Thread: Truth vs Mach 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Truth vs Mach 4

Anybody compared these? I've ridden the heck out of a Truth for years. Been a great bike. Time to replace. I'd also consider Epi, but how does that extra suspension affect a long, steep climb? If I had to chose, I prefer going up over going down.

mtbr member
    what type of climbing do you do? technical? fire road? the dw link bike because of its chain tension/antisquat excels at fire road climbs. a four bar bike will be more active during climbing (read bobbing during standing on a fire road climb). being on the east coast i prefer an active suspension under power. i have a knolly on order myself. the dwlink design excels under power because of the anti squat engineered into the design but that does come at a price during technical climbing and in some cases small bump compliance.

all designs are a compromise, you just have to decide where you want those compromises to be. four bars rely on the shock to combat excessive compression under power. mini link bikes like dw use chain tension, on some of the designs you can feel pedal feed back under power in the granny ring. i guess what i'm saying is you need to decide what your ideal suspension platform is and then pick between similar designs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

thanks for feedback

This is good detail. Even the fire roads I tend to ride are not so smooth. The only time I ever stand and pedal is to get over a very short steep rise, or on an insanely steep longer pitch. Truth always impresses me at this ability.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    what type of climbing do you do? technical? fire road? the dw link bike because of its chain tension/antisquat excels at fire road climbs. a four bar bike will be more active during climbing (read bobbing during standing on a fire road climb). being on the east coast i prefer an active suspension under power. i have a knolly on order myself. the dwlink design excels under power because of the anti squat engineered into the design but that does come at a price during technical climbing and in some cases small bump compliance.

all designs are a compromise, you just have to decide where you want those compromises to be. four bars rely on the shock to combat excessive compression under power. mini link bikes like dw use chain tension, on some of the designs you can feel pedal feed back under power in the granny ring. i guess what i'm saying is you need to decide what your ideal suspension platform is and then pick between similar designs.
    I disagree with the "things will never improve or get better and there'll always be a big compramise" line of thinking.

Although my 4-bar bikes do and did, "dig in" during the climbs and were very active, the amount of squat was annoying and the short steep "power" climbs were the worst, the harder you pushed, the further it went. I found none of these poor traits with the DW bikes, and in fact I found gobs of uphill traction during rough stuff (Sedona) to be it's strength. Older high-pivot single-pivot bikes had lots of chain interaction and the chain tension wasn't tuned as with the DW bikes to not interfere with suspension, but that's a long time ago and bikes have come a long ways.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I disagree with the "things will never improve or get better and there'll always be a big compramise" line of thinking.

Although my 4-bar bikes do and did, "dig in" during the climbs and were very active, the amount of squat was annoying and the short steep "power" climbs were the worst, the harder you pushed, the further it went. I found none of these poor traits with the DW bikes, and in fact I found gobs of uphill traction during rough stuff (Sedona) to be it's strength. Older high-pivot single-pivot bikes had lots of chain interaction and the chain tension wasn't tuned as with the DW bikes to not interfere with suspension, but that's a long time ago and bikes have come a long ways.
    i've still felt pedal feedback on all the mini link bikes i've ridden to varying degrees. and i do not find that knollys squat as much as the turners i have owned did. that chain tension that counteracts bobbing does come at a price. it has to

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll agree that the DWL bikes climb far better. You will find the Mach 4 to be stiffer as well.