Nickel Havr

Should I buy a Truth?

I'm looking at an Ellsworth Truth (dunno what year)...Its a medium frame built with XTR and Manitou SX Carbon fork and Fox Vanilla shock. Also has carbon bars and seatpost and CB Candy pedals. The only problem I can see from the pics is it has V brakes...

I've also heard the Truth has problems with cracked frames...

I found it for $500 and I know the frame alone retailed for $2k+ so it's a steal!

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Nickel Havr
    Anyone? Is this thing on?

Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Tool
    I believe the frame cracking problems were with older models that didn't have the reinforcement where the seat tube meets the top tube. Given that the one you're looking at doesn't have disc brakes, there is a reasonable chance you're looking at one of the older frames.

That having been said, if it really has full XTR and is in good condition, it's likely worth at least $500, even if the frame is not the strongest.

Of course, you have to do your due diligence and make sure the frame isn't already cracked in any spots. Someone on here should be able to point you to the spots where the older Truth frames have been known to fail.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Nickel Havr
    Thanks Pete... The guy sent me a pic of the seat tube.

This is the best I've got till I go look at it over the weekend...

Tool
    That's definitely an older style frame which is more prone to cracking than the newer ones. Examine every weld closely along with the entire frame. If there happens to be an Ellsworth dealer in the area, see if you can have the shop give it a once over - if they've been an Ellsworth dealer for some time they'll know the critical areas to check (keep in mind they'll want some $ for their time if you can go this route).

Good luck!
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Truth?

I am a truth owner. $500 seems a little to good to be "Truth" (hahha) Even for an older frame. If it's not cracked anywhere I would jump on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The bike in the picture is a pre 2001 Truth. It has bushings, not bearings at the pivots.

These bikes were not prone to breakage, it was primarily 2001 Truths that broke.

Interestingly, it is also not an ICT design. Truths of this era did not have this feature, only the Dare.

jummo

Rolling
    Asking this question here is like going to church and asking "Should I believe in God?"

Are you sure you want to the truth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No! I had one of those and it cracked. I wouldn't buy it but I'm biased.

Get something better.
    2009 Intense Tracer VP / On-One 456 / '99 Homegrown Factory

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    +1 on Jummo's comments. I had a Truth like that, it's pre-2001 and is not prone to cracking at the seat tube. I can tell the model from the "Truth" lettering and the style of the seat stays. The letterings are stickers and not etched on. The tubings are fairly solid and not shaved down like the 2001 model year.

I didn't know it's not an ICT design but I do know it pedaled slightly better than the 2001+ ICT design. It does not bob even when hammered! I'm betting the shock is a non-Propedal model but the frame doesn't need it. However, the 2001+ designs with bearings are more plush. The bushing pivots are a solid design and worked well. However, you should check with Ellsworth to see if they still sell the teflon bushing kit otherwise if the bushings need to be replaced then you are out of luck. If they don't sell the kit anymore at least make sure the bushings are still smooth and are not notching. They can be re-greased.

See if the rear seat stay has the tabs for disc brake, mine did.

If the bikes is in good shape then $500 is a great price for a great performing XC bike which the suspension design still rivals many of the current designs--all without the help of a platform shock. I can see that it has the old Raceface Next carbon cranks which was the sh*t. I'm guessing the bike weighs not much more than 25 pounds.

That bike climbs like a mountain goat with claws. I traded it in for a Moment but to this day I still think about it when I ride cross country. I'm sure you can tell by now! I used a 5" fork on it without issue.

You must keep in mind it's a "cross country" bike and frames from that era tend to be very weight conscious so don't go using it for hucking off 5-foot drops on a regular basis!

Unchained Freewheel
    Grab it! I own one almsot exactly like it (a 99) all XTR, and for 6 plus years its stood up well to everything I've dished out.Bought used and will likely
    stay in my collection for at least another 6 years.Currently I am building up a large Ti-Ruth,with X9 bits and a 2011 Fox fork.Just need to save up a bit more for the CB Iodine's I want,and two sets of Azonic Outlaws I need.
    The Trail Never Ends.

Nickel Havr
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I'm gonna pick it up...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It sure looks like a great deal. Just a few of those components would easily set you back close to $500 alone.

Be sure to post some pix when you get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    do not buy that they are junk i broke 2 dare frames 3 swingarms had to pay for newer rear on the one ****! when i say broke i mean blow the fck apart on landing stick with the nickel use the money for a upgrade or anything but a ellie of any kind .

mtbr member
    I love people who use any product in ways it was not intended and then complain about it. You can't tell me you broke two frames and three arms by normal XC, all mountain, or down hill use. Taking 10 foot drops and then complaining doesnt' count.
    Last edited by C Booty; 09-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    "A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish." - Zen philosopher Basha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    read it again i said it was a DARE , just sayin **** product owed it lived it check ur headtube , setube and every other weld really close the 2nd dare was cacked in 4 differant places

mtbr member
    You read it again... I never commented on what type of Ellsworth you owned. I simply stated that you must be abusing a bike to break 4 welds even if it was purchased at Walmart.
    "A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish." - Zen philosopher Basha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yea i seen u own a shitt ellie too sell it JUNK

mtbr member
    Thank you for proving my point that you have no concept of what your posting on. The fact that you cursed me out and challenged me to a fight (which was removed from this thread) is comical. I'm sure your family is proud....

More importantly, I hope the person who started this thread is enjoying their Truth!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what now u want to fight? idiot it was a ride invite to show i was not abusing my ellsworthless ,i deleated it because i didnt want u to scratch ur ellie,lol alot then some more oh yea did i say lol ......

wc1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i own 2 TRUTH's and both have performed great for many years.
    the 2nd one was a good deal used with a slighlty softer ride.
    1st one is a back up. i don't ride them hard but north jersey trails aren't smooth either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bumping this old thread becuase as a new member I can't start a new thread until I have 5 replies.

Number1

mtbr member
    I LOVED my Truth, but then got an Evolve, and a rigid 29er, and eventually sold the Truth. But it was indeed a nice bike...

SPP
    Rigid.