Thread: Truth Questions

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Truth Questions

What is the difference between an '02 and and '03 truth? The serial number on my mainframe seems to indicate an '02 but the rear says '03. Are there any visual clues? Or maybe the rear has been replaced.

Also, unrelated to the previous issue, is there a seal that is supposed to go around the cable housing for the rear derailleur where it enters frame? After muddy rides I must be adding some weight to my frame from all the crap that can get down there. Thanks.

Rolling
    "The difference between an '02 and '03 is the amount E.W. charges to exercise the lifetime warranty"

All joking aside, go here:

What year it this truth ?

and I don't believe there is a seal. You can probably dab some silicon and make is sealed if you really want to. You would be hard pressed to fill that stay will crud. If you held it under water, it might fill after several minutes but eventually drain.

However, on my Id, after the cable housing kept falling apart from there to the seat tube, I went full housing from the seat tube to the rear D.

So are you the second owner of that truth? If so, the stay might have indeed been replaced. It's a common thing that cracks on em.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-12-2005 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by farley325
    What is the difference between an '02 and and '03 truth? The serial number on my mainframe seems to indicate an '02 but the rear says '03. Are there any visual clues? Or maybe the rear has been replaced.

Also, unrelated to the previous issue, is there a seal that is supposed to go around the cable housing for the rear derailleur where it enters frame? After muddy rides I must be adding some weight to my frame from all the crap that can get down there. Thanks.
    I don't think there is a visual clue and if my memory is correct they slackened the headtube 1/2 degree for '03.

The rear chainstay and seatstay (if using discs) were problem areas for '02. It could have been replaced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks for the info

Thanks for the replys. I did buy it used knowing about Ellsworth's problems going into it but I got a good deal. The rear has the gussetted disc brake so it was probably replaced with an '03 if the '02 models didn't have that. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by farley325
    .......Also, unrelated to the previous issue, is there a seal that is supposed to go around the cable housing for the rear derailleur where it enters frame? After muddy rides I must be adding some weight to my frame from all the crap that can get down there. Thanks.
    When i first put my frame together the 4mm derailleur housing was really loosey goosey in there and could not be inserted with a ferrule. I used a 5mm brake housing to get a tighter fit and its been working pretty good for the last 3 years. Never occurred to me that a lot of crud could get down in there too.

I also plugged the 5 other holes in the rear triangle with various rubber plugs i got at Pep Boys. I've gotten pebbles inside past frames and that rattle can drive you nuts.