Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LBS Manager

Sub 23 pound Epiphany

I got all my new stuff on my bike today and finally got it below 23 pounds. I have a second set of wheels for this bike in 650 B which I have been trying out. I really like how the bike rides with the 650 b wheels but it is almost 2 pounds heavier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sub 23 pound Epiphany-may2211_018.jpg  

Sub 23 pound Epiphany-may2211_016.jpg  

Sub 23 pound Epiphany-may2211_019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Normally dont like all that white on bikes, but this ones hot! Anyway you must have some deep pockets cause those sure are some purdy components!

mtbr member
    Very nice! How does the bike ride with the 650B wheels, and what's the parts spec with the 26" wheels? I'd love to get my Epiphany's weight down even more, and also am interested in trying out the bike with 650B.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

LBS Manager
    The 650b set up rides really nice the angles stay the same and the cornering is still spot on. The traction goes way up and the bike rolls of roots and rocks better than with 26. The BB height is increased but can be brought back down with a shock mod. I have tried 650 b Nevegals, panaracer fire xc's, Pacenti Quasi moto,s (one of the best tires I have ever used) and Schwalbe Racing Ralph's. The Racing Ralph's only come in 2.25 and barely clear the frame. I am to much of a weight weenie to give up on 26 altogether so I keep switching back and forth.
    Here is the component set up with 26 inch wheels. Med epiphany frame, Fox float 150 fit, Sram XX complete kit with a kmc chain, Ritchey wcs carbon bar stem and seat post. Fizik carbon antares saddle,crank brothers headset and wheels. Shcwalbe rocket ron 2.1 tires and a ti bolt kit. I would like to know how light I could get it If I went with lighter wheels like the new Easton ec90 xc's or Crank Brothers cobalt 11 carbons.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    Normally dont like all that white on bikes, but this ones hot! Anyway you must have some deep pockets cause those sure are some purdy components!
    I work at an LBS and get alot of deals but even still that bike is wining the war with my bank acount.

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    The 650b set up rides really nice the angles stay the same and the cornering is still spot on. The traction goes way up and the bike rolls of roots and rocks better than with 26. The BB height is increased but can be brought back down with a shock mod. I have tried 650 b Nevegals, panaracer fire xc's, Pacenti Quasi moto,s (one of the best tires I have ever used) and Schwalbe Racing Ralph's. The Racing Ralph's only come in 2.25 and barely clear the frame. I am to much of a weight weenie to give up on 26 altogether so I keep switching back and forth.
    Here is the component set up with 26 inch wheels. Med epiphany frame, Fox float 150 fit, Sram XX complete kit with a kmc chain, Ritchey wcs carbon bar stem and seat post. Fizik carbon antares saddle,crank brothers headset and wheels. Shcwalbe rocket ron 2.1 tires and a ti bolt kit. I would like to know how light I could get it If I went with lighter wheels like the new Easton ec90 xc's or Crank Brothers cobalt 11 carbons.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is this really 23lbs?

I am just having an sst2 epiphany built up. It has a rock shox rev rlti fork, xtr rear mech, cassette and shfiter and a kcnc crank (1/2lb lighter than xt). it will 1 x10 and have a haven cockpit. Mavic crossmax st wheels. I am expecting it to weigh about 26 to 27lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

23 lbs is believable

Have 2007 epiphany built to 23.8 with flat pedals included.Tires chosen can easily add or lose a lb.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Is this really 23lbs?

I am just having an sst2 epiphany built up. It has a rock shox rev rlti fork, xtr rear mech, cassette and shfiter and a kcnc crank (1/2lb lighter than xt). it will 1 x10 and have a haven cockpit. Mavic crossmax st wheels. I am expecting it to weigh about 26 to 27lbs.
    Your bike will be lighter than you think. My bike as it sits is 22.8 lbs, the Rocket Ron tires converted to tubeless definitely help. The Ritchey WCS cockpit is a fair bit lighter than the Haven. The Crank Bros headseat is almost half the weight of a King. I have foam grips and a carbon saddle with a ti-bolt kit throughout the bike. Every little gram of savings adds up. We were playing around at the shop and know we could get it sub 22 with a Stans rim on an AM classic hub with stans tires.
    Last edited by Johnny Hair Boy; 05-31-2011 at 04:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. I have a large '09 with 32 Float 140 RLC 15QR, full XTR including brakes (160mm fr&rr), Cobalt wheelset, 2.25 Nobby Nic & 2.1 Racing Ralph (UST=some added weight, but I like the extra reliability/durability), Thompson Elite stem and post, Silverado SLT saddle, Easton Monkeylite bar... And I'm in the high 26lb range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    Your bike will be lighter than you think. My bike as it sits is 22.8 lbs, the Rocket Ron tires converted to tubeless definitely help. The Ritchey WCS cockpit is a fair bit lighter than the Haven. The Crank Bros headseat is almost half the weight of a King. I have foam grips and a carbon saddle with a ti-bolt kit throughout the bike. Every little gram of savings adds up. We were playing around at the shop and know we could get it sub 22 with a Stans rim on an AM classic hub with stans tires.
    I hope so . can't see where it will be 4lbs lighter though. the ritchey stem is comparable to the haven stem when you take length into consideraton ( I will be speccing a 55mm) but the haven carbon bar is heavier in line with its increased width. maybe 50 to a 100 grams different there.

Tyres will be the big difference. Mine will be a smidgeon over 700 g each and tubeless of course. I have looked at lighter tyres from Schwalbe and Specialized but the terrain I ride is very rocky and lighter tyres don't hold up well. so maybe as much as 300g lost here.

I intend to get lighter brakes, formula r1 but that will have to wait till I have some cash. For now the brakes will be heavy hope tech2. probably as much as 400 g here.

So that is about 2lb identified straight away. Maybe I could get the bike down to 25lb with the changes listed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Your bike will be lighter than you think. My bike as it sits is 22.8 lbs.
    As it sits in what pic? There seems to be some stuff missing in a few of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hope so . can't see where it will be 4lbs lighter though. the ritchey stem is comparable to the haven stem when you take length into consideraton ( I will be speccing a 55mm) but the haven carbon bar is heavier in line with its increased width. maybe 50 to a 100 grams different there.

Tyres will be the big difference. Mine will be a smidgeon over 700 g each and tubeless of course. I have looked at lighter tyres from Schwalbe and Specialized but the terrain I ride is very rocky and lighter tyres don't hold up well. so maybe as much as 300g lost here.

I intend to get lighter brakes, formula r1 but that will have to wait till I have some cash. For now the brakes will be heavy hope tech2. probably as much as 400 g here.

So that is about 2lb identified straight away. Maybe I could get the bike down to 25lb with the changes listed.
    Turns out my weighs 27.5lb

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ View Post
    As it sits in what pic? There seems to be some stuff missing in a few of them.
    In the pics the bike with the 26 " cobalt wheels is missing the pedals but I ride it and weighed it with crank bros 4 TI

LBS Manager
    Turns out my weighs 27.5lb
    The wheels and tires might be the culprit. when I switched from kenda SB8 to the Rocket rons I saved just shy of a pound. Also the XX cassette saves some of weight over the XTR

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The wheels and tires might be the culprit. when I switched from kenda SB8 to the Rocket rons I saved just shy of a pound. Also the XX cassette saves some of weight over the XTR
    As i said above changing tryes and a few bits would save about 2lb. The xx cassette is lighter but not by a significant amount but of course it all adds up. At the very most I could shave 2 1/2lb off the bike but nowhere near the 4 1/2 lb needed to achieve a sub 23lb weight and to be honest the bike would be severely compromised for the intended use.

LBS Manager
    As i said above changing tryes and a few bits would save about 2lb. The xx cassette is lighter but not by a significant amount but of course it all adds up. At the very most I could shave 2 1/2lb off the bike but nowhere near the 4 1/2 lb needed to achieve a sub 23lb weight and to be honest the bike would be severely compromised for the intended use.
    I use my bike like a long travel race bike. I probably should ride a Truth but my old man back cant handle the Truth. If I pushed the bike to the full potential of the frame I might chose a different build but there is not one component on the bike that I don't trust for xc/ trail riding. If I went for a sketchy light set of wheels I could get that bike a fair bit lighter. Some of the ways I haved saved the weight are on things like a 9 gram seat post collar, headset ,grips ,seat and ti hardware.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use my bike like a long travel race bike. I probably should ride a Truth but my old man back cant handle the Truth. If I pushed the bike to the full potential of the frame I might chose a different build but there is not one component on the bike that I don't trust for xc/ trail riding. If I went for a sketchy light set of wheels I could get that bike a fair bit lighter. Some of the ways I haved saved the weight are on things like a 9 gram seat post collar, headset ,grips ,seat and ti hardware.

The Epi makes a great marathon style race bike, don't be apologising for that. I can think of at least one world cup xc racer that is riding a 5 travel bike (Orange 5).

my wheels weigh 1550g the only thing lighter are xc race wheels, which would not cope with my riding them over rocks or carbon rims which are just too pricey. Tyres is probably the main place I could save weight, my highroller lusts wigh 800g each so i could easily save a lb there. (sorry for mixing metric/imperial-typical Englishman) .

Although I am 1 x 10 which saves weight, Items like the lopes chain device add weight too.

alu/ti bolts etc do all add to the overall savings.

I would not mind knocking a couple of lb off the weight but i seriously doubt that I could get it lighter than that.

I would be happy to lose 2lb and leave it at that.

mtbr member
    Wow!
    That's d*mn light
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    J.H.B

Nice epi build man, I am a weight weenie myself and prefer the superlite build. My '10 medium epi weighs in at 22lb 4oz with pedals. I ride the damn thing 3-4 times a week and it's been holding up just fine for last year and a half. Here's a pic of my little bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sub 23 pound Epiphany-22.4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoesGuy View Post
    J.H.B

Nice epi build man, I am a weight weenie myself and prefer the superlite build. My '10 medium epi weighs in at 22lb 4oz with pedals. I ride the damn thing 3-4 times a week and it's been holding up just fine for last year and a half. Here's a pic of my little bike.
    Nice bike, ditch that outer ring for a 42g BBG Bashguard, and swap out the stem with a Loaded Precision X-Lite(106g) and you will be close to the 21 lb. Range!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Nice bike, ditch that outer ring for a 42g BBG Bashguard, and swap out the stem with a Loaded Precision X-Lite(106g) and you will be close to the 21 lb. Range!
    An outer ring weighs about 75 grams a xx one even less. Ritchey stems are light stems. At most he would save 50grams. Just over 1/10th of a pound. There is enough exaggeration in these forums don't add to it.!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A-Ray, NYSNK,

My outer 44t chainring is already 61g (extralite) and my stem is 82g (extralite) 90mm. I am pretty much maxxxed out. hahah. The only thing that i can get is the sram XG-999 rear cassette which is 170g (11-32t). I currently have the xtr m970 (240g). Also a extralite headset (60g) apposed to my King which is 130g. Those two upgrades will drop my bike another 140g = 5 ounces. that will put me in the 21lb range.....I am in no hurry to do any of those mods..lol

mtbr member
    ... The BB height is increased but can be brought back down with a shock mod. ....
    What's the shock mod? Lowering front fork height, or something with rear shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    What's the shock mod? Lowering front fork height, or something with rear shock?
    most likely offset shock bushings. burgtec sells them as do some others

Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast