mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Scratched up my new Truth (venting)

Bike was leaning up against my work bench as I was adjusting the seatpost, dogs run by playing and bump into the bike... bike falls to the concrete, handlbars turn and brake lever impacts the top tube.

2 hours later I put the bike on my receiver mount rack. Driving to a ride. Brake lever rubbed up against the other side of the top tube for 1hr. 2 scratches on a 10 day old Truth.

Didn't even get a good fall in yet.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by jldavis
    Bike was leaning up against my work bench as I was adjusting the seatpost, dogs run by playing and bump into the bike... bike falls to the concrete, handlbars turn and brake lever impacts the top tube.

2 hours later I put the bike on my receiver mount rack. Driving to a ride. Brake lever rubbed up against the other side of the top tube for 1hr. 2 scratches on a 10 day old Truth.

Didn't even get a good fall in yet.
    Whew! Thank God that's over...the most nerve racking part of any new thing is its first "ding" - bike, car, girlfriend, whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Actually, you're right. I never really thought of it like that.

Time is not a road.
    I've done the same thing a bunch...

Got a new stem, dropped the bike against the car - small dent on the stem

Got a new post, tumbled on the rocks - scratched up post

Just about every fork I've ever gotten - BAM! rocks...

A couple of years ago I was cleaning a powder coated bike next to my apt and leaned it against the brick, it rolled backwards and scratched the bike to the metal for a full inch. That sucked...

I can say, though, that on my Ellsworths, I've had some good crashes and done very little to the frames. They're pretty resistant to scratching because of the shot peened finish. I asked the Ellsworth folks about the new finishes and they seemed to be pretty confident that they are also tough. They told me that instead of the shot peening, they are blasted with plastic beads to harden the metal which does a pretty good job. Hopefully, your scratches are small - maybe you can make up some good story about them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Alright, I got one that'll top that. I just got back from the bike shop to pick up my Truth. I leaned the bike against the patio table, turned around to grab some tools so I could install bar ends (this was back in 2001), and BANG!

Crap I thought, the bike fell over, it's probably scratched now. Nope, I got a quarter sized dent on the top tube from a freakin' flower pot. I didn't get even one ride in. Boy was I bummed for the next month. Good thing I had some stickers laying around.