mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tapered Headtube

I've got an Evolve on order. Just wondering why Ells hasn't gone the tapered route? Seems pretty universal these days, even for road. Noticed that the Enlightenment does have one. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think a lot of people are hoping that at interbike next week Ells will announce running changes to tapered headtubes for some of their bikes and 1.5 for the Rogue and Dare

mtbr member
    Shhiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt. I'm hoping for a revamped rogue. It needs it.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Talked to Ells today. The tapered headtube "has been discussed". New stuff coming at Interbike next week.

mtbr member
    Rogue Rogue Rogue Rogue Rogue Rogue

mtbr member
    May 2008

I Find This!!!

I Think Ells Is Doin It

Sorry For My Bad English

THE TUBE IS 1 1/8 - 1 1/5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tapered Headtube-p4pb5566052.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Integrated too! Good find!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thalosmtb
    I Think Ells Is Doin It

Sorry For My Bad English

THE TUBE IS 1 1/8 - 1 1/5

Moment DJ.

We want ROGUE!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    now that looks good. It looks to me like its running shorter shocks. Is this a 4x bike?

That BB looks super low.

Whatever nice spot it looks good and just what is wanted. I wonder what the revised geometry with 150mm or 160mm forks will be. The headset opens up the possibility of using cane creeks angled headsets to fine tune the angles too.

Bring on the revised Rogue!

(oh dear I have a feeling I am going to be paying for two new frames this year!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have been giving this some thought and I hope Ells have taken the opportunity to bring their Moment up to date with the competition. They need to decide if they want it to compete with the 150mm trail bike category that is being dominated by the excellent trek remedy and with the Spec stumpjumper now increased to 150mm travel too, this category is going to have a hard battle. First and foremost they need to get the geometry right, Specialized are the masters of geometry so I would place bets that the new stumpy has great low bb, long front centre and slack head tube geometry, Trek are pretty neutral with the 14 inch BB and 67 degree head angle, Ells could do with at least matching the trek, (all they would need to do is weld the headtube on 1 degree slacker, that would lower the BB 1/3 inch) oh and Ells stop stating your stats with a 130mm fork (520mm axle crown) nobody is going to run a fork that short and we are not stupid enough not to spot you trying to make the geometry sound steeper and lower.

Secondly if Ells want to compete against the stumpy and remedy they need to lose some weight off the moment. For the same price as the moment you can have a carbon trek or Spech and easily get the weight under 30lb without going for xc parts. It is often said that the Moment can be built as a 29lb trail bike, but with any sensible speccing the bike will be over 30lb, only superlight xc race kit could get it under. Mine weighs 33lb and apart from a lighter fork and taking the chain guide off, I could not see where to lose more weight without compomising its credentials. Even the lower specced aluminium remedy weighs 29lb.

alternatively and probably a better idea is if Ells upped the rear travel to 160mm to match the fox 36 or RS lyrik. again the geometry would have to be revised to match the fork and the geometry of its competitors such as the amazing Lappierre Spicy or the Nomad or again Specilaized with their Enduro.

slackening the head angle to lower the BB won't be enough as the longer fork would just raise it further and slacken it more. This would require a redesign (longer down tube)

Most 160mm (carbon aside) weigh in the low 30lb region (31lb spicy) so Ells are already on the money in this category.

10mm might niot seem a lot in travel terms but it is a lot in terms of the bikes percieved aim.

So here is hoping the new moment is lighter, slacker and lower and maybe has a little more travel.

oh and as for the Rogue .........

mtbr member
    Did someone say rogue ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I work for the UK importer of EW

my boss is at Interbike in Las Vegas this week, meeting with EW to find out what is going on for 2011

I will report back as soon as I know more!

the new EW Slopestyle bike looks like a step in the right direction with its taper headtube and contemporary geometry

my buddy is riding the EW Moment Mk3 and is very happy with the bike (its about 30lb), although I would concur with your analysis that bottom bracket heights could drop a little, head angles slacken a touch and 160mm would be sweet on the Moment

my Devinci Hectik (160mm FSR) weighs sub 30lb with Fox 36 Talas, Thomson / Sunline finishing kit, 1 x 9 SRAM gearing and Stan's No-Tubes (ZTR Flow on Hope Pro II hubs and Specialized tubeless tires)

its hard to get the weight any lower on 160mm bikes, without going to carbon fibre and personally I don't trust the "black aluminium" for mountain bikes where rocks and crashes are daily occurences

LBS Manager
    On an other note I hear they have a new 29er coming out this year called the Evolution.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Supposed to be longer travel. 5 or 5.5"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit
    I work for the UK importer of EW

my boss is at Interbike in Las Vegas this week, meeting with EW to find out what is going on for 2011

I will report back as soon as I know more!

the new EW Slopestyle bike looks like a step in the right direction with its taper headtube and contemporary geometry

my buddy is riding the EW Moment Mk3 and is very happy with the bike (its about 30lb), although I would concur with your analysis that bottom bracket heights could drop a little, head angles slacken a touch and 160mm would be sweet on the Moment

my Devinci Hectik (160mm FSR) weighs sub 30lb with Fox 36 Talas, Thomson / Sunline finishing kit, 1 x 9 SRAM gearing and Stan's No-Tubes (ZTR Flow on Hope Pro II hubs and Specialized tubeless tires)

its hard to get the weight any lower on 160mm bikes, without going to carbon fibre and personally I don't trust the "black aluminium" for mountain bikes where rocks and crashes are daily occurences

Hi Freeborn

I will ring you in the next few days to chat about maybe upgrading

Kenton