3TT
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Truth VS Racer-X

I'm riding a Titus Racer-X and interested in switching to the Truth, the main reason being that the Truth geometry is correct for 100 mm fork. Have anyone ridden both of them and can give me unbiased opinion? How do they compare? From what I have heard and read, they are two top performing racable trailbike but the extra $$$ gets you the awesome workmanship on the Truth. I'm a clysdale and will use it mainly for trail riding. How much pressure do you put in a rear shock? On many bikes, I need to put 230-250 lbs. to get the correct sag.

The Ancient One
    It sounds like you're too heavy for an air shock on a Racer X. And the Racer X is designed for and only warrantied for an air shock because of its falling shock ratio.

If you get a new '04 Truth the leverage ratio is lower and remains constant throughout travel, so that an air shock works fine.

Both bikes pedal very well, but I think the Truth is probably more efficient. That's something that you can't really feel. It shows up as reduced time and fatigue over very long rides.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TT
    I'm riding a Titus Racer-X and interested in switching to the Truth, the main reason being that the Truth geometry is correct for 100 mm fork. Have anyone ridden both of them and can give me unbiased opinion? How do they compare? From what I have heard and read, they are two top performing racable trailbike but the extra $$$ gets you the awesome workmanship on the Truth. I'm a clysdale and will use it mainly for trail riding. How much pressure do you put in a rear shock? On many bikes, I need to put 230-250 lbs. to get the correct sag.
    My simple point is this. When I rode a Racer-X, it felt like a hardtail and the truth felt like an plush ride. Nothing against the Racer-x, but when I rode it though, might as well ride my hardtail, and that goes with the Maverick as well.

As far as racing, I think the truth is an awesome race bike for technical terrain or endurance racing. I still think for a two hour race, I'd ride a hard tail. I could never do as well on my truth compared to my hardtail but my back ached less. In that sense a racer-x may be the better race rig for 2 hr races.

3TT
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for your answer. I can't get a 100X, a Hammerhead, or a Turner here in Thailand. The same importer who imported my Racer-X is now switching to Ellsworth. If I import a 100X or a Hammerhead privately it would cost the same as the Truth.

The leverage ratio for the Racer-X is quite low. I put about 140-150 psi. in the rear shock. That's one reason I like the bike. I also tried the 5th Element Air shock and liked the way it pedals but I sold it off due to the high failure rate.

mtbr member

A clydesdale? Read this.

I don't know how much you weigh, but if you weigh over 220lbs, read the following (copied off Ellsworth's Rear shock choices and options FAQ) especially the bottom line. Anyway, if you weigh less than 220lbs an air shock should be ok (at least from a warranty perspective).

Coil shocks suggested for:
    riders over 180 lbs. on Joker/Isis
    riders over 180 lbs. on 2000-2003 Truth/Id
    riders over 220 lbs. on 2004 Truth/Id
    Ignoring the weight/shock type recomendation can affect the service life and warranty of your frame.

3TT
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the info. I guess I have to stick with my Racer-X and not join the Ellsworth gang. The Romic shock with the Ti spring is just way too expensive. Now I don't what bike to buy. After the Racer-X the only bike left to be desired is really the Truth.