Tool

Scalpel to Truth...what am I in for?

Hi Ellsworth Owners,

My last XC race bike was as C'Dale Scalpel (carbon, 100mm), and other than it being either poorly manufactured or fragile, I absolutely loved the bike. Nothing I've thrown a leg over handles so nimbly and pedals so efficiently. With the Scalpel, I had to do little more than think 'right', and the bike would go to the right.

I have an opportunity to buy a new 2010 (SST.1) Truth at a great price.

Does anyone here have experience with both bikes? The praise about ICT and it's efficiency is universal, so I'm not worried about how the Truth will pedal or handle rough terrain. I am concerned whether or not it will match the nimble, almost effortless handling of the Scalpel.

I was also considering a 2010 Evolve, but the concern above is steering me away from that, despite being tempted by the advantages of a big wheel. The 2011 Evolve might be a different story with its more agggressive geo, however, it would be considerably more money than the 2010.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

TIA,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    i have a scalpel and have ridden a variety of "active" full suss race bikes from an Anthem X, Blur, Epic and Top Fuel. None of these felt as nimble or as quick as the Scalpel. However, the big advantage these bikes have vs. the Scalpel is that they pedal so well through rough stuff. The Scalpel is a soft tail and very hardtail like in feel. When pedalling through rough stuff, you still get bucked around. Better than a hardtail... but not as good as something far more active. All of the bikes above will have a similar feel to the Truth in that they arent single pivots (with the exception of the Trek) - so my view is if you want a bike that truly can be an allrounder - the Truth may be a great bike to look at. Its not going to be the quickest though ;-)

Tool
    Thanks, nathanbal. It sounds like I'm going to enjoy my Truth.

I will know for sure soon - I got the call from the builder last night that my new 2010 Truth is ready for me to pick up (I'm hoping to get Friday off to pick it up and ride).

I'll be posting pics of the new whip in my 'New Truth on the Way' thread.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.