get down!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

banned
    Mar 2005
    The 2004 ID was arguably the best XC bike ever built (except for the stupid high BB)...why give it away?

Much better than anything in the current Ellsworth line-up.

mtbr member

Build is done

Thanks again appleSSeed.
    Finished the build last weekend, but I've been to sick to go ride it. Hoping to get in a good shakedown on Sunday.

No pics cause my camera is on the fritz, so here's a parts list:
    Id frame with Romic coil
    FSA Pig headset
    Manitou Splice Comp 130mm fork
    Shimano Zee Crankset with 36t ring
    Mrp 1x chainguide
    Shimano Deore LX rear der. - 9 spd (hoping to switch to a zee kit or xt 10 spd)
    Shimano Deore mechanical brakes 160mm rotors (donor from my 2004 Raleigh M80)
    700mm Riser bar (also donor part along with a 100mm stem)
    white jagwire hyper kit throughout
    white evo MX6 pedals

cheers.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmanatee View Post
    Thanks again appleSSeed.
    Finished the build last weekend, but I've been to sick to go ride it. Hoping to get in a good shakedown on Sunday.

No pics cause my camera is on the fritz, so here's a parts list:
    Id frame with Romic coil
    FSA Pig headset
    Manitou Splice Comp 130mm fork
    Shimano Zee Crankset with 36t ring
    Mrp 1x chainguide
    Shimano Deore LX rear der. - 9 spd (hoping to switch to a zee kit or xt 10 spd)
    Shimano Deore mechanical brakes 160mm rotors (donor from my 2004 Raleigh M80)
    700mm Riser bar (also donor part along with a 100mm stem)
    white jagwire hyper kit throughout
    white evo MX6 pedals

cheers.

Nice build, it should climb like a goat, and that 130mm fork will make it handle like a road bike in technical singletrack.

Watch the overspring on the Romic...if you're under 200#, a 500# spring is perfect, if you're fat, you may need a 550# or even a 600#. Also, set the preload (top dial) to about a half inch of sag, that should give you a 13.5"BB. You may need some practice to get used to that standover, though...

Stay away from those 10 cog casettes, they're meant for cadence weenies and the skinny chains tend to break under stress.

Good frame at a remarkable price...those 2004 Ids still sell for over $1000 up here, >$2000 for a built bike.
    Last edited by JM01; 10-20-2012 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Nice build, it should climb like a goat, and that 130mm fork will make it handle like a road bike in technical singletrack.

Watch the overspring on the Romic...if you're under 200#, a 500# spring is perfect, if you're fat, you may need a 550# or even a 600#. Also, set the preload (top dial) to about a half inch of sag, that should give you a 13.5"BB. You may need some practice to get used to that standover, though...

Stay away from those 10 cog casettes, they're meant for cadence weenies and the skinny chains tend to break under stress.

Good frame at a remarkable price...those 2004 Ids still sell for over $1000 up here, >$2000 for a built bike.
    it's already got a 550# spring on it (and I am fat at 250lbs =P). i've actually got about 30% sag in the rear right now. Bike feels great, the standover is still a little high, but the riding position is about the same height as my SS 29'er. thanks for the heads up on the 10 speed kit. total cost of the build, with all the donor parts is right at $900. probably gonna be 12-1500 when i'm completely done, new brakes, new fork, but still. i absolutely love the bike.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmanatee View Post
    it's already got a 550# spring on it (and I am fat at 250lbs =P). i've actually got about 30% sag in the rear right now. Bike feels great, the standover is still a little high, but the riding position is about the same height as my SS 29'er. thanks for the heads up on the 10 speed kit. total cost of the build, with all the donor parts is right at $900. probably gonna be 12-1500 when i'm completely done, new brakes, new fork, but still. i absolutely love the bike.
    Ride some of your old trails...you'll love it more and understand why no owner will ever part with his 2004 Id.

You may need a heavier overspring if you keep the Romic Dual, but should be able to compensate with the preload. And 30% sag is way too much, you may blow your shock when it bottoms out. Set it for a half inch.

You may find this of interest:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-scan0002.jpg  

SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-scan0003.jpg  

SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-id.jpg  

SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-scan0001.jpg  

mtbr member

Really? If you know anyone else looking I have a 2005 Id in Medium, lightly used that I am looking to sell

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider View Post
    Really? If you know anyone else looking I have a 2005 Id in Medium, lightly used that I am looking to sell
    There are no 2005 Ids...production stopped at the "good" factory in 2004 when Santa Cruz moved to Taiwan and Ellsworth was forced to move to Washington with new jigs.

mtbr member
    Ah I guess its a 2004 then. I got the frame in 2005, the orange one.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Ah I guess its a 2004 then. I got the frame in 2005, the orange one.
    You could do well in Canada with that frame...one LBS had a built 2002 priced at CAD1999.00 in Toronto last year...a 2004 would easily sell for CAD2500.00. The frame would go for over CAD1000.00.

Interesting question...a 2004 Id bought in 2004 would carry the lifetime warranty, however in 2005 the policy changed to 2 years. What did you get when you bought your frame?

mtbr member
    Still no pictures of this bike?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    You could do well in Canada with that frame...one LBS had a built 2002 priced at CAD1999.00 in Toronto last year...a 2004 would easily sell for CAD2500.00. The frame would go for over CAD1000.00.

Interesting question...a 2004 Id bought in 2004 would carry the lifetime warranty, however in 2005 the policy changed to 2 years. What did you get when you bought your frame?
    A lifetime warranty. My only real problem (and the reason I haven't ridden it much) is I wish I had got a large frame in stead of the medium as the medium is too small for me. But I bought one of the last ones available when that year and their fit guide said a medium would work and I couldn't find a large. If you know of anyone looking have them contact me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-id.jpg  

banned
    Mar 2005
    A lifetime warranty. My only real problem (and the reason I haven't ridden it much) is I wish I had got a large frame in stead of the medium as the medium is too small for me. But I bought one of the last ones available when that year and their fit guide said a medium would work and I couldn't find a large. If you know of anyone looking have them contact me.
    Nice..did the dealer tell you that you bought the "California Edition" frame? Unlike the standard 6" rear travel Id, yours is 5.25" resulting in a .75" lower BB and 1.5 degree slackened HA. Good stability on the fast descents but makes the medium fit a bit smaller.

(Old pic? 2007?)
    Last edited by JM01; 11-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice..did the dealer tell you that you bought the "California Edition" frame? Unlike the standard 6" rear travel Id, yours is 5.25" resulting in a .75" lower BB and 1.5 degree slackened HA. Good stability on the fast descents but makes the medium fit a bit smaller.

(Old pic? 2007?)
    No I bought the frame and fork then built it up. I didn't like the Romic it came with so I put the RP3 on it. Same eye to eye and travel as the Romic it came with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPAM: 2004 Ellsworth ID frameset...only 0 obo-id.jpg