mtbr member

Slipping/Popping from the rear cassette?

Here's the scoop:

Medium Frame Ellsworth Moment
    XTR Rear derailleur practically new
    XT Shifter new
    XT 11-34 cassette new
    XTR chain new
    practically new bike.

Upon climbing steep trails(high torque)....in both the small chain ring or middle chain ring and in and three of the largest cassette rings....I'll get popping/slipping out of the rear cassette. The bike was just built and tuned.....each ride it's getting worse....so now I'm posting.

I've heard there maybe a another rear derailleur hangar for use with 11-34 cassettes that will fix this problem..is that true?

I've already tries tuning the rear derailler but to no avail.......any suggestions?

KRZ

Silver bullet
    This could be a lot of things but the same thing happened to me and I was surprised at what I found.

On my Truth I had an almost new XT 34 tooth cassette and couldn't get the slipping and popping out by adjustment either. Finally I took a close look at the cassette and as I spun it I could see the second largest cog was bent in one spot between the spider arms. It was bent outward toward the outside of the bike, don't ask me how that happened. If it was bent inward I would have figured I just dropped the bike on that side on a rock or something. I put the wheel on a truing stand and straightened the cog with an indicator to within .002". It worked for maybe 2 rides and it happened again. The only thing I could figure is some kind of stress was induced that cog somehow. Mass produced stamped parts assembled in Japan. Anyway, I replaced the cassette and the problem went away.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What type of hub do you have?
    any number of possibilities, I would:
    remove the back wheel and check hub bearings (spin the axle),
    remove the QR and check again (basically checking for a broken axle)
    ensure that your cassette is properly attached (or take it off in prep for the next step:

Disassemble the rear hub/ axle and then remove the freehub to check the freehub while it is on the workbench.

why?

I have 2 things happen with different XT rear hubs:

1. The splined section of the hub body that the freehub connects with has cracked/ partially broken
    2. the freehub itself exploded. Actually is was broken but still functioning. The symptom was a very loose back wheel, similar to when an axle breaks. But in this case the axle cones were actually holding the freehub together untill i disassempled and then it just exploded, tiny ball bearing and twisted metal everywhere...

Thumbies

keepin' it rural

twisted link?

i've had this happen because of twisted link in my chain. drove me crazy until i figured out what was causing it...just something else to add to the check list.

Time is not a road.
    How are the chainrings? Are you sure it's at the cassette?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    How are the chainrings? Are you sure it's at the cassette?

Chain Rings are in perfect condition...Race Face Duece XC crankset...with 3 rides on them.

When climbing (and stopping after my momentum is done) the sound is coming from the cassette.

KRZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    What type of hub do you have?
    any number of possibilities, I would:
    remove the back wheel and check hub bearings (spin the axle),
    remove the QR and check again (basically checking for a broken axle)
    ensure that your cassette is properly attached (or take it off in prep for the next step:

Disassemble the rear hub/ axle and then remove the freehub to check the freehub while it is on the workbench.

why?

I have 2 things happen with different XT rear hubs:

1. The splined section of the hub body that the freehub connects with has cracked/ partially broken
    2. the freehub itself exploded. Actually is was broken but still functioning. The symptom was a very loose back wheel, similar to when an axle breaks. But in this case the axle cones were actually holding the freehub together untill i disassempled and then it just exploded, tiny ball bearing and twisted metal everywhere...

Thumbies
    I have Bontrager Race Lite Tubless Wheelset (w/20mm through axle)...with about 10 rides on them....I've experience that (broken hub) before (on a friend's bike) however once he hooked up on working (not broken) spline...he could pedal all day as long as he pedaled in concert with the wheel (no free spinning).

KRZ

Rolling
    Do you have enough chain wrap? That is, is the b-screw pusjing the derailleur onto the cogs enough. Not enough chain wrapped around can cause this problem. A way it can manifest itself is having too short of housing to the derailleur, causing it to pull the chain off the cogs.

Seems with Ellsworths, the derailleur hanger was never long enough and when using 34 tooth cogs, the pulley would either bounch off the pulley or one would have to loosen the b-screw so much, it would effect everything else.

I don't have a newer Ells, but I replaced my Id hanger with an aftermarket one.

Another thing to look for is not just a twisted link, but a tight link...those usually cause the derailleur to buck once in awhile (as it passes through the pulleys) and would also cause slip.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-30-2007 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the same issue with my new Epi, along with a ton of other weird issues with my drive train.. I'm beginning to wonder if I should not have just bought another "cookie cutter" bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by co_biker
    I have the same issue with my new Epi, along with a ton of other weird issues with my drive train.. I'm beginning to wonder if I should not have just bought another "cookie cutter" bike

My Epi's shifting/drivetrain has been flawless, as has the rest of the bike!!!!!!

btw....my drivetrain is all XTR/960.

mtbr member

Back in Bit nezz!

It's all good as of now....I had the rear derailluer adjusted and after a nice ride with some hard climbs it's still A ok. I'll follow up after a couple rides.

KRZ

Time is not a road.
    Uh huh...Shimano derailleurs.

mtbr member

Making the Change....Update

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Uh huh...Shimano derailleurs.

Ok....the rear derailleur has been adjusted about 4 times already so I'm making the change over to SRAM including the SRAM X-9 Shifters along with the X-9 long cage rear derailleur.

I'll end up returning the XT Shifters (Thank you Performance 100% satidfaction guarantee) and giving the rear XTR derailleur back to my buddy.

KRZ