mtbr member
    Oct 2006

thanks ellsworth

i just demo'd a rogue today....blew everthing out of the water. it peddled better than everthing i've ever seen, blowing the meastro, the fsr, vpp...the list goes on. It peddled better than anything i've ever experienced, better than an XC only bike....it was absolutely amazing...it was one of the most plush small bump absorbing bikes i've ever encountered, except that when you peddled, the more you stood up and pushed, the more it said "hahaha, you can't compress me by peddling, nice try!".....then i turned the propeddle on on the DHX and it felt as good as my p3 for peddling, except it still sucked up bumps.

I was riding the 8" travel setup with a 40 rc2 and a DHX 5.0 coil, and it was the most stunning bike i've ever ridden, i can't wait to get one

thanks ellsworth, i spent 40 bucks on camping for one night (because of the rain) at sea otter, another 40 on getting into the expo area for two days, spent four hours there, and my time on the roge was worth it all. absolutely amazing, completely amazing

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    also i'd add the gratitous "it peddles like an XC bike" but nobody would believe me because they'll just think that i'm exaggerating, and just think i'm saying "oh it peddles than better than any long travel bike blahblah" so instead i'll say

it peddles BETTER than any XC bike i've ever ridden. (all the specialized linup,including the epic, many yeti, intense, the list goes on). absolutely amazing

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    also i'd add the gratitous "it peddles like an XC bike" but nobody would believe me because they'll just think that i'm exaggerating, and just think i'm saying "oh it peddles than better than any long travel bike blahblah" so instead i'll say

it peddles BETTER than any XC bike i've ever ridden. (all the specialized linup,including the epic, many yeti, intense, the list goes on). absolutely amazing
    Are you talking pedaling efficiency, as in lack of rider weight transfer induced bob,
    or small bump absorbtion ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree the bike does pedal well, better than anything out there. The specifics of the ICT design does make this feasable and the rear end is stiff. Transferance of torque is not noticed in any of the rear end components and for a bike with 8 inches of travel, it is light too. But consider this:

The ICT design is inherently linear rate. If one were to plot a graph of travel vrs. force the graph would be a straight line relative to the springrate. This is not a fault, but a design reality. The advent of the platform shock should aleviate this, by allowing for rampup, but that feature, on any shock, is force dependant. The DHX 5.0 is one of the best out there, but its internal circuits can only handle so much before the design is prominent. Simply stated: despite the addage of a rampup shock, the linear rate rear end of the Rogue will not be plush on the small stuff and ramp up on big hits, or either ramp up and be plush. I had 2 Dares and was considering an Avalance rear shock for my 2001 Dare to make the rear end better (and it had only 7 inches travel). The fact is: the linear rate rear end cannot be compensated for with a shock, and if you did not find this to be true then I suggest you try the bike out on hits of a larger nature and then compare it to the pedalling efficency. Again, I am not going to argue it can pedal or that the workmanship is top notch; my friend had one, but understand that with all designs there is some limitation, and I just wanted you to know, from someone who has been there, that even the ICT design has them. Just be sure it does not conflict with your needs.

Burnt Orange Lives

and if you intend to travel...

distances longer than 2-300 miles and carry more than 3 suitcases, please understand that this bike with it's limited ICT design is not for you... consder getting an SUV...

Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    I agree the bike does pedal well, better than anything out there. The specifics of the ICT design does make this feasable and the rear end is stiff. Transferance of torque is not noticed in any of the rear end components and for a bike with 8 inches of travel, it is light too. But consider this:

The ICT design is inherently linear rate. If one were to plot a graph of travel vrs. force the graph would be a straight line relative to the springrate. This is not a fault, but a design reality. The advent of the platform shock should aleviate this, by allowing for rampup, but that feature, on any shock, is force dependant. The DHX 5.0 is one of the best out there, but its internal circuits can only handle so much before the design is prominent. Simply stated: despite the addage of a rampup shock, the linear rate rear end of the Rogue will not be plush on the small stuff and ramp up on big hits, or either ramp up and be plush. I had 2 Dares and was considering an Avalance rear shock for my 2001 Dare to make the rear end better (and it had only 7 inches travel). The fact is: the linear rate rear end cannot be compensated for with a shock, and if you did not find this to be true then I suggest you try the bike out on hits of a larger nature and then compare it to the pedalling efficency. Again, I am not going to argue it can pedal or that the workmanship is top notch; my friend had one, but understand that with all designs there is some limitation, and I just wanted you to know, from someone who has been there, that even the ICT design has them. Just be sure it does not conflict with your needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    distances longer than 2-300 miles and carry more than 3 suitcases, please understand that this bike with it's limited ICT design is not for you... consder getting an SUV...
    Yep. You can get an SUV that runs on Bio Diesel. It converts Bull $hit into perpetual motion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    definitely excellent bike. Almost bought one myself and had a friend with one last year and another building his for this season. Beautiful piece of machinery. If it had the option of the dhx air I woulda grabbed it but since it didn't I got a Moment instead which I absolutely love. Once I outgrow the Moments capabilities in downhill I'll probably lighten it up for xc/am and grab a Rogue for my DH/FR fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly

thats really interesting, i didn't know that but i could easily see that happening, but i guess its not the biggest problem ever since i never do stuff i couldn't do on a hardtail, e.g. 5+ foot to flat, 15+ to slope

basically a dream bike for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll thank them when they help me fix my front derailer problem on my new Epiphany, been talking to Mike at Ellsworth, seems pretty helpful so far but he's been out to the Sea Otter all week so hopefully Monday he'll jump in.... I agree the Ellsworth geometry seems to be pretty outstanding, great efficiency.. Now to elliminate the front derailer drag when shifted into granny gear..

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Granollers ?????

mtbr member
    Never mnd read your other post. G, I'm using the same f-der and haven't had any "rubbing" on the borttom of my cage of the f-der. Your more then welcome to take a look and if push comes to shovve take mine.

mtbr member
    Oh...the fly guy again. Did anyone bring the swatter. It's annoying and a know-it-all as usual. It could use a good swat. Oh I forgot, it's from the shore as we're all so eloquently reminded regularly. We must respect the sole representative of the shore. Fellow Ellsworth riders, we need to start the church of the Blackfly because he is all knowing and a supreme intellectual. If we bow to him may we become more knowledgable Ellsworth owners. Does he ever ride his bike [on the shore]?! Sorry, almost forgot he was from the shore.

Fly, your f#@ing douch-bag! Maybe you should seek counseling for your anal rententaive Ellsworth bashing.

Burnt Orange Lives
    tsk, tsk, tsk....

how dare you... the fly is bringing it to the shore, not the other way around... dont you forget that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurepath
    Oh...the fly guy again. Did anyone bring the swatter. It's annoying and a know-it-all as usual. It could use a good swat. Oh I forgot, it's from the shore as we're all so eloquently reminded regularly. We must respect the sole representative of the shore. Fellow Ellsworth riders, we need to start the church of the Blackfly because he is all knowing and a supreme intellectual. If we bow to him may we become more knowledgable Ellsworth owners. Does he ever ride his bike [on the shore]?! Sorry, almost forgot he was from the shore.

Fly, your f#@ing douch-bag! Maybe you should seek counseling for your anal rententaive Ellsworth bashing.
    Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Blackfly speaks for the entire shore community from around the world you know. We all bow down.

(actually I think he's cracking entertainment - in the laugh at sense)
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]