mtbr member

some sizing help please

I'm looking at an 07 epiphany frame. My height is 172cm/5'7" with an inseam of 30".
    I notice the epiphany top tube is 23.5 in the medium size and i'm coming from a medium litespeed niota with a 22.5 top tube length. Do you think the medium will fit me or should i be looking at the small size? Unfortunately i have no dealers close to me so trying one out is not an option.

VooDoo user.
    how long was your stem on the litespeed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    how long was your stem on the litespeed?
    i've been using a 100mm stem

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ellsworth TT are loooooong relative to other manufactures. From your description, you're not all that different to me.
    I've been riding on a Med Id since 2001, and it's always felt a little on the large side of things. Over the years I've shortened the stem, moved the saddle forward but the wheelbase is hard to change.
    If I were to purchase another Ellsworth, I would buy a SM and run a longer seat post. I find that for MTBing, it's better to ride a slightly smaller bike than a slightly larger bike.. of course a correctly fitting frame would be best.. but sometimes people are smack bang in between.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Im 59 and have 29 inseam and Justin at JB Mountain bike (Ellsworth dealer) recommended a small frame longer stem for me. Ive been riding a medium bike for at least eight to ten years. I purchased a small 2008 Epiphany although Im not finished building yet, sitting over the bike you feel like the cockpit is much smaller but geometry I believe will be much better.

VooDoo user.
    I rode a med Moment w/ a 23.5(ish) TT and ran a 90mm stem. I'm 5'11".

My preference is to have a slightly longer TT and run a shorter stem but that's just me.

You'd likely be good on a small but could make a Med work if you ran a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the help, i spoke with a rep from ellsworth customer service today who had the same measurements as myself and he assured me a medium with a 90mm stem would fit me perfect. I guess i'll take my chances and hope everything works out.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR

My preference is to have a slightly longer TT and run a shorter stem but that's just me.

You'd likely be good on a small but could make a Med work if you ran a 70mm stem.
    I agree,long TT helps avoiding knee hitting stem and it is easier to use bodyenglish on technical section of trail.Hmmm..... feeling is like you ride in the bike rather than on the bike with longer TT.

Time is not a road.
    I'm 5'7" and ride a small Moment. I tested a Med Epi and didn't like the stretched out feel. My Isis was a Med, too and it always felt a tad long. Over the years I progressively shortened the stem. It rode OK, but after having the small I see now how I maneuver the small bike better than the med. However, I do run a layback (offset) post instead of an inline one and I'm running a shorter stem on my Moment than I did on my Isis (with a longer fork...it's better with slacker HA). My overall position on both bikes is radically different.

The Med bikes do have a longer wheelbase which does make them a bit more stable on the DHs but it also makes them longer on the climbs and puts more weight up front so that it's harder to float the front end.

I rode a buddy's Med Moment and I'd say that with some tweaking, I could make that frame work, too. There's some advantage to being in between sizes. It can go either way and you really can't buy the wrong size. It'll come down to how you set up the cockpit.