Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rogue sizing

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Arm@ndo 
#1 ·
I was looking at the Ells website and they list two frame sizes for the Rogue - Small and Large. The toptube for the small is 23.5 in and for the large 24.5 in. I usually ride a 18 in seat-tube / 23 in top tube bike. According the the Ells site, I should be on a large Rogue. I was just wondering from Rogue owners how they fit on their Rogues. I'm 5'10". Thanks.

#2 ·
I think you should buy the smallest one. ;)

#5 ·
Okay, I'm going to be the lone dissenter. The way Ells come up with the Rogue top tube measurement is a bit different. For the longest time I was sure I had been sent a small because when measuring midway from the head tube to midway on the seat tube I came up with a measurement of 23.5" - this paralled how I came up with a top tube measurement for my Joker. Johnny at Moab Cycles showed me how Ells reaches the 24.5" measurement: by measuring the entire length of the sloping top tube. Because the top tube slopes so much, you get a full extra inch measuring this way. So, if you are use to a measurement derived from a head tube to seat tube measurement, I think the large is going to be closer to what you are looking for. BTW, I am 5'11".

#6 ·
powfiend said:
Okay, I'm going to be the lone dissenter. The way Ells come up with the Rogue top tube measurement is a bit different. For the longest time I was sure I had been sent a small because when measuring midway from the head tube to midway on the seat tube I came up with a measurement of 23.5" - this paralled how I came up with a top tube measurement for my Joker. Johnny at Moab Cycles showed me how Ells reaches the 24.5" measurement: by measuring the entire length of the sloping top tube. Because the top tube slopes so much, you get a full extra inch measuring this way. So, if you are use to a measurement derived from a head tube to seat tube measurement, I think the large is going to be closer to what you are looking for. BTW, I am 5'11".
Seems counter to the Pythagorean Theorem that the hypotenuse could be shorter than any of the two sides, but we're probably not talking right triangles here, i.e., the seattube and seatpost probably don't make a 90 degree angle.

#7 ·
According to the Ells website, the Rogue's top tube measurement is actually the horizontal (or virtual top tube) measurement. But, who knows. I ended up picking up a large frame because I got a good deal on one. It should be here in a few days and I'll measure it. Looking forward building and riding it. Thanks for the replies.

#9 ·
I truly believe that sizing and set up of frames really varies within every rider's weight/height, ability and application.
But overall, you should be pretty stoked on the Large at 5'10"...

I'm about 6'4" - 170lbs and I trailride the hell outta one of my E frames. Its just set up slightly different than the one set up for Whistler only.

Shoot a pic over when you get it set up and on the trail !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.