mtbr member

Torn between Moment and Rogue

After spending a week end in Moab i'm looking to move into longer travel bike, i'm torn between building up a light Rogue or go with a heavy duty Moment. I have an Epiphany and a Titus rx100 for racing and joy riding. I rode both bikes and i'm still banging my head against the wall trying to decide which one to buy If anyone out there can help push me one way or the other it would save me alot of hair trying to decide...thanks
    Last edited by natemirus; 10-30-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Time is not a road.
    Depending on how you will ride, I'd say light Rogue. The Moment will be like a long travel XC bike, more closely related to the Epi than the Rogue on the other end of the spectrum. Since you have your AM bike in the Epi, the Rogue would fit the bill of FR/DH bike better than the Moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Rogue can also be very light, when I first got mine it was 14.9 Kg.
    It is now 16.7 Kg which is more realistic for what I'm doing with it.
    It's a fantastic FR/ light DH machine, go for it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

chad1433....

...nailed it on the head, as far as i'm concerned.

Thumbies

VooDoo user.
    What Chad said. Or get a highline.

KOKOPELLI RACING
    i've never ridden the rogue, but i recently got a moment to replace my specialized enduro pro, the only way i can describe the moment is "magical". i ride pretty damn hard and it absorbs the punishment with no complaints.

i personally would prefer a "beefier" but heavier build than a lighter build because of the abuse i administer to my bikes so personally i go with the heavy duty moment.
    kokopelli racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledecadefirehydrant
    i've never ridden the rogue, but i recently got a moment to replace my specialized enduro pro, the only way i can describe the moment is "magical". i ride pretty damn hard and it absorbs the punishment with no complaints.

i personally would prefer a "beefier" but heavier build than a lighter build because of the abuse i administer to my bikes so personally i go with the heavy duty moment.
    Agreed... I had my Moment set up with a XC-ish build (Fox Float 130RLC, 240s/717 wheelset, XT drivetrain, etc) and have recently 'beefed-up' to a 36 TALAS RC2, Hadley/819 wheelset & e-thirteen DRS chainguide/bashguard. It's a killer bike set up either way, but I like the current setup the most. BTW, I'm no lightweight, so the Moment is more rugged than most think!
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    May 2006

Rogue...

I find the rogue easy to pedal compared to other bikes with similar travel. I run Boxxer Teams up front and they seem to match the rear nicely (8" front/ rear)

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1156634888

It is a long bike (my mates take the piss out of me), but then I am 6' 3"+ so it suits me really well!
    Have fun!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by natemirus
    After spending a week end in Moab i'm looking to move into longer travel bike, i'm torn between building up a light Rogue or go with a heavy duty Moment. I have an Epiphany and a Titus rx100 for racing and joy riding. I rode both bikes and i'm still banging my head against the wall trying to decide which one to buy If anyone out there can help push me one way or the other it would save me alot of hair trying to decide...thanks
    I know that Moab bug. Everytime I go, I never feel I have enough bike.

But if you get a rogue, will it be your local bike of choice? Or will it just sit in the garage waiting for your next moab trip.

I go to moab at least once a year and I still haven't built up a DH style bike for that stuff. I remember the days when I rode a truth on all of Moab terrain and was content with it.

If I were you, I would just get really fat beefy tires for the Epip when you hit moab...

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I know that Moab bug. Everytime I go, I never feel I have enough bike.

But if you get a rogue, will it be your local bike of choice? Or will it just sit in the garage waiting for your next moab trip.

I go to moab at least once a year and I still haven't built up a DH style bike for that stuff. I remember the days when I rode a truth on all of Moab terrain and was content with it.

If I were you, I would just get really fat beefy tires for the Epip when you hit moab...
    That's a good point...we went to Winter Park this summer and I was jazzed to get a DH bike, too. But I don't have money or room for one. And it'd be useless on my local trails...

I like the purple Stinkys!

VooDoo user.
    If you are set on Smellsworth Rogue then build it in a 7" configuration. This way its a little more usable. Plus with all the sick "7 forks out right now (ie Totem,66, Travis) you could build a stellar rig for multiple uses.

Is the new stinky purple or pink? Looks pink in all the Mags.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    If you are set on Smellsworth Rogue
    Whoa, what's with the negative vibs, Daddy O?

Purple, and I'm stinkin' to it...

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for the advice the more I think about it....lidarman may be hitting the nail on the head, the bike would be used most likely only 2 or 3 times a year with the trails in my neck of the woods it would definitively be overkill unless I decide to huck off of my neighbors roof .Looking ahead at next years racing schedule mostly mtb 100's and 24hr races on the east coast (West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania). The Rogue would be a fun bike but my money would be better spent on an Evolve 29er, now I just need a little self control not to buy both
    Last edited by natemirus; 11-08-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by natemirus
    Thanks everybody for the advice the more I think about it....lidarman may be hitting the nail on the head, the bike would be used most likely only 2 or 3 times a year with the trails in my neck of the woods it would definitively be overkill unless I decide to huck off of my neighbors roof .Looking ahead at next years racing schedule mostly mtb 100's and 24hr races on the east coast (West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania). The Rogue would be a fun bike but my money would be better spent on an Evolve 29er, now I just need a little self control not to buy both
    Hold the phone...West Virginia you say? Snowshoe you say?

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

mtbr member
    Close to Snowshoe, slatyfork WV. I like to do the Wild 100 and haven't made the trip up to Snowshoe yet.....

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Whoa, what's with the negative vibs, Daddy O?
    I can say that. I own one.

The MOMENT is a great bike but I think the Highline is a way better way to go when you start talking about 7+" travel bikes. Too bad they don't make the Dare anymore and Whats up with the Chaos . Guess Ellsworth is too busy making beach cruisers. Thats an entirely different conversation. Sorry but the Mooney guy kills me everytime.

How's the 66?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    I can say that. I own one.

The MOMENT is a great bike but I think the Highline is a way better way to go when you start talking about 7+" travel bikes. Too bad they don't make the Dare anymore and Whats up with the Chaos . Guess Ellsworth is too busy making beach cruisers. Thats an entirely different conversation. Sorry but the Mooney guy kills me everytime.

How's the 66?
    There's a few used Dare's in the classifieds I've been eyeing...Photo John has been trying to sell his forever now...I'm suprised these don't get scooped up, except that they are sort of ugly.

Beach cruisers aside, I don't think Ells was ever in the gravity business. You can tell comparing them to a company like Intense and Foes that have produced some excellent DH/FR bikes. Foes hardly even makes a trail bike, let alone a racer like the Enlightenment/Truth/Evolve bikes. Who knows, maybe someday they'll get into that, but I doubt it. Furthermore, I don't think that ICT is the best for high speed stuff. I think the axle path holds the bike up at speed. VPP and single pivots are much faster because the wheel moves away from the bumps in it's arcing path. I noticed this right away going from Atlas to ICT. ICT is superior in technical climbing and flats. It also has better braking attributes, which might make it a better FR bike, but I'm not so sure, I don't ride like that.

I haven't been able to mount the 66 yet. I'm still waiting on brake parts from Larry. Maybe this weekend.