mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Seatpost for Epiphany - straight or set back?

I will be an Ellsworth Epiphany riders in a weeks time, just waiting for the delivery. It's an M size frame with Fox Talas RLC. I'm 175cm (~5', 9"), 175lb. I plan to transfer some of my current components but will need to get a new seatpost. I will be putting on a 100mm Bontrager Race X Lite stem and a low rise Bontrager Race X Lite handlebars. I would like to know if I need a setback seatpost of a straight seatpost will do.

The stem and handle bar came from my Trek Fuel EX8 and I had a straight seatpost with it. The riding position on the Trek Fuel EX8 was just perfect and would like to be able to replicate it on the Epiphany. Appreciate some advice given the rear triangle will be very different and I thought I might need a setback seatpost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I have the same frame with the same fork and I am also 5'9" tall. I use a Thomson Elite straight post. You will have a ton of seatpost sticking out. Get a 440mm length post to make sure you have the requisite 8cm of seatpost in the frame (o/w it voids the warranty).

I have a 100mm Thomson X4 stem and Race Face Deus low risers.

The bike is incredible.

MTB SOCAL
    I'm 5'10" and I ride a medium Epi with a 100mm stem and Thomson Masterpiece straight seatpost. The bike fits great. Like an earlier poster mentioned, Ellsworths tend to have pretty sloped top-tubes, so there will be a lot of seatpost exposed. I was just barely able to use a Masterpiece post (330 mm). You may need to get a longer post - up to a 410. Enjoy the bike - you will love it.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

HIKE!
    www.allmountainpost.com
    www.gravitydropper.com

Looks like a vote for straight. How can a guy ride without a RASH (Remote Adjustable Seat Height) post here in the modern age?