mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Selecting a seat collar QR clamp

I'm using the same brand seat clamp on both my Truth and Epi - A Specialized QR. From what I can tell, this brand only comes in one size - 34.9 mm. There is a "34" stamped on both of the clamps.
    I don't think this is the best seat clamp available, but it seems to fit well on the Truth. The collar fits snugly around the outside diameter of the Truth seat tube and the seat post (a 27.2 mm Thomson) is firmly retained.
    The same is not true on the Epi. I'm using the same size clamp and the same size seat post, but the Epi seat tube wall seems thinner than on my Truth. So, the seat clamp does not fit snugly over the tube. The result of this is that it is difficult to get the clamp adjusted to hold the seat post firmly in the seat tube.
    I want to replace the Specialized seat clamp on the Epi, preferrably with a Salsa QR.

BUT, the Salsa (like the HOPE QRs) comes in multiple sizes - 28.6, 30.0, 30.6, 32.0, 35.0 and 36.4. I guess that I should go with smaller than 35.0 as the Specialized is supposed to be 34.9 and it, I think, is too big.

What is the proper size to use with the (2008) Epi? Does anybody have other suggestions or input on this topic?
    Last edited by OldHorse; 01-19-2008 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a Salsa QR and I love it...i will never buy another type of QR. Ironically i initially had a Specialized QR on the Epi and it worked OK but not nearly as nice as the Salsa

I just checked the QR all over for any indication of size but saw nothing so i made a measurement with a digital caliper.

the OD of the seat tube on my Epi with the QR clamp in place (measured just beneath the clamp) was 31.65mm....sounds like you should be getting the 32.

but who knows how they measure the diameter of a seatpost QR/collar.

thumb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    I have a Salsa QR and I love it...i will never buy another type of QR. Ironically i initially had a Specialized QR on the Epi and it worked OK but not nearly as nice as the Salsa

I just checked the QR all over for any indication of size but saw nothing so i made a measurement with a digital caliper.

the OD of the seat tube on my Epi with the QR clamp in place (measured just beneath the clamp) was 31.65mm....sounds like you should be getting the 32.

but who knows how they measure the diameter of a seatpost QR/collar.

thumb
    Thumbies: Thanks for your help on this. I am going to go ahead and order the 32 mm Salsa QR. I even checked the Salsa website to see if they gave indication of how the measurement is applied to the seat collar and/or the seat tube. No luck.

I also checked the MTBR reviews and it lists that there are 10 reviews for the Salsa QR seat collar. But, when I go to look at them, it will only list 1 of them. So, if there was any info to be provided there I can't get to it In fact, recently it seems all the reviews are truncated to just one (maybe two) listings. It wasn't always that way, just recently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would get a Hope QR like Jaleas epi , I rounded off the allen head on my Salsa QR quite easily .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    I would get a Hope QR like Jaleas epi , I rounded off the allen head on my Salsa QR quite easily .
    Jaydg:

I looked at the Hope as well. Hope is a good brand. But, I liked the look of the Salsa better, just personal taste.

Can you explain what went wrong with the Salsa lever? I read the MTBR reviews and it got a good review.

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    the hope uses brass bushings not plastic. they are built in the uk not taiwan. salsa are good but in my opinion hope is superior. i personally have both salsa and hope wheel skewers and seatpost clamps and prefer the hopes. they have more clamping power and feel smoother opening and closing. you can't go wrong with either. you would need a salsa 32mm or a hope 31.8mm for your bike
    Last edited by plmrman; 01-20-2008 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is no plastic on my Salsa QR. Maybe they changed the design, i have no idea how old mine is...it came on another bike i bought used about 8 years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    Jaydg:

I looked at the Hope as well. Hope is a good brand. But, I liked the look of the Salsa better, just personal taste.

Can you explain what went wrong with the Salsa lever? I read the MTBR reviews and it got a good review.
    The Salsa QR that I was using had an allen bolt to tighten the tension . If it was'nt tight enough the seat post would have a tendency to slip , so I had to tighten the tension , but in doing so it would be too hard to open using the lever ( which negates the qr function if I have to use a darn tool each time ). I guess repeated use of tightening and loosening rounded out the allen head . Looking forward I would prefer a QR whose tension could be adjusted by hand ( am not sure though if the Hope is hand tightenable, but I would try something new instead of going with Salsa again ) .

Currently I am using the stock clamp , where I can tighten it real good. I probably would keep it that way for trail and predictable riding , and save up to get a gravity dropper for rides where I would be wanting to adjust seat height.

Although my problem with having to over tighten the clamp may be a result of my seatpost slipping due to it being scratched up excessively ( 04- 05 Moments had a scratching issue) , or the de-burring and greasing I did on the inside of the seatpost . In my opinion that is the only flaw this bike has, otherwise it is a real 5 star bike .

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    The Salsa QR that I was using had an allen bolt to tighten the tension . If it was'nt tight enough the seat post would have a tendency to slip , so I had to tighten the tension , but in doing so it would be too hard to open using the lever ( which negates the qr function if I have to use a darn tool each time ). I guess repeated use of tightening and loosening rounded out the allen head . Looking forward I would prefer a QR whose tension could be adjusted by hand ( am not sure though if the Hope is hand tightenable, but I would try something new instead of going with Salsa again ) .

Currently I am using the stock clamp , where I can tighten it real good. I probably would keep it that way for trail and predictable riding , and save up to get a gravity dropper for rides where I would be wanting to adjust seat height.

Although my problem with having to over tighten the clamp may be a result of my seatpost slipping due to it being scratched up excessively ( 04- 05 Moments had a scratching issue) , or the de-burring and greasing I did on the inside of the seatpost . In my opinion that is the only flaw this bike has, otherwise it is a real 5 star bike .
    The Hope has a little knob you can adjust w/o tools for tension changes.
    CDT

bi_ke
    I've had better luck with 31.8mm clamps, rather than 32's, on both my Ellsworths.
    They just seem like a better fit, with less noticeable play.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bi_ke
    I've had better luck with 31.8mm clamps, rather than 32's, on both my Ellsworths.
    They just seem like a better fit, with less noticeable play.
    Are you referring to Hope and do you mean 31.08mm? Hope doesn't list their sizes on their website (?) but Beyond has them listed as having a 31.08 option and no 32 like the Salsa. Why would anyone spec out an adjustable QR seat collar to the hundreths of a mm accuracy? Isn't that about the width of a human hair?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    The Hope has a little knob you can adjust w/o tools for tension changes.
    CDT
    Ah-ha! You are right. And my specialized clamp has the same feature but it appears the Salsa does not. Now I am re-considering my decision but that throws me back to square one - which size to order? I guess it would be the 31.08.
    The other interesting factor is the color - the Salsa website claims it only offers black and silver in QR, but Beyond has all colors. Same as the all colors available on the non-QR which Salsa does offer. I want blue, so if I order Salsa I may have to be prepared to open the box and find something not blue
    As you can see Hope has a very nice blue one...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Old Horse,

You seem to have an eye for detail
    You might as well go all out and make it flashy ( combined shipping for the items ) . Me thinks a Blue Hope seat collar QR would look smashing with Blue Hope QRs for the wheels , along with Blue Hope Floating buzzsaw rotors ( 7- 185mm front , 6- 160 mm back ) and maybe blue Nokon cables.

Now that would make your bike really snazzy would'nt it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Are you referring to Hope and do you mean 31.08mm? Hope doesn't list their sizes on their website (?) but Beyond has them listed as having a 31.08 option and no 32 like the Salsa. Why would anyone spec out an adjustable QR seat collar to the hundreths of a mm accuracy? Isn't that about the width of a human hair?

Probably a typo error of Beyond Bikes am sure they meant 31.8 and not 31.08

bi_ke

That's a mistake on their part.
    It should read 31.8mm, not 31.08mm.

VooDoo user.
    SALSA clamps SUCK the sweet off a dead dogs balls. I have broke 3. Horrible product. never buy any of the salsa junk. (Bent a skewer also)

Switched to Hope and haven't looked back. The brass bushing is the KEY!!!! Smooth operation. (The skewers are of the same AWESOME quality)

YA BABY!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Old Horse,

You seem to have an eye for detail
    You might as well go all out and make it flashy ( combined shipping for the items ) . Me thinks a Blue Hope seat collar QR would look smashing with Blue Hope QRs for the wheels , along with Blue Hope Floating buzzsaw rotors ( 7- 185mm front , 6- 160 mm back ) and maybe blue Nokon cables.

Now that would make your bike really snazzy would'nt it?
    I saw those blue cable shields Jalea put on his Epi. I was jealous of that and kicking my butt for not looking for something like that when I put my build together Anyway, you've reminded me to add it to my order at Beyond
    Didn't see any blue rotors for Hope. That would look flashy with the blue-rim panaracers!
    Ellsworth Ti skewers on sale at Beyond for $30 - 50% discount!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I saw those blue cable shields Jalea put on his Epi. I was jealous of that and kicking my butt for not looking for something like that when I put my build together Anyway, you've reminded me to add it to my order at Beyond
    Didn't see any blue rotors for Hope. That would look flashy with the blue-rim panaracers!
    Ellsworth Ti skewers on sale at Beyond for $30 - 50% discount!
    Oldhorse,

You could probably get the rotors from www.Speedgoat.com or try Monkamoo on Ebay .

As for the Ellsworth skewer , I have one ( it think they only come in SSteel though ) and am not impressed it does not feel positively locked when closed ( it's a friggin skewer ! a generic chinese made one feels more secure ! ) If it is indded Titanium I would stay away from it , If I am not mistaken Salsa does not reccomend use of Titanium skewers on full suspension bikes . Probably because Titanium although stronger than steel may tend to snap whereas steel rolls with the punches ( my laymans perception of the situation )

Pretty much applies to the concept of not using Ti Bolts on certain areas of the bike and having to stick to Steel , maybe others in the forum can expound .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After careful consideration of all the input, Hope QR it is. Who would have thought that selecting such a small part of the bike could be so complicated or so much fun?

BTW, the Hope is 31.8. After going in the cart, Beyond reports it correctly there. Their online inventory system is full of little inaccuracies and confusions. You have to check things carefully.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone know proper size for Id QR? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am looking for the QR Seat Clamp size for a 2006 Epiphany. The Ellsworth site lists the size for a lot of the models but mysteriously skips the Epiphany altogether. Most of the other Ellsworth's were listed at 34.9 so I bought one and it is way too big... can anyone help? Thanks!