Thread: Truth vs. Id

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Truth vs. Id

Has anyone ridden both of these bikes? Has anyone ridden the CA Edition of the Id and the Truth? How do the rides compare? Is the Truth great for climbing but only fair on downhill and technical downhill? Likewise, are the IDs great for downhill and technical, but not such great climbers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have both

Quote Originally Posted by bicylemark
    Has anyone ridden both of these bikes? Has anyone ridden the CA Edition of the Id and the Truth? How do the rides compare? Is the Truth great for climbing but only fair on downhill and technical downhill? Likewise, are the IDs great for downhill and technical, but not such great climbers?

I should say I had both, I sold my truth because I did not ride it as much after I built the ID. he ID climbs as well and even better when the going gets rough. I have tried a bunch of r-shocks and my two favs are 7.78 x 2 flote ava and 7.78 x 2.25 vanilla RC. I run a Maverick fork up front so I need the little extra length in the shock to keep the head angle where I like it. If I still had my fox fork up front I would run a 7.5 length (CA ID). IMO the truth was a great trail bike and racer,road one for 5 years or so but the little extra travel and slacker angles of the ID make trail ridding more fun and make it a better all around trail bike. It all depends on your skill level and what ride you are comming from.

Aloha

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bicylemark
    Both here too. I had a truth until it broke but I loved the bike.

However, I ride really technical terrain and aggressively so I went with an Id for it's replacement.

The Id is definitely heavier but I think it rides just as well. It's certainly less efficient out of the saddle with a 5" fork on it compared to a 4" on the truth. But I climb everything here that I did on the truth and we do a lot of climbing on the front range. Sometime on the 3000' climbs I get a little wiped riding than when I did it on my Truth.

I have a romic with I2I of 7.75" now (replacement) which starts approaching the CA Id in specs. It slackened the head angle slightly and I like it better. My Truth had an even steeper head angle than my Id. It might make it easier of steep switchback climbs to have a truth but you can do it with an Id--and even a CA Id.

However, I don't think anyone needs more than a Truth if they don't ride really rocky terrain. If it's smooth singletrack 90% of the time, the truth works well.

Due to the higher BB on the Id, you will set up higher and that is noticeable when you are used to riding a Truth. Plus, the headtube is longer so the bar will set higher than on the truth unless you use less spacers, a negative rise stem or a flat bar.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    However, I don't think anyone needs more than a Truth if they don't ride really rocky terrain. If it's smooth singletrack 90% of the time, the truth works well.
    The Truth handles rocky and technical terrain great, not quite as good as the ID or 5 Spot, but I would venture to say 90% as good. The 5" fork up front compared to a 4" fork on the Truth really helps w/ the bigger hits and drops. I regularly do 3' drops on the Truth and the suspension handles it no problem. Of course it depends on the terrain you ride, but I would recommend the Truth as a trailbike even here on the front range.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    The Truth handles rocky and technical terrain great, not quite as good as the ID or 5 Spot, but I would venture to say 90% as good. The 5" fork up front compared to a 4" fork on the Truth really helps w/ the bigger hits and drops. I regularly do 3' drops on the Truth and the suspension handles it no problem. Of course it depends on the terrain you ride, but I would recommend the Truth as a trailbike even here on the front range.
    I broke my Truth (twice) mostly riding on the front range. (Down trails such as Mustang at white Ranch, Apex, Dakota ridge, Lion gulch near Estes park, S. St. Vrain)

rr
    I don't do PC
    I broke my Truth (twice) mostly riding on the front range. (Down trails such as Mustang at white Ranch, Apex, Dakota ridge, Lion gulch near Estes park, S. St. Vrain)
    Was yours the 01' also? I can't remember you saying on your posts. I think mine is pretty durable-hopefully!, if not, I will probably go with a Foes or something. I mainly ride our trails here in the Springs and Teller County area. Of course, I like to do sections of the Colorado trail and go to Fruita/Moab every year, Monarch Crest also. We are going to Tahoe this year and I will be on the Truth so we will see if it holds up.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Was yours the 01' also? I can't remember you saying on your posts. I think mine is pretty durable-hopefully!, if not, I will probably go with a Foes or something. I mainly ride our trails here in the Springs and Teller County area. Of course, I like to do sections of the Colorado trail and go to Fruita/Moab every year, Monarch Crest also. We are going to Tahoe this year and I will be on the Truth so we will see if it holds up.
    Yep, I had one of the 01's. If you have a newer or older version, you're probably better off. I just don't *personally* feel comfortable riding a bike where you can hear a sweet soda can "ping" when you tap the downtube.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yep, I had one of the 01's. If you have a newer or older version, you're probably better off. I just don't *personally* feel comfortable riding a bike where you can hear a sweet soda can "ping" when you tap the downtube.
    Its an 03', my 01' broke last July in the usual spot-where did you have problems w/ yours?