. It's very plush. I have an RP23 btw.