mtbr member

Rogue rear axle sizes? Educate an Ellsworth newbie.

So I'm looking through the 2006 Ellsworth catalogue and I notice that the Rogue frame has options for a 10mm, 12mm, or standard Q/R rear axle? I'm at a loss. Granted, I'm more of a X-country rider, than a freerider but I had no idea there were anything other than Q/R rear axles out there. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of these options?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter
    So I'm looking through the 2006 Ellsworth catalogue and I notice that the Rogue frame has options for a 10mm, 12mm, or standard Q/R rear axle? I'm at a loss. Granted, I'm more of a X-country rider, than a freerider but I had no idea there were anything other than Q/R rear axles out there. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of these options?
    Stiffness, brother!

The 10mm vs 12mm axles, I'm guessing, are just different standards offered by different hub manufacturers, so one may not have a particular advantage over the other. So depending on the hub you buy, say like Hope (10mm), the frame is capable of accepting that type of axle in the rear dropouts.

There is also a difference in spacing on some FR/DH bikes with the 150mm/130mm spacing to add additional stiffness, so you'd need to make sure that you get the correct length axle for that particular frame. I don't know what the Rogue has.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi Toecutter,
    My Rogue came with a 20mm bolt-on axle with a step down adapter for a 12mm bolt on axle. later this year Ellsworth will supply the frame with a 20mm bolt-on axle with a step down adapter for the 12MM & 10MM bolt-on axle and STD QR adapter. i think that you should contact Ellsworth to verify if they have the step down adapter for the 10MM bolt-on axle and STD QR.
    The advantage of 12MM bolt-on axle is Stiffness. i'm using a 135mm Hadley rear hub, with 12mm bolt-on axle. the disadvantage, if you got a flat tire you need tools to open the bolt.
    Lior
    Last edited by LiorDrZ; 09-21-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Custom User Title
    Kinda the same but different.

I have the 10mm bolt on rear hub for my Moment. The biggest advantage is, as Chad said, Stiffness brother!

I do have a Dare with the through axle and I don't think I would want to run a QR on a bike designed for DH and FR. On my Moment I was having problems with the rear wheel moving around in the dropout. I could only imagine what it would be like with the Dare/Rouge having a QR on it, for me anyways.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member

Ahhh....the light bulb has come on.

Thanks for your input and responses guys. I see the freeride world offers all kind of new toy and gadget options that a weight weenie like me has yet to learn about.

Time is not a road.
    Thanks for your input and responses guys. I see the freeride world offers all kind of new toy and gadget options that a weight weenie like me has yet to learn about.
    Wait until you discover chain guides and bashguards!

Custom User Title
    Double walled rims.............

Downhill cased tires...........
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    Double walled rims.............

Downhill cased tires...........
    DISC BRAKES!

El Malo
    One thing I noticed is the fact that the new Rogue, and believe the '04/'05 Dare came with a steel bolt straight out of the hardware store whereas the older '02 Dare came with a much lighter and nicer Aluminium axle that I wanna say is 15mm.

I have both sets of axle and reducers, the weight difference is insane.

It's definitely nice to have the beefy thru-axle on Hadleys, and certainly worth the extra 5mins it takes to unscrew the axle... it could be worse, like taking the rear wheel off on a Demo9
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hadley axle/adapter set

Hadley sells a nice alloy 12mm axle with the adapters for anyone with the 20mm set up for about 40.00 dollars. They may also have 20 mm to 10 mm but I had 12 mm hubs so that is all I asked about.

This is what Ellsworthy should have shipped the frames with in place of the heavy bolt from the hardware store. With the stock set up you need two big wrenches to get the wheel off. With the Hadley set up one of the adapters is threaded and the axle has an allen head so not only is it lighter but much easier on the trail to get the wheel off for repairs.

Hadley was nice to deal with, called and they shipped it in a week or so.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrr
    Hadley sells a nice alloy 12mm axle with the adapters for anyone with the 20mm set up for about 40.00 dollars. They may also have 20 mm to 10 mm but I had 12 mm hubs so that is all I asked about.

This is what Ellsworthy should have shipped the frames with in place of the heavy bolt from the hardware store. With the stock set up you need two big wrenches to get the wheel off. With the Hadley set up one of the adapters is threaded and the axle has an allen head so not only is it lighter but much easier on the trail to get the wheel off for repairs.

Hadley was nice to deal with, called and they shipped it in a week or so.

J
    mtnbkrr,
    Do you have a link to the Hadley adapter?
    Lior

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lior, no link I called Hadley to get an alloy axle and was going to make my own reducer bushings thats when I found out they had a set for the Ellsworth 20mm dropout.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    mtnbkrr,
    Thanks, I will call Hadley importer in my country and try to get it.
    Lior