Thread: Rogue questions

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Rogue questions

Does anyone who has one know the weight of the frame or frame with rear shock? I can't seem to find any consistent numbers. Also, has anyone had any flexing or breakage problems using their bikes as FR or DH rigs? I see that Ellsworth's site says the bike is AM/FR, so is it just a long legged AM bike that shouldn't really be pushed or hucked? I was thinking about one with a Totem and an Avalanche shock. Do people run theirs with the 8.5x2.5 or 8.75x2.75 shock configuration? Anyone with input or feedback from their experiences would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

capable!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    Does anyone who has one know the weight of the frame or frame with rear shock? I can't seem to find any consistent numbers. Also, has anyone had any flexing or breakage problems using their bikes as FR or DH rigs? I see that Ellsworth's site says the bike is AM/FR, so is it just a long legged AM bike that shouldn't really be pushed or hucked? I was thinking about one with a Totem and an Avalanche shock. Do people run theirs with the 8.5x2.5 or 8.75x2.75 shock configuration? Anyone with input or feedback from their experiences would be appreciated.

Don't know the weight.
    I know of two guys who have been using it for freeride and downhill, and I have seen them consistently hitting 10-15 footers to tranny and 5-7 flat landings, so far no problems with either of those. They run them with a Fox 40 for downhill and heavy freeride and with a 36 vanilla for a lighter duty freeride.
    Not sure about the shock configuration, but I know both have it at 8 inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Rogue is totally capable! Just cause there are not gussets everywhere does not make it less capable then others. The frame is stiff, stiff, stiff. Able to huck whatever you like. It just means that Ellsworth did it right. Go ride one and you'll see. I was able to demo one and I was very impressed. It is a bummer that you have to Buy a new fork to change travel, but who really is going to set it up with less then 8 inches. Sweet bike. Give it a try. I would possibly run it with a new Marz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    I'm running one with 8.5 x 2.75.
    I just sold my 36 Van for a Totem Solo air. (I'll get it next week).
    I weight 220 Lbs and I'm using the Rogue only for jumps and Dh, I'm not very technical and don't have a smooth ride.
    My upgrade with the new fork will be a deep cups headset since it is recommended by Dave at Ells.
    It is amazing to see what that bike can endure proportionnally to the look of its tubes.
    I strongly believe that all the strength and stiffness are in tubes quality and welding.
    I also notice that 2007 manufacturers are also reducing their frame weight (Banshee, Orange, etc,etc...).
    I was seeking for frame weight and I found an average of 8.04 Lbs to 9.5 Lbs, which is, at the end, a good one for FR bikes, a bit lighter but undoubtedly it is what you are paying for.

Here is one French guy abusing his Rogue, he's also practicing slopestyle :

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2...ntpeul36op.jpg
    http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9...ntpeul28co.jpg
    http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/87/montpeul19np.jpg
    Last edited by Septentrion; 11-15-2006 at 03:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi,
    thanks for the info. Let me know how you like the bike with that Totem. Can you give me a weight on your frame by any chance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

next bike

I think my next bike may be a Rogue with a Totem and a DHX air in the rear. Does anyone have one set up this way now? I think this may make a really sweet aggressive trail FR bike? And not weigh a ton. 7 inches of travel all around, and it can still pedal

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I talked to a tech at Ellsworth and he said that just about everyone rides the bike in the 8" travel set up.

mtbr member
    May 2006

No Probs!

Hi
    My Rogue is built up with Boxxer Teams, twin-ring + bash and DRS. Sun rims etc and weighs-in at 37lbs. It's very stiff and really inspires confidence - well pleased with it!
    I weigh 14stone fully kitted and use a 450x2.80 spring (2.75inch stroke). Nice and soft initially, with the shock bottom-out dialed in to ramp-up for the bigger stuff. It only needs a click or two of pro-pedal (if that).
    It's like landing on a sofa off drops, and, being ICT, pedals very well.

Photo on the Set-up link (stick link above)

cheers

Time is not a road.
    The Rogue seems to be a European phenomenon...

What do y'all think? OK for Freeriding, or better for DH? Or both?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not done an out-and-out DH course on it yet. There are only a few uplift days on at present, and the weather's getting a bit unpredictable (to say the least).

The Rogue is great on the downhills I do as part of my normal rides, much better than previous bikes. I suspect it's design will suit the freeride pigeon hole rather than the DH. But they are just labels anyway. My riding is basically lots of downhills linked by fairly interesting routes to the top of the next and for that the Rogue is great.

The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit
    I think my next bike may be a Rogue with a Totem and a DHX air in the rear. Does anyone have one set up this way now? I think this may make a really sweet aggressive trail FR bike? And not weigh a ton. 7 inches of travel all around, and it can still pedal

I had hopes of doing the same thing last winter when I was shopping for a new bike. However, the DHX Air is not approved for use on the Rogue. This was the word from my LBS, who heard it from Fox. I'm thinking it has something to do with the shock having to be mounted upside down and not having enough clearance on the downtube.

I have also yet to hear of anyone running in 7 inch mode. Ellsworth is not selling them this way, I've not heard of anyone making the conversion. I'd like to though, I'm curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I confirm, the DHX air is not available for the Rogue, just put a Ti spring for weight saving !

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

No predictable rant?

So we are just awaiting Blackfly's informed input now?

"Its All Good"
    I would put a Ti spring in, not only for the weight saving, but the compression action of a Ti spring is way better than a steel spring... All the tech guys can probly word that better than me, but I was well stoked with the action of my Ti spring I had.................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Small Rogue 9.5 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    Hi,
    thanks for the info. Let me know how you like the bike with that Totem. Can you give me a weight on your frame by any chance?
    I just weighed a small rogue w/ a dhx coil shock and it weight 9.5 lbs.

Good luck
    Auk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aukmal

Good luck
    Auk
    Thanks Auk, that's really helpful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aukmal

Good luck
    Auk
    That`s pretty ok actually. I thought it would be well over 11 lbs. But then i would be looking at a Medium. Wait, that Reign X looks pretty nice...
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se