mtbr member
    May 2005

Some questions about the Moment SST.2

Hi there Ellsworth community

Winter is coming and so the plans of building a new bike for the coming spring arise.

I've got some questions about the Ellsworth Moment SST.2 and unfortunately I am not able to find the right information on the Ellsworth webpage. Maybe someone of you can chime in.

-Is there somewhere a picture of the Moment SST.2 frame only? The only picture of the bike I was able to find, is the complete build from the Ellsworth page.

- Ellsworth page says "effectice top tube length" - does this mean the length of the tube is measured parallel to the tube and not horizontal to the ground? So the horizontal length should be even longer than the effective top tube length? I hope you get what I mean...

-Apparently the frame has ISCG-tabs - is this correct?

-What is the rear axle size?

- What do you think about using a Cane Creek Angleset headset for tapered headtubes to slacken the headangle a bit more (in combination with a Fox 36 160 mm fork)

-Are there any confirmed weights of the frame available?

- Is the rear of the frame black anodized or powdercoated?

- What other changes have been made to the frame apart from the sloped tubes, ISCG tabs and tapered headset?

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    anyone??

VooDoo user.
    Call ellsworth

ZEN RIDER!
    In general Ellsworth's have a long top tube & from what i've read so far the new Moment continues to have a longer cockpit. Personally thats my biggest complaint with my Moment.
    I wish I had gotten a small.
    Life in every breath

Tool
    As someone in the market for a Truth, I feel your pain.

Ellsworth should be utterly embarassed by their website. If it were any worse I'd accuse one of their competitors of running it.

The Wrench Science website has more information and pics than the Ells site. Frame weights are listed on this site (they list 7.41lbs for the 2011 SST.2 Moment frame.

It's a good looking frame (Google Images is your friend here):

I believe the Effective Top Tube length is the measurement parallel to the ground. It's the most useful TT measurement as it relates to proper fit.

Ellswoth themselves or an authorized dealer might be the best source for your other questions.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all your answers. The problem is, that normally I always need a small frame as I am only 1.65 m tall (about 5.41 feet) and I am afraid, that even a small Moment frame would be too long for me because of the long toptube.

The picture you've posted is IMHO not the 2011 modell - if you compare it to the complete build from the Ellsworth page, the frame looks different (the 2011 model has tubes that are more sloped/bent and a tapered headset-tube).

Tool
    You're right regarding the pic I posted being of the SST.1 The non-tapered head should have been my tipoff. Sorry about that. I'm also having trouble finding any reasonable images of the SST.2 frame only.

Incidentally, I tend to have the opposite problem as you. I'm only a little over 5'9", but I need at least a large frame (long torso and long arms)....this is one of the factors making Ellsworth a good choice for me.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No problem about the pic. But nice to hear that someone else is in the same boat as I am concerning a picture of the Moment SST.2 frame only.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You should be fine on a small my wife is 5'6' and feels more comfortable on the medium than the small. Ellsworth has some traditional geometry but you will love this bike, and a small should be just fine for you. Ellsworth just relaunched parts of their website too so you may be able to find further information if not call them. 760-788-7500

VooDoo user.
    Just use a stubbie stem. Like a 45mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by randan
    Hi there Ellsworth community

Winter is coming and so the plans of building a new bike for the coming spring arise.

I've got some questions about the Ellsworth Moment SST.2 and unfortunately I am not able to find the right information on the Ellsworth webpage. Maybe someone of you can chime in.

-Is there somewhere a picture of the Moment SST.2 frame only? The only picture of the bike I was able to find, is the complete build from the Ellsworth page.

I will see what I can do about this...

- Ellsworth page says "effectice top tube length" - does this mean the length of the tube is measured parallel to the tube and not horizontal to the ground? So the horizontal length should be even longer than the effective top tube length? I hope you get what I mean...

-Apparently the frame has ISCG-tabs - is this correct?

There are ISCG tabs not the ISCG-05 on the bike

-What is the rear axle size?

135 mm

- What do you think about using a Cane Creek Angleset headset for tapered headtubes to slacken the headangle a bit more (in combination with a Fox 36 160 mm fork)

That is up to you but Ellsworth geometry is tried and true. The Fox 36 160 mm fork is recomended by Ellsworth for the SST.2

-Are there any confirmed weights of the frame available?

Frame in a medium weighs 7.3 pounds with an RP23 Boost

Frame in a Large weighs 7.45 pounds with an RP23 Boost

- Is the rear of the frame black anodized or powdercoated?
    The front triangle is annondized as well as the rear triangle there are several color upgrades for the rocker arms as well.
    -
    What other changes have been made to the frame apart from the sloped tubes, ISCG tabs and tapered headset?

The ISCG tabs were there on the previous model the tapered headset is new and there is a new Pivot integrated seat tube. Whcih cut 50 grams off the frame and eliminated a large weld this stiffened and strengthened the frame.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
    I commented in the qoute above

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I emailed Ellsworth about using an angle set as I think it is a great idea and a way to make the moment truly versatile. Tony E repled and said that he had spoken to Cane Creek (he knows the owner I think) and that he is considering speccing the Moment with an angle set for 2012.

By implication I assume that means it will fit.

This years bike has a slightly shorter EFF TT on paper, Probably due to the steeper head tube angle. 23.5 sst2 vs 23.8 for sst1

It is worth considering how the angle set works. As the angle set uses fork angle to alter the relative head angle. Ie the fork steerer passes through the head tube at an angle, the actual reach is reduced by 1/4inch. In addition to this the real head angle becomes steeper as does the seat tube angle. therefore EFF TT length is reduced.

So when using an angle set not only are the bars physically closer to you but the eff TT is made shorter by the seat tube angle being steeper.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi there

thank you very much for your answers! That helped me already a lot. I am not sure, but the 68 headangle seems to me a little steep, if I compare it to other bikes in this category. Most of them have a 67 or even a 66.5 headangle, that is why I intend to use the Cane Creek Angleset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The geometry is very comparabel to the Trek Remedy, which is also listed as having a 68 degree head angle and 14 inch BB. However the extra travel will mean the bikes dynamic geometry will be a little lower and slacker. It is though, definately long travel trail bike geometry not enduro DH.

Using the angleset will slacken the geometry to 66.5 degrees head angle and a BB around 13 1/4inch, low and reasonable slack. perfect for the enduro downhill scene like we have in Europe (megavalanche etc)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for your response. I think with the Angleset the Moment could be a perfect bike for my needs.

Speaking of travel - how much rear travel does the Moment SST.2 have? Ellsworth says it's a 6 inch bike, on the website freeborn.co.uk it says the bike has 6.5 inch travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes annoying isn't it. Ellsworth often generalise for the American market, calling a bike 4, 5 or 6 inch travel as a whole number when in reality it not exact.

The SST2 has 165mm of rear travel apparently. Although on their website this is now listed as 160mm in the metric specs or 6 inches (which is 152mm) in the standard. I find it irritating, they should be exact and quote it to the mm or fraction of an inch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    we've measured a EW Moment Mk2 with a Fox 36 Talas on 160mm and King headset with a digital inclinometer and the head angle was actually 66.5 degrees!

EW's geometry information is often incorrect on their website - 68 degree does seem stupidly steep for a 6" All-Mountain bike, and we're not sure how valid this HA actually is?

if they have made the SST2 68 in the HA, be aware you can only use the Angleset with a 1.125" steerer fork in a taper headtube - a taper steerer fork will not allow this adjustment to be made

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @ Nsynk: somehow odd, that the indications concerning rear travel differ that much in inch and centimeters. Coming from Switzerland, I am used to the metric system. But anyway 165 mm sounds very good.

@ hampstead bandit: thanks for your information. 66.5 degrees with a 160 mm Fox sounds just perfect. I would use an 1.125" fork anyway, I don't like the tapered ones that much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit
    we've measured a EW Moment Mk2 with a Fox 36 Talas on 160mm and King headset with a digital inclinometer and the head angle was actually 66.5 degrees!

EW's geometry information is often incorrect on their website - 68 degree does seem stupidly steep for a 6" All-Mountain bike, and we're not sure how valid this HA actually is?

if they have made the SST2 68 in the HA, be aware you can only use the Angleset with a 1.125" steerer fork in a taper headtube - a taper steerer fork will not allow this adjustment to be made

It would be good if the true angles on an sst2 could be measured and posted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think that we in Europe are used to seeing things quoted to the mm and the intended use. Ie 160mm all mountain. Wheras in The States it seems that the travel defines the intended use so they just say it's a 6 inch bike and assume that covers anything from about 145mm through to 165 mm.

Personally coming from an engineering background I would like to see things quoted to the mm (or fraction of an inch if using imperial or american standard)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think Ells innacuracy is contageous. if you trawl through all the dealers websites you will find anything from 165mm as on the www.freeborn.co.uk
    or as low as 150mm on www.rspshop.com.

If you want a recommendation I would definately stick with Freeborn. I have always found them very helpfull and they have a good relationship with Ellsworth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit

Ells website often quotes the angles with fork lengths far shorter than the fork most would use. The MK3 SST1 for example was quoted with a typical 130mm fork axle crown length (520mm). Untill you pointed out that the 560mm quoted for the SST2 was static fork length not axle crown I though they had quoted it with too long a fork.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @ Nsynk: thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are the dropouts only for 135 mm axles? I meant I saw the frame somewhere with 142 mm dropouts for 142 x 12 mm wheels. But maybe i mix something up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

MK1, MK2 and MK3

Follow up question:

I recently purchased an ellsworth moment and I would just like to know what an MK1, MK2 and MK3 ellsworth moment frame is?

Thanks so much!

moment_602