mtbr member

Torque specs for shock bolts

Had my Truth out sunday, and was getting a little creak somewhere. I removed greased/threadloc'd and reinstalled all the pivto bolts and axles, using a torque wrench to tighten as recommended by the Ellsworth webpage until I got to the shock bolts. I think they were the source of my noise because they were looser than the recommended 15ftlbs by a long shot. I put the torque wrench to them and I had to quit before I reached the recommended 15ftlbs because it seemed impossibly tight and I was afraid of stripping out the threded hole in the rocker arm! Anyone routinely tourqed the shock bolts to specs without problem and willing to reassure me on this point? For what it's worth, they are now a lot tighter than they were even if they aren't torqued to the specified 15ftlbs, and it seems to have eliminated the noise, though I won't know for sure until I get it back out on the trail this evening! And if it matters, it's a lst generation Romic coil/oil shock. Thanks, much! Steve

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    that will do it Steve. I haven't had or seen an Ells which shock bolts stayed tight yet.
    I just use some locktite and crank on them, does the trick everytime. I've never used a torquing device .
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    that will do it Steve. I haven't had or seen an Ells which shock bolts stayed tight yet.
    I just use some locktite and crank on them, does the trick everytime. I've never used a torquing device .

Thanks, TT--I did get the lower bolt (the through-bolt with a nut on the other side) torqued to specs, but the upper bolt that threads into the left hand rocker arm still scares me! It has that "starts to turn easier instead of harder-about to strip out," feeling when I try to go any tighter, and I don't want to take a chance. Think I'll call it tight enough...

Steve