mtbr member
    Aug 2007

RP23 leaking suspension fluid?

After riding yesterday I noticed what I think must be suspension fluid on the piston tube of my RP23 rear shock. Hard to say how much it was, but it didn't seem like a lot. I wiped it off and can find no further signs of leakage. The RP23 is on my Epiphany and I have had it only a couple months, maybe about 500 miles of ride I would guess.
    I wonder if this is something I should worry about? I read the Fox manual and can find nothing about such a condition. A few notes:
    1. The O-ring position after the ride is still on the piston so I didn't bottom out.
    2. I weigh 150 lbs and have the RP23 set around 140 psi. The sag and bump handling seem just right and as I mention, I'm not bottoming out. I checked the pressure again and its 140 so there was no pressure leak.
    3. Its been real cold lately, not above freezing all day. I wonder if there is an operating temp issue? I checked the manual for that and nothing is mentioned.
    4. I rode more aggressively yesterday than my normal routes. At the end of the ride there is a section I call "the turtles". A long rolling downhill track that has been "paved" with a continuous line of tortoise size/shape smooth rocks that have drops of a foot or so between them. I wouldn't expect this to be a problem, I've ridden it on the Truth but not as fast and snappy as I can on the Epi.
    Maybe this is just a normal "break in" situation. Anybody have any advice or answers?

sock puppet

i'd say it is normal

if it doesnt happen again... keep an eye... good thing is no pressure loss... let us know...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    After riding yesterday I noticed what I think must be suspension fluid on the piston tube of my RP23 rear shock. Hard to say how much it was, but it didn't seem like a lot. I wiped it off and can find no further signs of leakage. The RP23 is on my Epiphany and I have had it only a couple months, maybe about 500 miles of ride I would guess.
    I wonder if this is something I should worry about? I read the Fox manual and can find nothing about such a condition. A few notes:
    1. The O-ring position after the ride is still on the piston so I didn't bottom out.
    2. I weigh 150 lbs and have the RP23 set around 140 psi. The sag and bump handling seem just right and as I mention, I'm not bottoming out. I checked the pressure again and its 140 so there was no pressure leak.
    3. Its been real cold lately, not above freezing all day. I wonder if there is an operating temp issue? I checked the manual for that and nothing is mentioned.
    4. I rode more aggressively yesterday than my normal routes. At the end of the ride there is a section I call "the turtles". A long rolling downhill track that has been "paved" with a continuous line of tortoise size/shape smooth rocks that have drops of a foot or so between them. I wouldn't expect this to be a problem, I've ridden it on the Truth but not as fast and snappy as I can on the Epi.
    Maybe this is just a normal "break in" situation. Anybody have any advice or answers?

Rolling
    This is definitely an Ellsworth issue...so make sure you never post this on the shock forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    This is definitely an Ellsworth issue...so make sure you never post this on the shock forum.
    Lidarman: Are you saying (with sarcasm) I should have posted on the shock forum? I thought about that but wondered if I should check with Ellsworth owners first. After all, the shock came with my frame and just about every Ells owner uses Fox shocks. Maybe the shock forum would have a bunch of people who just want to trash Fox instead of telling me something useful.
    Or maybe there is some problem related to Ellsworth that you are implying. If so, please tell me what it is.
    Thanks.

sock puppet

hmmm...

OH please meat L-man, a resident expert psychologist and on duty joker... he broke few ellsworths in his life, working on breaking his turner or learning how to ride moab, whichever comes first... he is a homer, but would never admit to it... kinda ok guy... knows $hit about shocks...

Lidarman: Are you saying (with sarcasm) I should have posted on the shock forum? I thought about that but wondered if I should check with Ellsworth owners first. After all, the shock came with my frame and just about every Ells owner uses Fox shocks. Maybe the shock forum would have a bunch of people who just want to trash Fox instead of telling me something useful.
    Or maybe there is some problem related to Ellsworth that you are implying. If so, please tell me what it is.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ok.
    Could someone just please tell me if am a dumb-ass for asking Epi owners about a problem with the "Especially Tuned for Ellsworth" shock that came pre-installed on the Epi frame I bought?
    Or, if there is some kind of flaw or issue that has been uncovered before?
    I did read the manual and I did search the site for information and I did try to read the reviews (for some reason not all reviews seem to get listed anymore). Nothing.
    When you pay a bunch of money for something and you haven't had it long and you don't have any decent local service and it starts to leak you mainly want to know if this is serious or not. If it is, I have to unbolt the damn thing and take back to the US in February. And since I don't have a lot of time while I am there I have to prep the return/repair in advance.
    I never had to ask people about things when I lived in the US because I could just take it to my LBS. Here I am more or less on my own. And, I am not a trained mechanic.
    Thanks.

T_E
    mtbr member
    Don't worry about it dude. You're just breaking it in. Another 500 and you're good. Check out the shocks/suspension section.
    It's a chronic addiction

sock puppet

so i guess you didnt find my answer

convincing or believable...

i purchased Fox F100X few years ago and it started to leak few rides in... called Fox - they said it was normal - that is how stanchions get lubricated... so i said, "fine"... kept on riding... the damper leg kept drooling... so i ordered Enduro Seals from chris at enduroseals.com (by the way - a great guy and a great service oriented company), installed them myself following simple instructions that are posted on their website, and voila - no more leaks...

so how does this relate to your question?

at the same time i was using 5th element shock that was "wet" from time to time after ride, some times more some times less, but it was keeping it pressure and working just fine... used it like that for couple of seasons, without any problems... my current RP3 is "wetting" once in a blue moon, but it does, and i just clean it up, use stanchion lube on the bushing as often as i can, and it is still working just fine...

that is what i suggested to you. it is too early to pull the trigger and send it in for repair - most shocks drool a bit at the beginning - during the break in, until all seals settle in... give it at least couple of hundreds of kms before you do anything.. make sure you clean the cylinder after every ride, and keep it lubricated with stanchion lube.... finish line has an excellent stanchion lube... get it...

where are you located?

Ok.
    Could someone just please tell me if am a dumb-ass for asking Epi owners about a problem with the "Especially Tuned for Ellsworth" shock that came pre-installed on the Epi frame I bought?
    Or, if there is some kind of flaw or issue that has been uncovered before?
    I did read the manual and I did search the site for information and I did try to read the reviews (for some reason not all reviews seem to get listed anymore). Nothing.
    When you pay a bunch of money for something and you haven't had it long and you don't have any decent local service and it starts to leak you mainly want to know if this is serious or not. If it is, I have to unbolt the damn thing and take back to the US in February. And since I don't have a lot of time while I am there I have to prep the return/repair in advance.
    I never had to ask people about things when I lived in the US because I could just take it to my LBS. Here I am more or less on my own. And, I am not a trained mechanic.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    convincing or believable...

i purchased Fox F100X few years ago and it started to leak few rides in... called Fox - they said it was normal - that is how stanchions get lubricated... so i said, "fine"... kept on riding... the damper leg kept drooling... so i ordered Enduro Seals from chris at enduroseals.com (by the way - a great guy and a great service oriented company), installed them myself following simple instructions that are posted on their website, and voila - no more leaks...

so how does this relate to your question?

at the same time i was using 5th element shock that was "wet" from time to time after ride, some times more some times less, but it was keeping it pressure and working just fine... used it like that for couple of seasons, without any problems... my current RP3 is "wetting" once in a blue moon, but it does, and i just clean it up, use stanchion lube on the bushing as often as i can, and it is still working just fine...

that is what i suggested to you. it is too early to pull the trigger and send it in for repair - most shocks drool a bit at the beginning - during the break in, until all seals settle in... give it at least couple of hundreds of kms before you do anything.. make sure you clean the cylinder after every ride, and keep it lubricated with stanchion lube.... finish line has an excellent stanchion lube... get it...

where are you located?
    Oskolo: Thanks for your help. I was a bit frustrated with L-man's cryptic response given what I considered a rather important issue to me. I appreciate your detailed expert experience and advice. I;ve had the Truth for three years now and the FloatR never leaked. I scoured the Fox manual and their tech center online and found no mention of this situation anywhere. I did find one section in their manual entitled "Seals and Foam Rings" that had one line:
    "Storing the bicycle upside down and inverting the fork allows oil to run down to the foam rings and keeps them lubricated and ready for your next ride."
    I'm hanging my hat in Beijing nowadays. Great riding here. You can see some of my rides on my thread:
    Beijing Ride Report - Jan 16, 2008
    Although my LBS told me there is no Fox service center in China, I did a search and seems a Hong Kong company that is an official service center for Fox now has an office in Beijing. Having some kind of local service is helpful. My LBS boys are great guys; what I like about them is they actually ride and ride hard (unlike a lot of shops here mostly selling Giant and into the money). They are actually a (dare I say it here?) Santa Cruz distributor and one of them is riding an Intense. But, they are a bit "relaxed" about assembly and repair. Living in the US I got used to having a knowledgeable mechanic who was trained and did things "by the book". So, now I have to take a lot more responsibilty for myself. Its good to learn I guess. MTBR is really my only place to turn for expert advice.

bi_ke
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

That's great.