mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Truth: Silver Chainstay vs. Black Chainstay

I have a used medium '06 Truth (I think it's an '06 based on the shock pivot weld but the serial # seems to suggest that the frame was made in '05). It has a silver asymetrical chainstay. I haven't seen many, if any, silver asymetrical chainstays -- all the ones I see have black chainstays. Is the silver chainstay a custom option by Ellsworth?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rolling
    The silver is the newer one. I have one on my Id as a matter of fact.

here is a link to some threads I posted on the black stay and the newer silver stay.

Id 2.5: Chainstay beautylicious

mtbr member
    I donīt know, but mine is a 2003 model and they are silver....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver bullet
    I have an 06 Truth that came with the silver chain and seatstays and had a bearing fit problem with one of the chianstays. Ells replaced the chainstay and seatstay with a black setup. The only difference I could see was that the black was disc specific. It didn't have any V brake posts.

Rolling
    dllq is talking about assymetrical stays not the old normal stays. Most of the normal stays were silver. There were very few black normal stays but the initial run of assym stays were black, having a smooth finish rather than shot peened finish.

Silver bullet
    I'm talking assym too. My 06 is an early one that I actually bought end of 05 and had the silver assym stays just like dllq's. When Ells replaced them with the black the only difference I could see was the V-brake bosses weren't on the black. I couldn't compare side by side because I had to send the silver stays back to get the new ones.

Rolling
    I was specifically refering to Barratana. I should have quoted him.

mtbr member
    Hi liderman,

You are correct! mine is not an assymetrical stay, I suppose that only after 2006 or 2007 they are assymetrical....I have to live with an "old" model ... LOL

My mistake....