mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Steelset on the Moment

As suggested by the website , I got a King steel set to go with my 36 fork for my moment. My mechanic says I have to machine or shave bits off the headset for it to fit since the headtube is supposedly tapered or something to that effect. Has anyone had problems installing a steelset on their moments?

Time is not a road.
    So, the deal with the Steelset and the HT is that the internal shaping begins before the end of the headset which leaves the ends of the HS suspended in air, essentially. This makes it impossible to remove with the conventional tool. Once you install it then, it becomes a permanent resident.

The truth is, you don't need a Steelset. There's no reason to believe that the added stiffness of the Fox 36 is going to ovalize the HT. No one has documented this AND Ellsworth has not come back out to state that other forks of the same type should also be considered. They only address the 36. And, also, I've not heard of any other bikes having issues with ovalization at the HT with these forks. Personally, I think it's paranoia on the part of Ellsworth, but since they don't cover ovalization under warranty, it shouldn't matter.

MTB Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    This makes it impossible to remove with the conventional tool. Once you install it then, it becomes a permanent resident.
    Of course with a King headset, the only reason you may ever have to remove it is to move it to a new frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So I take it , I can just press the steelset in but never take it out ?

Leash Law Enforcer
    Ells actually suggests a steel set with the 36? Why with the 36 and none of the other forks in that same category? I would have to agree with Chad. Unless they know something about the headtube that is not obvious, this seems like paranoia on the part of Ells.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Why aren't you riding????
    go with a FSA Orbit Extreme deep cup, no seizing, cheaper, lighter and just as good.

mtbr member
    I have a Moment with a standard King headset, and I tend to agree with everyone that a steelset is probably not needed - but hey, it can't hurt.

You're mechanic is correct... if you read the King documentation, they specify that the headtube should be milled to fit the headset correctly... My mechanic did some milling for my standard headset. It's perfect!
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    As suggested by the website , I got a King steel set to go with my 36 fork for my moment. My mechanic says I have to machine or shave bits off the headset for it to fit since the headtube is supposedly tapered or something to that effect. Has anyone had problems installing a steelset on their moments?
    If you're talking about a mk.1 Moment frame then your mechanic is talking bollox. If its the newer model (are they out yet?) then i don't know, as the headtube looks different.

I fitted a steelset in mine and i think it's a bit overkill. My Blur LT has a thinner headtube and i've used a 36 Van on that with a normal King headset. If you want to try and keep the bike light then i'd go with a normal headset, but if you're not bothered about weight then why not. If you ever sell the frame then you'd have to leave the steelset in, from what i've heard they can end up a real mess IF they come out, and all that banging can't do the welds any good in that area.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Fuhgetaboudit
    Dec 2004
    I agree with Horse. I have a 2006 Moment and went with the Fox 36 Talas RC2 and pressed in a CK Titanium headset for overall looks and such. You have to ask yourself if you are really going to jump and bash your bike around or do just normal trail riding stuff. If you're doing the big stuff then I'd be more worried about ovalizing my neck on a bad landing than the damn bike. Again, Ellsworth hasn't given one shred of evidence to merit the need for the steelset, other than his initial statement regarding warranty. And we all know what Tony's word is worth if you ever do send a bike in for any warranty issues......