mtbr member

Trip to Fruita...Rent a bike or take my Truth?

Howdy!

I'll be in Fruita in Oct for three days of riding and am wondering if I should rent a bike or take mine. I have a buddy that lives in CO and is going with us so it would be pretty simple to ship my ride out there and have it returned.

I love my bike...a very light Truth...and it would work great out there.

BUT, because I love it, I don't want to trash it too badly.

It would cost me ~$100 to ship it both ways. It will cost me about $210 to rent a demo bike (likely a Turner 5.5 Spot) for the three days.

Is it worth $100 to use someone else's bike and not have to bother with the hassle of packing, abusing, and re-packing my own?

Hmmm.....I guess I'd likely have to get some new tires as the conti set I have aren't really grippy enough for that stuff. That brings the $ difference down to about $50.

Rolling
    First, why will it cost so much to ship it? Are shipping prices that high? You doing overnight?

And second. Who cares about trashing your bike? Bikes are meant to ride. You you crash a lot? You certainly use your bike for more than dirt roads.

But renting a bike might be less hassle since you don't have to mess with the assembly part over and over.

Makes me think I should start a business renting my Id out to folks for the cost of shipping their bike.

Time is not a road.
    I shipped my bike from CO to MI for about $50/each way with DHL. It was worth it to me to have my bike, but there were not a lot of places to rent bikes, so it made more sense.

I'd say rent a bike. Packing and shipping is a bit of a hassle unless your friend is willing to do a lot of that work for you. But for what it's worth, you're not going to trash your bike in Fruita. Your bike is built for that kind of riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Shipping ain't cheap

$100 to ship both ways is reasonable given how UPS, at least, is pricing large items like a bike box (based on something called "dimensional weight").

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I took my Truth. It was perfect for Fruita riding.

DHL is usually cheaper than UPS for shipping bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just a guess but maybe he is worried about trashing his bike during the shipping process?

For the costs etc, I would rent the 5.5 just to try another nice bike.

mtbr member
    yeah...i'll probably just rent something. save time and wear and tear on my ride.

mtbr member
    i've reserved a BMC trailfox from OTE. it's a demo and it's $69/day.

is that a decent bike? i was hoping to get a titus or something but that's what they had in my size for the days i'll be there.