Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roll Call - show us your Ellsworth

125K views 284 replies 173 participants last post by  sentinel prime 
#1 ·
Come out of the woodwork and show us the goods. Tell us how you like it as well.

Here's our very own Photo-John in the delivery room!

Attachments

See less See more
#23 ·
SSINGA said:
IMO...the Red Ano is one of the best colors!

You're right, don't get on it.
the red is definitely one of the best choices. I'd have to get out of my grey stage- 3 of the 4 bikes are ti grey. oh well.

DiRt DeViL said:
Stay away from Dad's bike.
its a good thing that I dont live there- or else I'd see it every day and be rather tempted.

here's the cool part- that whole bike is a hair under 29 lbs. it weighs less than my sofa king hardtail gearie. ouch.

#27 · (Edited)
Sweet Looking bike indeed.

mtblife said:
My girlfriend is jealous of my bike. I spend more time with it than her, sorry honey.
I really like the look of your build and I like the frame colour.

Two question - On your chainstay is that a road tube or something raped around it, or something else. It looks very neat and tidy, wouldn't mind adding that to my Truth. Second question - Is your seatpost a 350mm or longer EC70. I have the 350mm and it continually slips and I have done some damage to the post so was thinking of getting the longer one... Curious to know if you know the weight of the post?

Sweet bike - Your girlfriend would probably spend more time on a Truth if she new how it rode!!!

Ciao
Trevor!

#28 ·
Yo, Trevor...

On my chainstay, I have a regular 26X1.95-2.1 MTB inner tube. Just simply cut the desired length and you've got the cheapest yet functional chainstay guard. To put it on, just simply unscrew the chainstay bolt, slip on the tube and voila, you've done it!
As for my seatpost length, it's a 350mm EC70. The weight is about 200g, according to Easton. Many people have the similar complaint you have about the seatpost slipping down. I fortunately have not. In fact, when I ride XC, I have the seatpost set to #3 and never experience slippage. Hopefully you didn't lube your seatpost, because it is entriely NOT needed. If your looking for this same seatpost but in a longer length, that is 400mm, I spoke to a rep from Easton and they said they're working on it. It should be available some time in July this year. Hey by the way thanks for your feedback on the "Why bike to buy forum," regarding "What size truth do you ride." Remember? It was posted by the name "Saddle Sore." Keep on ridin!!!!
Trevor! said:
I really like the look of your build and I like the frame colour.

Two question - On your chainstay is that a road tube or something raped around it, or something else. It looks very neat and tidy, wouldn't mind adding that to my Truth. Second question - Is your seatpost a 350mm or longer EC70. I have the 350mm and it continually slips and I have done some damage to the post so was thinking of getting the longer one... Curious to know if you know the weight of the post?

Sweet bike - Your girlfriend would probably spend more time on a Truth if she new how it rode!!!

Ciao
Trevor!

#29 ·
Happy to see you made the right choice, mtblife

mtblife said:
On my chainstay, I have a regular 26X1.95-2.1 MTB inner tube. Just simply cut the desired length and you've got the cheapest yet functional chainstay guard. To put it on, just simply unscrew the chainstay bolt, slip on the tube and voila, you've done it!
As for my seatpost length, it's a 350mm EC70. The weight is about 200g, according to Easton. Many people have the similar complaint you have about the seatpost slipping down. I fortunately have not. In fact, when I ride XC, I have the seatpost set to #3 and never experience slippage. Hopefully you didn't lube your seatpost, because it is entriely NOT needed. If your looking for this same seatpost but in a longer length, that is 400mm, I spoke to a rep from Easton and they said they're working on it. It should be available some time in July this year. Hey by the way thanks for your feedback on the "Why bike to buy forum," regarding "What size truth do you ride." Remember? It was posted by the name "Saddle Sore." Keep on ridin!!!!
I am happy to see you picked up the Ellsworth and no doubt you are loving the bike.I cant seem to ride mine enough and I am getting on the trails 7 days a week! I have my seatpost set on 6 so would like a slightly longer seatpost for when I grow and also to provide me some assurance from my current deeply scratch EC70 :eek: ....

I'll have to use an old tube on the chainstay as it looks much nicer then my current Lizard Skin..

Great to see you picked up Truth.
Trevor!

#30 ·
This was my first Ellsworth Joker

I bought this 03 Ellsworth Joker here on MTBReview back in July. It came with the following parts: fork: 2002 Fox Vanilla R
headset: Chris King
hubs: Chris King ISO
rims: Mavic D321 laced with DT DB spokes
brakes: 2002 Avid disk with Avid levers
cranks: 2003 XT with '03 XT BB
tires: Nokian Gazza Jr., Nokian Gazza Dual
stem/bars: Easton EA50
shifters: 2002 XT

This was my first mountainbike, I call it phase one

Attachments

#32 ·
Super Q said:
This was the same 03 frame, but as you can see, i upgraded to a romic shock in the rear, hope m4's 185mm, thompson seatpost, raceface stem, truvative crankset, new seat, and that's about it. This was like phase 4.5
Nice looking bike Super Q!! Is that a 7" rear travel frame. I noticed in the 1st pic it had a shock mount adaptor bracket for the Fox. Those are some BLUE tires!!!!!

#33 ·
2004 1.5 headtube Joker

This is my latest Ellsworth Joker. I wanted the 04 joker with a 1.5 headtube, but since I already had an 03, I wasn't about to buy a new 04. Then one day I was in my LBS, and the owner told me he could make me a great deal on an 04 1.5 with a build kit. I had been planning on upgrading my old 03 joker front fork to a sherman breakout ($500.00), and he said that he would make me a deal on the build kit. So I put my old frame, fork, stem, and bars up for sale, and I ended up getting the new 04 joker and only had to pay about $250.00 difference. I loved the 03, but I love my 04 more. It's a little heavy at 39lbs, but i think alot of that is in the heavy downhill tubes I am running. I have only ridden the bike once since I got it, so it's still nice and shiny clean :)

Attachments

#34 ·
yup that's right, at first the 03 had a shock mount adaptor bracket for the fox rear shock. It was the 7" travel version, but with the adaptor, it was only getting 5.5 in the rear, so I upgraded to a romic, and you know it climbed better and bobed less with the 7" romic than with the 5.5 fox!

#37 ·
An observation

I've been bored at work browsing the pictures of everyones bikes and have noticed a common trend in the ellsworth section that surprised me. ALOT of people mention cracking this, replacing that, breaking this...what's up with ellsworth? they cost a fortune yet still break?? i've wanted to get an ID or truth for awhile now but may be looking elsewhere!

#38 ·
All bikes break...

Spookykinkajou said:
I've been bored at work browsing the pictures of everyones bikes and have noticed a common trend in the ellsworth section that surprised me. ALOT of people mention cracking this, replacing that, breaking this...what's up with ellsworth? they cost a fortune yet still break?? i've wanted to get an ID or truth for awhile now but may be looking elsewhere!
Any frame can and will break especially it it is used outside it's "intended purpose". I've been present when or personally broken many different brands. Personally, I've broken an Ellsworth, Azonic and a few Giants. I've seen Yeti, Specialized, Fisher, Trek, Turner and Santa Cruz frames break. Some were true JRA's and others were asking for the break. It is true though that alot of the early Ellsworths had some design flaws and were prone to break. I was treated very well when I called to warranty the part and had a completely redesigned swingarm in 4 days, no questions asked. I wouldn't be worried about if you are purchasing it new and as a matter of fact my next bike will be an Ellsworth.

#44 ·
How, pray tell me

wjc1 said:
My TRUTH no longer has the fender or the cheezy XTR sticker on the wheels and the tires are now WTB Weirwolfs. -Bill
How did you go about getting the stickers off the wheel set ? I wouldn't mind 'upgrading' my wheels to something less garish (Mavic CrossMax XLs). That and it'll save 100 grams or something silly. Once that's done how about tackling the "Ellsworth" graphic ?

#45 ·
UR Truth size?

Hey Bill, nice Truth. Yeah, I switched my tires also, and to Weirwolf. There the best tires I've tried, and I've tried many. I just got these Pythons only for hard packed terrain, and only for this kind of terrain. Using them on any other is futile. By the way, what size Truth are you ridin?

~Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.