mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Turner Burner, Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X Vs. SC Blur for 24 hour racing

Someone please help!!!
    I am looking at the Turner Burner, Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X Vs. SC Blur
    I am currently riding a SC Blur. I am looking for another frame for 24 hour racing. The Blur is great don’t get me wrong but I want something that will climb better without the brake jack and still descend as well or better than the Blur. Can someone please tell me the good and bad of any of these frames and give their recommendations. Thank you

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soh316
    Someone please help!!!
    I am looking at the Turner Burner, Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X Vs. SC Blur
    I am currently riding a SC Blur. I am looking for another frame for 24 hour racing. The Blur is great don’t get me wrong but I want something that will climb better without the brake jack and still descend as well or better than the Blur. Can someone please tell me the good and bad of any of these frames and give their recommendations. Thank you
    All of the bikes you mentioned should be a good choice. The Blur is the best of the pack for out-of-the-saddle pedaling. The other 3 bikes have Horst link 4-bar suspensions.

Of the Other 3 bikes, I'd go for the Burner first and then the Racer X. I wouldn't race a Truth. I think that it's not quite strong enough to take the punishment. YMMV.

I think that the Racer X will make a slightly better racer and the Burner a slightly better trail bike. The Burner would be better in med-fests given it's zirks and bushing setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The Racer-x is probably the best choice for racing. I ride a love my Burner which is plusher but will bob more than the racer-x out of the saddle. Personally, I think the Truth is to tall in bb height and would cross it off the list for that reason alone. Add that you can get the racer-x for $1550 or the Burner for $949 and I would ask why you should spend $1995 for a Truth.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

But for endurance racing?

Personally (and I know others disagree) I prefer the more laid back angles of my Turner XCE (basically a Burner) for longer rides. When I get really, really tired, it's nice to have stable steering. WRT the out of the saddle bobbing, I just did a 10+ hour 80 mile race in WV, and I don't think I got out of the saddle once Obviously your riding style may vary.

FWIW, the guy I did the race with had a Truth and it performed great as well.

Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Of the frames you mentioned, none will descend as well as your Blur. Your Blur has more travel and a slacker head angle. And with non-lock out shocks none of them will do a standing sprint as well as a properly set-up Vpp bike.

By virtue of having longer travel i would put the Truth second in descending ability. The BB is high but you get used to it quickly unless you have short legs, then you should maybe avoid the Truth or Id.

sock puppet

wouldnt race the Truth??

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    All of the bikes you mentioned should be a good choice. The Blur is the best of the pack for out-of-the-saddle pedaling. The other 3 bikes have Horst link 4-bar suspensions.

Of the Other 3 bikes, I'd go for the Burner first and then the Racer X. I wouldn't race a Truth. I think that it's not quite strong enough to take the punishment. YMMV.

I think that the Racer X will make a slightly better racer and the Burner a slightly better trail bike. The Burner would be better in med-fests given it's zirks and bushing setup.
    I beg to differ...

just completed 24 hours event, second this year, and preparing for the Whistler one in 10 days... 04 Truth with 5th Element Air rear shock performed flawlessly. So far no problems with the frame at all. Zilch!

Mind you, i am a 205lb, 6' 1" rider and i ride XC very aggressively. If the durability of the frame is concern, need not be... Truth is an excellent choice...

You will not make a mistake if you go with Titus either. Although I think that the craftmanship of the Truth is better. Dont know much about the Burner, but I am sure it is a very good bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

... and if we just ... Blur

I can only comment on the Blur, and I made the switch from an FSR.

The blur sucks up the bumps and lets me descend faster than anyone (great for scaring riders at night during 24 hour races) , and I've noticed that I'm much quicker on the single track.

Initially, I felt a little slower climbing, however, after adjusting the setup a little (seat position, stem - rise and length) I'm now probably as quick as I was on the lighter FSR. The bike has performed well in 24 hour races.

Like all bikes, it requires some maintenance. As long as you take care of it, and your not to FAT (250lbs +) you won't have any problems with the blur.

Like everyone else, I think the bottom line is your personal preference (what looks nicer
    :-) ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

All good choices...

I've rode/raced a RacerX off and on for the last four seasons and as bikes go it climbs exceptionally well, but all the bikes you listed are excellent and IMO the differences between them will probably depend more on fit and setup.

That said the RacerX isn't very plush on the decents and it's stiff suspension makes it break loose during hard braking. The handling is very fast as well which makes it very easy to pick and hold the fast lines, but at the same time you have to stay on your "toes" to avoid oversteer.

For 24 races I'd go with a plusher ride with an adjustable fork that you can tune to the course. Unlike a short race, you'll find yourself in the saddle a lot more and a plusher ride will help the back...

mtbr member
    These are all four some of the best supspension bikes on the market period. I ride, race, and love my Truth, but when it breaks - and it will, I accept that, NO bike that's light enough to race XC on is expected to stand up to more than 3-5 years of hard, technical trail riding unless it's titanium, and even that's questionable- I intend to try both the Racer-X and the Burner and probably some others just because by that point, I'll be itching to try something new. So, my advice is to keep an eye out amongst friends, at shops, and at events for people on the bikes you're looking at that you can borrow to pedal around. What feels best? What makes your heart sing when you look at it? Try going to the websites of the companies and seeing where the nearest shop is that demos the bikes. If it's within two hours, go and pay for a day of riding on the bike. If you're going to be spending 2500-plus for a bike, isn't worth 50-60 dollars to try it on a trail for the day? And, if you decide to get the bike, most shops will apply the cost of the demo to the purchase if you ask... Peace Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks for your input

I just ordered an 05 Truth. Now if I could just decide on Black or Blue.

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Good job! Black

i have a black moment and it just looks smart i saw the blue truth in Freeborn..(BBAAA crap Shop ptfffffph), anyway i just thought it looks a bit passive however if you love the blue i think it also does look sweet with a black back end!! Not that i have ever seen a truth that way, but the moment looked good like that, although that was a darker blue. ramble ramble ramble, however thats just me. i'd say Black!!!
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

Trail rider and racer
    I just ordered an 05 Truth. Now if I could just decide on Black or Blue.
    I think you made a good choice. Mine sure has not let me down for endurance racing.

Black, seems to be the ellsworth Colour, but the blue is hot too. One thing to keep in mind, is that the rear triangles are all now black, so that may influence your decision a little more.

Trevor!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do any of you have a black one with the new black rear triangle that you could send a pic of?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

It's finally built

and I raced it this past weekend. I love it. I can't believe how much better it feels than my Blur did. Ellsworth really seems to be onto something with the 05 Truth. It takes off like a rocket, climbs anything, and descends like it's on rails. In terms of stiffness it feels far stiffer in the rear than my Blur was. Also the brakejack is gone. It was quite nice to be going downhill and grab a hand full of brake and actually slow down without skidding, just nice even traction. It is a dream bike. I love it what else is there to say? Thanks for everyone's input.

sock puppet

heh...

and I raced it this past weekend. I love it. I can't believe how much better it feels than my Blur did. Ellsworth really seems to be onto something with the 05 Truth. It takes off like a rocket, climbs anything, and descends like it's on rails. In terms of stiffness it feels far stiffer in the rear than my Blur was. Also the brakejack is gone. It was quite nice to be going downhill and grab a hand full of brake and actually slow down without skidding, just nice even traction. It is a dream bike. I love it what else is there to say? Thanks for everyone's input.
    now you have that stupid grin imprinted on your face eh?

congrats... great bike. have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Heck yeah

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    now you have that stupid grin imprinted on your face eh?

congrats... great bike. have fun!
    I never thought this bike would feel that much better than the Blur because overall I loved the Blur. The truth feels so much better all the way around I can't believe it. It was awesome racing on it this weekend. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I couldn't be happier with my choice.
    That is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I never thought this bike would feel that much better than the Blur because overall I loved the Blur. The truth feels so much better all the way around I can't believe it. It was awesome racing on it this weekend. I couldn't be happier with my choice.
    Congrats on the new bike!!!! Enjoy the ride. That's what it's all about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All those bikes are cool, but you may want to consider the Sugar 292. They roll incredibly fast!

They are doing especially well in the 24hr races!
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/happenings/index.asp

sock puppet

at this level, bikes dont win races...

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    All those bikes are cool, but you may want to consider the Sugar 292. They roll incredibly fast!

They are doing especially well in the 24hr races!
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/happenings/index.asp
    it is the RIDER that wins the race... Chris is simply the best right now. Give him any bike, and he will still be the BEST.