Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sourcing an '06 Ellsworth Dare axle

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  c-rider 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could help me find a suitable, lightweight axle for my Dare frame. Bought it used and it came with a standard size heavy steel bolt in the rear so I'm looking to replace it with a proper alloy piece. Called Ellsworth and he verified the frame was 12x135mm. 135 width axles are tough find, so I ordered a Santa Cruz VP Free 1.0 axle made for 12x150 and it does not fit. #1 it is too thick to slide through the steel collar axle-carriers that clamp into the frame (which the steel bolt is slightly too small for). Maybe the collars are for something slightly smaller than 12mm? #2 it is at least 30mm too short even though it is made for a larger hub width. I believe this is because the drop outs have those dual allen bolt clamps which make the required width much more than normal. Does anyone know what the proper size axle is for this frame, or anywhere I could find one that works? Thanks for any help you can provide

#2 ·
Axle for Dare

Hi
Questions:
1. do you have any pictures?
2. do your dropouts consist of 20mm clamps with 2 bolts on each, much like a 20mm fork?
3. is your axle about 185mm/8"+ long?
4. Can you measure your axle diameter?

I have a 2005 with 20mm rear dropouts, a 15mm Hadley hub with a 15mm aluminum axle with 20mm adapters. Previously I had adapters made to fit DMAX 10mm bolt on wheels.

If you have 20mm dropouts Hadley may have adapters for 10mm &/or 12mm axles.

#3 ·
Wood Bicycle accessory Hardwood Line Bicycle part

1. Santa Cruz 12x150 axle on Right, Current axle Left next to tape measure
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. current axle is 15/32 although the hub is 12mm. 12mm axle is too big for the adapters (and this is the weirdest part) so the adapters I have seem to be made for 15/32.

It sure is a mess, it seems like the guy who sold it to me just threw together whatever he could find. It included a spare seat stay (pictured) with another set of 15/32 adapters so there must be a reason behind the odd size. Is this an Ellsworth thing?
Thanks for the information man, I will try going through Hadley to get it figured out.

#4 ·
Hi
As an alternative, as a short term hack or a desperate last choice, you could get your current adapters machined to fit the Santa Cruz axle. You would need to get them bored to fit the axle and countersunk to center the axle. You might also need to turn down the bolt heads a bit so you have enough material left in the adaptor to clamp them in the dropout.
Good luck
ps. A search of the internet indicates that Hadley did make a 200mm 135x12mm thru axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.