Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mtb & Bassoon player
    Very very nice with the Marzocchi!!!
    Be happy!!!

MTB SOCAL

New wheels

I got my new wheelset for the Rogue to replace the Azonic Outlaws. The new wheels are Hadley 36 hole hubs laced to Mavic 823 rims with straight gauge spokes. They are beefy. I think they actually weigh more than the Azonics. The bike is 38.5 lbs currently with single ply 2.3 Minion DHF/DHR tires. If I go to 2.5 DH tires, it'll probably be pushing 40 lbs. I'll try to get some new pics with the wheels mounted.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Update : Rock Shock Totem and Hope Moto 6 :

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quick question

I got my rogue last year. Building it up again with a lighter build this year (post soon to follow).
    The 12mm axle that came with the bike is quite heavy. Do any of you know of a lighter axle that can be used. When I first saw the bolt I was quite disappointed, it definately doesn't follow the quality of the rest bike.

Alex

Spanish Marathon Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDH
    Quick question

I got my rogue last year. Building it up again with a lighter build this year (post soon to follow).
    The 12mm axle that came with the bike is quite heavy. Do any of you know of a lighter axle that can be used. When I first saw the bolt I was quite disappointed, it definately doesn't follow the quality of the rest bike.

Alex
    what about a titanium axle?
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

El Malo

2 Questions...

I don't own a Rogue but would like to have any of you who own one that has a F-derailleur and also a Marzocchi 66 answer a couple of questions.

1- What kind of front derailleur are you using on your Rogue and have you noticed any contact interference between said derailleur and the chainstay when going through all the rear wheel travel ?

2- Have you tried to do a X-up or a bar spin on your Rogue and found that the 66 hits the downtube and prevents you from fully turning the bar ?

thx in advance...
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

MTB SOCAL

No problems for me

1. I'm running a SRAM X-GEN front derailleur on my Rogue. I haven't noticed any issues with the chainstay and derailleur, but I will check for it next time I ride.

2. My 66 RC2X doesn't hit against the downtube (even though I don't do X-ups and bar spins).
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quick questions...I'm trying to decide if I need this bike.

Does the 8" setting with a fork like a 66 (555mm A-C length) or a Totem really have a 14" (355mm) BB? Ellsworth says it's 14.75" with a Fox 40 (570mm). I climb large rock ledges all day long to get to a descent.

Also, what size tires can you really fit in the frame?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just checked : with a Totem and 8" my BB height is 350 mm.

I'm running 2.35 Kenda Nevegal but you can easily fit the 2.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks,

Ellsworth has always built fairly high BB bikes. My ID is 395mm, 15.5". I'm surprised to hear they are trending the other way with the Rogue. Also, I'm a little surprised to hear you're still running 2.35" tires on an 8" travel bike. Myself and friends all run 2.5-2.7 tires on bikes like this.

I think my bike decision will need to wait more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    I'm running 2.35 because I live in the North of france, and we need traction to join our FR/DH spots here. Unfortunatly I'm only 2 weeks a year in the Alps !
    Anyway my next ones will be the 2.50 Nevegal.

The low BB on the Rogue bring an amazing stability to the bike.

MTB SOCAL

Will check

My Rogue is in the bike shop currently getting some brake work done. But, I should have it back today or tomorrow. I'll check the BB height. I'm running 2.35 tires now, but I'm pretty sure you can go plenty big, if you want. The bike is awesome.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL
    I checked on my Rogue. The bottom bracket is about 14 3/8". I'm currently running 2.35 tires, but there looks like there is plenty of room to run at least 2.6 or 2.7 rubber. Maybe even 3.0. I hope that helps.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL

New wheels / brakes for Rogue

I finally got some pics with the new wheels. I also added Hope M4 brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the detailed info. Looks like the new 66 raises things a bit. I like that. The bike looks awesome. I love my Hadley hubs, but red sure looks good. 38.5 lbs isn't bad, but I'd like to build it to about 35 for more trail riding. I wonder what it would take while keeping the BB about the same.

Looks like I'll have a little more time to think on this. I need to sell my motorcycle first.

mtbr member
    Hi Yangpei,

Nice ride!

I'm after a Rogue at the moment for when I go out for some more aggressive riding than my 5-Spot can handle and for use in the French Alp's once a year for technical single track and the odd DH course. I'm over in the UK so a light, fairly compact rig is what I'm after - we don't have the pleasure of uplifts so any ride has to pedal well on the up's :-(

I'm STILL trying to decide which size of frame to buy. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 180lb's but like a bike to feel a little 'upright' rather than stretched out and also like a bike to be as 'agile' as possible. I currently ride a medium sized SC Bullit for aggressive trails but this is just a tad too short in the top tube (22.5") and the BB height feels a little tall also. I like low BB's to rip the turns and feel stable on the trials.

I'm leaning towards the small size Rogue as the numbers from Ellsworth seem to fit what I'm after but every time I look at these forum's guy's around my height are running the large sized frames? They just look waaaaaay to long in the top tube and wheel base to me, for a 'quick handling' bike that can be thrown around, jumped etc. I'm sure they are super stable on fast downhills. What is your experience after riding the Rogue for a while?

Could you please measure your wheel base with the Marzocchi's fitted? and perhaps a measurement from the centre of the steerer tube, horizontally back to inline with the seat tube centre?

The nearest store which stocks Ellsworth frames is a long distance from me so a test ride is not an option unfortunately.

Many thanks,

M.

MTB SOCAL
    Hello,
    I also prefer to be a little more upright in the saddle, rather than stretched out. I'm 5'10" and I definitely do not feel stretched on the Rogue. If anything, it feels pretty upright. But, I am running a shortish (70mm) Diabolus stem and Thomson straight seatpost. From the top of the headtube / headset interface measuring horizontally to the seatpost center was 24" even (I think the Ells site says 24.5). The wheelbase with the 66 RC2X is a tad over 47" (maybe 47 1/8 in).
    I love the way the bike feels. It can definitely be built up lighter, and you should be able to build a 35-36lb long travel bike. My brother (same height) has a small Rogue running at 7 in travel with a 66 on front. Another friend (approx 6ft tall) also runs a small Rogue, which he enjoys throwing around. I guess the bottom line is the type of riding you do. If you have tight single track like you mentioned, you may be more comfortable with the small size's shorter wheelbase. But, I don't think you will feel strecthed out on either. If you get the small, you may even want a lay-back post or post with some set-back.
    I hope that helps.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Thanks buddy.
    I reckon the small Ellsworth will be more suited to my needs. My large 5-spot is great for aggressive CC riding and that has an effective top tube length of approx. 24 " with a 70mm stem so the small Rogue sounds like a 'tighter' rig for throwing around ;-)

M.

MTB SOCAL

Red Doo Dads

Black on black was getting dreary, so I added some red accents - in addition to the previous red Hadley hubs. I got red brake covers from Hope, a red King headset with King spacers, and ODI red lock-on grip ends.
    Kokopelli Racing

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    Black on black was getting dreary, so I added some red accents - in addition to the previous red Hadley hubs. I got red brake covers from Hope, a red King headset with King spacers, and ODI red lock-on grip ends.
    You might be better off taking the King back and getting a red Hope headset instead. The Kings have a tendancy to creak and pop under the strain of long travel forks. Mine has destroyed two star nuts and one Head Doctor (it's working on it's third star nut ). A lot of folks with long travel forks like Lyriks, 66s and 36s have had to change. Since yours in new, you might be able to trade. It has to do with the spacer on the top set of bearings not fitting tight enough to withstand the forces of a long lever arm.

If Hope made a pink headset, I'd be all over it...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You realize that Hope headsets are NOT for sale in the US or Canada as they violate patent laws in the Americas. Hope explicitly states they are not for sale outside the UK. I know you can get them if you try, but no Hope dealer can or will give you parts. Unless they want a huge lawsuit.

I have never had a problem with Raceface, other than replacing the bearings, and the Chris King I have now is awesome. I will never get another. I do have Hope M6 brakes, have used their hubs many times and feel they are the best for the money, but on the headsets you are asking for a headache.

Their ring doctors are nice, but if you can show me a headset I would love to see it given it is illegal here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I changed my King for an Acros deep cup :

http://www.acros.de/acros/02_product...d/13_AH-07.php

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    You realize that Hope headsets are NOT for sale in the US or Canada as they violate patent laws in the Americas. Hope explicitly states they are not for sale outside the UK. I know you can get them if you try, but no Hope dealer can or will give you parts. Unless they want a huge lawsuit.

I have never had a problem with Raceface, other than replacing the bearings, and the Chris King I have now is awesome. I will never get another. I do have Hope M6 brakes, have used their hubs many times and feel they are the best for the money, but on the headsets you are asking for a headache.

Their ring doctors are nice, but if you can show me a headset I would love to see it given it is illegal here.
    Not true...this issue has been resolved. My LBS has them in stock. I'm not sure about Canada however; they may not be avail. there.

Contact Larry at http://mtnhighcyclery.com if you're intrested in one.. They look really sweet and they come with a Head Doctor supplied to replace the starnut.

Got Rogued!

Here is my pink Rogue...

Light setup…
    * Rider height, weight, ride style: XC, endurance,trail, freeride - 5'7", 160lbs
    * Frame, Size, & Color: Small (Short) Think Pink
    * Fork: Magura Wotan, 120-160mm
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Magura Hugin, 8,75 X 2,5
    * Brakes: Magura Louise BAT, 200/180mm
    * Cranks: Race Face Diabolus, 22-32-Bash
    * Shifters: Shimano LX
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Short cage
    * Pedals: Shimano 646
    * Stem: Race Face Diabolus 70mm X 10°
    * Handlebar: Race Face Diabolus
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm
    * Saddle: SDG Bel-air Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face FR/DH
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-950
    * Chain: SRAM PG-990 Hollow pin
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: Race Face ODI
    * Front Tire: Continental Vertical UST 2.3
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic XC 717 Disc/DT swiss Competition/alloy nipples
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hpoe PRO II/Maxle QR
    * Rear Tire: Continental Vertical UST 2.3
    * Rear Rim: Mavic XC 717 Disc/DT swiss Competition/alloy nipples
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King ISO/SRAM QR
    * Cables: Jagwire RIPCORD
    * Misc: Rollamagig for sleek shifting
    * Overall Weight: +/- 32lbs

Dh setup…
    * Rider height, weight, ride: Anything that goes down… 5'7", 160lbs
    * Frame, Size, & Color: Small (Short) Think Pink
    * Fork: Manitou X-Vert Carbon, 180mm
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Fox DHX 5.0, 8,75 X 2,75
    * Brakes: Magura Louise BAT, 200/180mm Ventidisc
    * Cranks: Race Face Diabolus, 22-32-Bash
    * Shifters: Shimano LX
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Short cage
    * Pedals: Shimano 646
    * Stem: Race Face Diabolus 50mm X 10°
    * Handlebar: Race Face Diabolus
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm
    * Saddle: SDG Bel-air Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face FR/DH
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-950
    * Chain: SRAM PG-990 Hollow pin
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: Race Face ODI
    * Front Tire: Michelin Comp 16, 2.5”
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic EX 823 Disc/DT swiss Champion/brass nipples
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Chris King ISO 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Michelin Comp 16, 2.5”
    * Rear Rim: Mavic EX 823 Disc/DT swiss Champion/brass nipples
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King ISO/SRAM QR
    * Cables: Jagwire RIPCORD
    * Misc: Rollamagig for sleek shifting
    * Overall Weight: +/- 37-38lbs

Pics.: In an in-between state...
    Ellsworth Moment / Ellsworth Rogue / Rocky Mountain Vertex / KHS SS

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1828472/
    Frankenbike version of Rogue ,not ready so no details except those seen on photo.
    weight:14,7 kg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast