mtbr member

New question here. RP3 on a Joker7?

Ok, might be a bit of an odd choice, but is putting a '05 Fox RP3 on a Joker7 insane? Looking to make my all day bike just a bit more hill-friendly.

In the past few months I've had the chance to take a '04 Truth with ProPedal and a 575 with a 5th Air for extended rides, and they both just made me realise what I'm missing when going up hills. (And no, can't quite justify replacing the Joker at the moment! It's great for everything else anyway.)

For various reasons my Joker is currently set up with a 7.5x2.0 Fox RC (non-propedal), so I'd probably go with the 7.5x2.0 RP3 (I understand the claimed 8.5x2.5 RP3 doesn't really exist anyway).

not so super...

Idea! How about the DHX

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain
    Ok, might be a bit of an odd choice, but is putting a '05 Fox RP3 on a Joker7 insane? Looking to make my all day bike just a bit more hill-friendly.

In the past few months I've had the chance to take a '04 Truth with ProPedal and a 575 with a 5th Air for extended rides, and they both just made me realise what I'm missing when going up hills. (And no, can't quite justify replacing the Joker at the moment! It's great for everything else anyway.)

For various reasons my Joker is currently set up with a 7.5x2.0 Fox RC (non-propedal), so I'd probably go with the 7.5x2.0 RP3 (I understand the claimed 8.5x2.5 RP3 doesn't really exist anyway).
    I'm assuming you are using the optional 5" travel mounting holes for the 1" shorter i2i shock. Those other bikes you mentioned have a steeper head angle than your Joker so your fork choice will also effect your climbing ability also. To balance things out I'd suggest no more than 130mm up front and a model with a travel reduction for climbing would be nice also. The Joker frame is still light enough that mounting an air shock is not too insane and 5" of travel is a good amount for all day trail riding but if you want to keep the big hit capabilities of the bike maybe get a DHX. The DHX provides a phenominal ride. It can be setup to remove the smallest of bumps and still provide a bob-free pedaling experience.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I'm assuming you are using the optional 5" travel mounting holes for the 1" shorter i2i shock. Those other bikes you mentioned have a steeper head angle than your Joker so your fork choice will also effect your climbing ability also. To balance things out I'd suggest no more than 130mm up front and a model with a travel reduction for climbing would be nice also. The Joker frame is still light enough that mounting an air shock is not too insane and 5" of travel is a good amount for all day trail riding but if you want to keep the big hit capabilities of the bike maybe get a DHX. The DHX provides a phenominal ride. It can be setup to remove the smallest of bumps and still provide a bob-free pedaling experience.
    Or get the RC Pushed. I think they are making long travel air shocks this year, so he might not have to run it in the 5" travel setting.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you are using the optional 5" travel mounting holes for the 1" shorter i2i shock.
    Actually, no - I got it with a shuttle to use the 7.5" shock (so it sits in between the two sets of holes on the frame). Came from Ells as part of a warranty replacement (here we go, bring on the flamers!).
    Those other bikes you mentioned have a steeper head angle than your Joker so your fork choice will also effect your climbing ability also.
    Yup, Vanilla 125 here - so moderately steep still.
    if you want to keep the big hit capabilities of the bike maybe get a DHX. The DHX provides a phenominal ride. It can be setup to remove the smallest of bumps and still provide a bob-free pedaling experience.
    That's a good idea - although part of my thinking was making the Joker just that bit lighter. But I'll look into that too - thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I think they are making long travel air shocks this year
    Fox said they'd be doing a 8.5" eye to eye '05 Float, but nobody I've spoken to has actually seen evidence of one existing.

not so super...
    although part of my thinking was making the Joker just that bit lighter.
    IMO...there are better places to save weight to make it a more capable climber than in the shock like the tires and wheels. It is unlikely that the pound or less that you save with an air shock would even be noticeable. However, adding a shock that had some kind of platform would be noticeable and much more power would be going to the wheels instead of being wasted on BOB. Sure the RP3 would give you that same platform but I'm biased toward the coils (especially on 6"+ travel bikes) and the DHX is a great one.

I had a Joker with a Romic as my do-it-all bike and it pedaled and climbed well, although it was a little harsh on small square-edged hits, but the DHX would have been an excellent shock for that frame.

What's your build and let's see a picture

mtbr member

DHX no go

Sure the RP3 would give you that same platform but I'm biased toward the coils (especially on 6"+ travel bikes) and the DHX is a great one.
    Have since been told that a DHX won't fit on a Joker (air valve hits the frame), so I guess that's not an option anyway. Oh well.

not so super...
    Have since been told that a DHX won't fit on a Joker (air valve hits the frame), so I guess that's not an option anyway. Oh well.
    Bummer! Is that on all frame sizes or just the smaller sizes? Have you thought about getting the PUSH mods done to your Vanilla?