MolarM
    Jan 2006

tires for an eppy

My LBS has got a sale coming up and I need new tires. I've got a 2.1 Blue Groove up front, and a 2.1 Nevegal in back- both with tubes. Mavic 717 rims. I weigh ~160 w/gear, I ride SoCal(Santa Ana Mtns)- decomposing granite trails. Bike is an Epi w/TALAS RLC. What does the intelligence recommend in regards to tire size, tread patterns, brand, etc.? Thanks P.S. - I've got to post some pix of this, the build turned out great!!!
    MolarM

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

tires...

I have 2.1 nevegals DTC front and rear, weigh about the same and i love them. My only complaint is a greater tendency to pinch flat than i have previously experienced.

Time is not a road.
    The Kendas are some of the best tires you can get. The DTC runs much faster than the true Sticky. I'd stick with those and maybe convert to tubeless with Stan's. It's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it in reduced rolling resistance and lack of pinch flats. Kenda does have a somewhat weak sidewall.

You might also try some Nobby Nics in 2.1. They have a triple compound and a tougher sidewall than the Kenda offerings.

I'd also check the SoCal boards and see what people are running. I've seen some pics on another board of someone running the new Small Block 8s by Kenda. I bet those roll fast...What kind of tires is your shop offering for sale?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    molarm,
    You are in my neck of the woods. I have the Epi with the Talas RLC and I have Nevgals DTC on the front and back. I have the 2.35 in the front and a 2.1 out back and both have Stans in them. I think for our area, this is the set up to have.
    I wonder if you and I ever cross paths. My local trail is Aliso Woods Canyon. Do you ever get out to that park?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

over 50 years of cycling
    I am also running the Kenda Nevgal DTC 2.1 front and back and its working for me in the wet and slick northwest.

A lot of people seem to like running the 2.35 in the front, especially in conditions similar to what you are describing. And in fact I am pondering going with a fatter tire in the front some day.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you want something thats a little quicker than the Nevegals, try the Small Block 8's in teh 2.35 size. These tires are suprisingly good! And are very fast. But the Nevegals are hard to beat.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'll probably stick with the Nev's, but I'm curious about those small blocks. I'll decide when I've got both of them in my hands. Chad- I don't know what 's going to be on sale- it's a parking lot sale at a shop called The Path- great store if you're ever in the area. Pachaven- that's a great park! I've done that "Mathis-Rock it" loop a couple of times. The Epi (did this name come from epinephrine -which is chemically similar to adrenalin?) eats those trails up!!!! Say "Hello" I've got a green bike with silver accents. See ya out there. MM
    MolarM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    molarm,
    You are in my neck of the woods. I have the Epi with the Talas RLC and I have Nevgals DTC on the front and back. I have the 2.35 in the front and a 2.1 out back and both have Stans in them. I think for our area, this is the set up to have.
    I wonder if you and I ever cross paths. My local trail is Aliso Woods Canyon. Do you ever get out to that park?
    Another vote for 2.35f & 2.1 rear (Stick-E)...though I have a 2.4 big betty hanging in my shed I am about to try out - It would be hard to beat the navegals...
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Hooray Beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by molarm
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'll probably stick with the Nev's, but I'm curious about those small blocks. I'll decide when I've got both of them in my hands. Chad- I don't know what 's going to be on sale- it's a parking lot sale at a shop called The Path- great store if you're ever in the area. Pachaven- that's a great park! I've done that "Mathis-Rock it" loop a couple of times. The Epi (did this name come from epinephrine -which is chemically similar to adrenalin?) eats those trails up!!!! Say "Hello" I've got a green bike with silver accents. See ya out there. MM

i ride epi as well with Blue groove 2.35 up front and 2.1 Nev's in back (both sticky). I'm in Socal as well and am sure ride all the same parks and mtns as you. Anticapte DTC is a bit faster but sticky just hugs...i love these tire (may try smal blocks as well as hear some good stuff about them. will be a path lot sale as well tomorrow either beofre or after ride so i'll look out for ya

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have an epi too and ride the same trails as you guys do in OC. Aliso Woods, Santa Ana Mtns, Laguna Wilderness, etc... When I got my epi in June of '06 I ran the Blue Grooves (stick-e) 2.35 in front and Nevs (dtc) 2.1 in back, a great setup. I just switched over to the Kenda Small Block 8s 2.35 in front and 2.1 in back and rode Laguna Wilderness today and I have to say they are fast & so smooth. Surprisingly they are very grippy and climbed very well. Awesome tires. Great for hard packed trails. Probably not so good when muddy though.

I'll be at the Path sale tomorrow too!
    Last edited by gamma88; 01-06-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    ****Just Ride****