mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Truth sizing for small people

Doh. I just posted this in the Santa Cruz forum!

Anyway, I'm 5'4", 125 lbs. and intersted in a Truth. I see the XS is comparable to a 16". I'm just wondering if the XS will still be too big. I'm currently riding a older Blur (5 years old) and I think the size is small.

Also, does anyone know the weight on a stock Truth with the XO components?

Thanks!

~~~
    If your Blur currently fits you well, you can use that as a reference. Especially take note of the effective top tube length. A bike can still fit you well even if you don't have a lot of standover height, but if you're too stretched out, there's nothing you could do about that. After you measure the frame, take note of your current stem length, seatpost and saddle combo, etc. You can get a good idea of what you need in terms of frame size and cockpit components in an Ells.

Check out the Truth set up database thread. You can get pretty light with XO components!

MTB SOCAL
    Although the Ellsworth Truth XS is listed with a seat tube length of 16, it has a effective top tube length of only 21.3 inches. The SC Blur size small is listed with a 16.3" seat tube and an effective top tube of 21.8 inches. I would assume the two bikes could be set up very similarly. The cockpit on the XS Truth may be slightly more compact than on the small Blur. And, since you are a light rider, you can build the Truth up with a lighter wheelset and components. I don't see why you can't get it to the 23-24 lb range if you are willing to spend some $$. Try to test ride the Truth if you can. I went from a Intense Spider (VPP frame like the Blur) to a Titus Moto-Lite (FSR), and now I ride an Ellsworth Epiphany and Moment. I love the ICT rear suspension! Good luck on your bike selection.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    5' 4" is best for the small Truth, XS is usally for the riders 5' 2" and under. With a Float R the frame will be around 5.4 lbs

VooDoo user.
    Honestly you are likely on the cusp between the XS and the SM. Where are you located? I know where you can throw a leg over a XS if your in Front range CO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i'm ard 5"7 using a small truth that's the 05 version with 22.25" top tube. the 07-08 small will be 22.5" so i'm guessing the XS will suit you better