mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Truth Sizing for 5'7" height.

Been out of MTB for a while now, but looking to get back in.

I fell out of riding when the Truth hit the market and have wanted once since.

I'm 5'7" with shortish legs. Wondering if a small with a longer stem/set back post might be better than bumping up to a Medium...anyone with a similar situation?

Thanks

T.W.O.
    I'm 5'7" shorter leg, longer torso, riding a small Moment with short 50mm or 70mm stem no problem. Also ride the Med the fit and stand over is ok but preferred the smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. The medium worked very well for me.

Rush Carter
    CS West Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You may be suited better for the medium. a 90 or 100mm stem may fit you perfect. Your wheelbase will be slightly longer on the medium (a bit more stable) where as the shorter wheelbase is a bit more snappier around corners.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Professionally Fitted on an MTB

I used to work at a bike shop and got professionally fitted on one of those "bike kits". I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. The most important thing to look for is the effective top tube + stem length.
    According to the kit, my MTB virtual measurement needs to be 65cm.

I went with the small Epiphany and below shows why:
    Effective TT: 56.5cm
    Stem Length: 9cm
    Total Virtual Length: 65.5cm

Basically I'm at 65cm since the stem also has a 5 degree rise, which shortens the effective length a bit.

Furthermore, if I would have gotten a medium frame (59.7cm effective TT), my stem would have had to be 5cm or 50mm. I'm building a trail bike, not a downhill bike, so 50mm would have been too short.
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Seems like a pretty cramped cockpit (small frame + 90mm stem). I guess it will depend if you prefer to be stretched out while riding or slightly more upright......its probably more of a personal choice

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Truth is a xc race rig . At 5'7" your a grey area for med or small.. Either one will work. I'm 5'10" and have a 02 truth with a 100mm Thompson . Fits perfect for me. My inseam is 30.5 " ... I like a bit more laid out cockpit for a xc ride myself or it starts to feel like a bmx. Call Ellsworth , they will help you over the phone..

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh yeah, I went with medium and it's my favorite bike period....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ATOMICned
    Seems like a pretty cramped cockpit (small frame + 90mm stem). I guess it will depend if you prefer to be stretched out while riding or slightly more upright......its probably more of a personal choice
    You're right, I prefer to be a bit more upright for those occasional hucks and drop offs. Images of the newly built Epi coming soon; I couldn't wait to get it on the dirt. I'll have my wife or mistress take a pic of me on the bike so the OP can see how I am situated on the bike.
    "'I'm here to guard and protect your heart." (Kasey to Ali, The Bachelorette 2010)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am 5'8" 30" inseam and rode a medium for a few years and switched to a small last year. The small fits me a whole lot better.