Thread: SST1 vs SST2

exploring the fire trails

SST1 vs SST2

Can anyone confirm; is the SST.1 2010 stock and SST.2 2011?

If my Australian contact falls through on an Evolve frame, I was looking to get one of the clearance stock frames directly from Ellsworth. Some are SST.1 and there's even a 'non SST' frame - does that means its 2009 or older?

And should I consider a non SST frame?

Thanks,

Scott.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2007 non-SST frame. Other than the ISCG tabs, there doesn't seem to be a meaningful difference between the frames. I think the SSTs are a little lighter and curvier, but I actually like the non-SST's aesthetics more than the newer models.

mtbr member
    You are correct in your assumptions around the general timings for the SST1&2 and non SST. I ride a non-sst Epiphany which is just a terrific bike. I've read the SSt's are lighter and stiffer, less flex but I can't comment since I've never ridden a new one to compare. I would be interested in hearing a few opinions around the improvements.

To be honest I still prefer the old english font on the bikes and I especially don't like that its not a solid logo but an outline. They should use the logo from XC Wheels and they would look best. Despite this it still wouldn't stop me from buying the Evolve but I'd have to do something with the custom colours to make up for the crap lettering they have now. The SST 1 Evolve has a nice classic look while the SST2 kind of looks a bit funny to me. On the other hand the SST2 Epiphany & moment is bang on dead good while the Truth is wonky like the evolve and evolution but that's just me. But then again if you just get Rainforest Green it will be awesome anyway
    Last edited by jimmy L; 03-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Let me know if you need a good deal on an Ellsworth frame. I know they have some older stock that they need to get rid off that I'm sure I can help you out on.

exploring the fire trails
    Quote Originally Posted by bwaugh-wrenchscience
    Let me know if you need a good deal on an Ellsworth frame. I know they have some older stock that they need to get rid off that I'm sure I can help you out on.
    Thanks, I actually got the medium frame I was after from my local contact.