shred my gnar

Truth on Craigslist

what do you guys think?

'04 frame... nicely built-up. a buddy of mine is interested and i am going to go check it out with him (he is just getting into riding) to check for obvious issues... but what does the ellsworth crew think of this steed....

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/bik/625493455.html

mtbr member
    Looks nice but I'd be so cautious of buying a used Ellsworth.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Looks nice but I'd be so cautious of buying a used Ellsworth.
    because... ???

(the dude that owns it is maybe 160 and the guy looking at it is 170 tops.)

i remember ellsworth frames getting a rep for cracking on the seat tube but i didnt think it was the truth frame... or was it?

thanks

mtbr member
    Because if it breaks you have no warranty. I had an Ellsworth and had no issues but many others have had problems. If you don't mind not having a warranty then there's no problem. I think the 04's were petty good in the seat tube area.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

shred my gnar
    so, do you think it is more questionable to buy a used ellsworth than say, an intense, turner or foes?

not trying to be an ass just curious as to why someone would be "so" cautious to buy a used ellsworth. warranty is not an issue or else he wouldnt buy a used bike in the first place. just seems like a smokin deal for an entry level guy to get in on a bike that went for close to 5k new a few years back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    2 months ago I rolled the dice and purchased a 2007 Moment, used and sight unseen, for $1200. I was willing to sacrifice a warranty for the $1200 difference in price for a new frame. No regrets here.

~~~
    No problems. Just take the time to THOROUGHLY inspect the frame, and ask lots of questions. Having purchased lots of used components and bikes on craigs, I think most people won't knowingly sell you a damaged bike. If you don't feel comfortable with the seller, walk away. There will always be deals to be found.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    so, do you think it is more questionable to buy a used ellsworth than say, an intense, turner or foes?
    yes.
    the reports of cracks seem to be much more widespread.
    when i was considering a moment, I asked at the LBS and the guy told me the story about how great Ells was getting the frame replaced and shipped to the resort for him...but it did fail, that was the first problem.
    That being said, I cracked my Ventana, so nothing is immune.