Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VooDoo user.

Rogue for trail riding???

SO I was looking through the Rogue set-up files and it looked like lots of them were built to be XC/AM/endurance/Light FR/aggro trail/ etc

Would a 7" rogue be too much bike for epic rides? There are always a few trails I wish I had a bit more travel.

I was going to replace the moment with a moment but now a 7" rogue has got me thinking?

Get a rogue this season and then a 5"bike next season to compliment it. Or get the moment and have that be the "ONE BIKE ".

It's just madness in my head right now.

Opinions???

Rolling
    I know people who trail ride on Bullits. If you don't mind the extra workout for the extra squish, go for it.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Timberr- are you still in indecision land? Well, maybe I can help you be more confused.

I would say, why buy the same bike again if it has changed very little? The Rogue can probably give you a different riding experience, yet still work as an all mountain bike. Move up and have more fun. (more travel = more fun in my book).

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am going to build Rogue for trail use.Project: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1780833/ Ano has been removed from front triange.Mayby it needs Ellsworth sticker set...... ..?
    Where these can be bought in EU?
    Any advise for air rear shock and fork options for light trail 7" or 8" setup?

Time is not a road.
    Do it, man. If you got the lungs n legs, go for it. Besides, there's plenty of opportunity to get a bike like that up to WP, Keystone, Vail, wherever, too. 7" travel forks aren't even all that heavy really. Depending on the wheels and tires, it should come in mid 30s on weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do it! The Rogue still pedals better than most out there at that amount of travel.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Timberr- are you still in indecision land? Well, maybe I can help you be more confused.

I would say, why buy the same bike again if it has changed very little? The Rogue can probably give you a different riding experience, yet still work as an all mountain bike. Move up and have more fun. (more travel = more fun in my book).
    Indecision land!!! Thats awesome. [SIZE="1"](yet not a fun place to be)[/SIZE]

I think I could get one built in the 33# range. Lots "O" carbon and guberrlight wheelset and tires. HMMMMMMMM.

Already have the 66 which is freshly back from warranty. Very tempting.

VooDoo user.
    I really wonder if it will climb as good as the Moment. I was able to keep up with some very strong XC climbers on that bike. Would hate to be dropped on every climb. Guess I would take it back on the decents.

This may just happen.

An air shock would help to save weight also. HHHMMMMM?!?!?

Mtb & Bassoon player
    The Rogue pedals so good as the Moment... just a little bit havyer... but a lot of mor fun on the descents.... my experience...

Ciao.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think more travel always equals more fun. It likely won't handle as well as the Moment on slow, tight and/or twisty singletrack. But if you don't ride those type of trails often, you should go for it. I know it's very tempting to get the Rogue but you should consider the trails you ride to see if it's worth it or if you just have an emotional (rather than a logical) need to get a more DH oriented bike.

Outcast
    Jim,I realize it may be blasphemous to post this here, but there are a lot of nice used RFX's for sale these days.......

aka baycat

MTB SOCAL
    I have a Rogue and a Moment. Comparing the two, the Moment definitley climbs better and feels for comfortable on tight switchbacks probably due to the shorter wheelbase. My Moment is currently set up as a 6" trail bike and weighs about 31.5 lbs. My Rogue is set up with 8" rear and a 66 RC2X up front. It's pretty beefy at about 37-38 lbs. I think the older Rogues weigh more than the newer ones. For example, mine has a solid steel rear thruaxle that must weigh close to a pound by itself. But, having said that - I think a Rogue set at 7" and built up reasonably light 34-35 lbs would be a great trail bike as long as you don't mind hoofing the extra weight uphill. I'm actually trying to lighten up my Rogue by building a new wheelset, changing the crankset and stem, and going with single ply tires. Good luck with your build.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Jim,I realize it may be blasphemous to post this here, but there are a lot of nice used RFX's for sale these days.......
    My current employer would be upset if I didn't represent. Do love the RFX.

Perhaps down the line I could pick up a used one on the side. Have to keep it on the Down Low

VooDoo user.
    LowLow. There are quite a bit of tight twisties that I ride. I'm mainly doing it to try something different and to open the door to some resort riding as well. I have a SS/29er that I ride 50% of the time and handles most of the XC rides in the area with ease. Just thought that a Weight Weinie Rogue might be a fun bike for some of the other rides I hit. I'm pretty sure I can get one built around 32#'s easily. Lightish wheelset, Lighter tires, and perhaps an AIR shock all built around 7" of travel. Heck my moment wieghed nealy 35#'s at one time and I was able to peal that thing on 4-5 hour rides all the time. Lightest I ever got the moment was 33.33333#s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    LowLow. There are quite a bit of tight twisties that I ride. I'm mainly doing it to try something different and to open the door to some resort riding as well. I have a SS/29er that I ride 50% of the time and handles most of the XC rides in the area with ease. Just thought that a Weight Weinie Rogue might be a fun bike for some of the other rides I hit. I'm pretty sure I can get one built around 32#'s easily. Lightish wheelset, Lighter tires, and perhaps an AIR shock all built around 7" of travel. Heck my moment wieghed nealy 35#'s at one time and I was able to peal that thing on 4-5 hour rides all the time. Lightest I ever got the moment was 33.33333#s.
    Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you build up a 7-8 inch bike with super light wheels and other light parts. I think you should go for it and keep it about 35 ish and then get the epiph too. I love my moment so far but i do not buy into this one bike thing. it is always nice to mave more travel some days and less on others.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if you build up a 7-8 inch bike with super light wheels and other light parts. I think you should go for it and keep it about 35 ish and then get the epiph too. I love my moment so far but i do not buy into this one bike thing. it is always nice to mave more travel some days and less on others.
    I used to think the same way. A light build with 7-8" of travel is ridiculous. If you think about it though bikes like the Nomad @6.5" of travel and the Intense 6.6 with 6.75" of travel are being used for trail riding and built both light or burley. If an when Yeti comes out with the SEVEN you will see the another long travel trail bike. Perhaps a new trend is commin. Remember when 6" bikes were thought of as DH/FR rigs? I do.

I'm not saying this will be my only bike. It will just be another fun bike. I'll still rock the SS/29 and perhaps pick up something in between down the line.

mtbr member
    hello
    i start to build my rogue
    but i dont find the fork
    what do you think about the 36 van 2008 ?
    did some one truy it ?
    Ellsworth addict cince 16 years

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've had my rogue built for trail riding for about a year and a half now. I've had a multitude of different builds on it, and i my opinion the 7" setting works the best for trail riding. I ride a LOT, and this is my only bike, I've done everything from 5 mile 4000ft climbs to 40 mile death marches and even quite a bit resort riding. With my current build and my light wheelset- DT 240s hubs/supercomp spokes/flow rims, a DHX air and a 08 36 Talas it weighs in at 30.5lbs without pedals. If your a smaller guy I wouldn't shy away from an air shock, but personally, if I would go with a coil in the 7" setting. With it set up in 8" travel the HA was a bit too steep for me, with a 160mm fork the geo is very nice in 7" mode, HA 67, SA 73, BB 13.5.But to make a long story short, the rogue will work very well for a trail bike.

VooDoo user.
    SO here's a question. When You order a rogue, do you get to pick the shock or does it come standard with the 8"? Guess I'll find out on Monday when I call.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I went to test ride #2 with XC setup today. Eventhough the weather was bad,Rogue worked allright on slippery rocks. I just can`t wait for summer to come.
    Pics:http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1841166/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1841167/

MTB SOCAL
    Nice pics. Glad to hear the XC Rogue is working out. How many inches of travel are you running? It looks cold where you are riding (compared to mid 70's this week in LA). I'm still waiting on some parts to lighten up my Rogue.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rear shock:222x70mm Manitou Evolver ISX 4 spv
    Fork:140mm 32 Fox Talas RLC
    Steep HA (xc fork)works fine but finding balance between rearshock and fork is impossible without small change of riding style.Rogue works for my riding so i dont care what nightmeres suspension engineers might have.Btw.What upgrades you are going to have?

MTB SOCAL
    So far, I've changed from a RF Diabolus stem to a Hope 70mm stem and the RF Evolve DH crankset to a Gravity Light crankset. I'm currently building up a lighter wheelset with Hadley 32 hole hubs and Mavic XM819 rims. Hopefully, that'll get the bike to the 36lb range, which is very respectable for a 8" travel bike. Other than lighter single ply tires, I'm not sure if I'll change anything else.

I also have the older, solid steel 12mm thruaxle that weighs a ton. I'm currently looking at options for running a lighter, yet still durable axle.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had the older rear end on mine, I ended up getting the newer seat stays from Ellsworth, It gives you more options to work with. With the old rear end, I made some bolts for my king hub. I got some 12mm grade 8 bolts and cut them down to a good length, cut the threads, and then i had a machine shop drill out the centers, they ended up being a light alternative to the heavy stock axle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast