Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rogue with Angleset headset.

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  lankymanc 
#1 ·
I bought an angleset headset designed for standard 1 1/8th steerer tubes from www.ofanaim.net. I thought you might all appreciate a little review,

It cost $200 and arrived promptly within a week of ordering.

Quality looks reasonable, it is actually made by Tange Seiki in Japan. a manufacturer I had at least heard of.

Fitting it was a right faff. It was quite difficult to get the little alignment marks in line and at the centre line of the headset. It took three attempts to fit using a headset press tool.

However once aligned it feels smooth and tight.

Now for the science bit -

Before it was fitted I measured the head angle using a phone app and the bb height.

The HA was hovering between 65 and 66 degrees. I have a Rockshox totem up front and a maxxis minion F tyre and a fox dhx 5 8.5 x 2.5 (giving 185mm travel) and a minion rear tyre.

As the indication was hovering between 65 and 66 degrees but settling more on 66, I am estimating that the head angle is between 65.7 and 66 degrees. I shall call that 65.8.

The BB height was just over 14 inches. 14.1 inches.

Post fitting
The head angle is now hovering between 64 and 65 but settling more on 64, so I am estimating that at between 64.5 and 64.7 degrees, call it 64.6 degrees and the BB is dead on 13.5 inches.

The seller said the angles would be reduced by 1.3 degrees, so that appears to be pretty accurate.

All in all I am pretty pleased so far. The angles are nice and slack and reasonably low with out going to full on world cup DH slack geometry. Somewhere between world cup DH angles and Enduro DH angles. pretty much perfect for trips to the ski resort bike parks.

I will let you know how it rides over the next few weeks and report on the longevity in time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Had my first little ride with the new headset fitted. Just a short little downhill near my home, not very long or very rough.

The thing I noticed straight away was err nothing. I didn't notice any discernable difference at all.

I shall try it somewhere that has longer, faster and more technical runs

#4 ·
The seller also said that tange seiki manufacturer cane creek headsets. and quality is on par.
and quote
"The changes of angles have a more pronounced effect on the ride when going from xc angles to AM angles" with DH angles it would be considered more "fine tuning"

#6 ·
Thanks Boone

There are lots of photo's on the offanaim website. I didn't take photos during the installation but I can take a photo of the completed bike.

The cornering improvement is exactly what I am after ,plus a little more stability at speed and more ability on steep sections.

I hope to test the bike on some proper downhills as soon as the rain stops !!!! I don't want to get a wrong impression by testing it in the mud.

#7 ·
Finaly the sun came out so I took the Rogue to a local trail centre that has some good technical descents (stainburn) .

I am pleased to say there is a definate improvement in cornering and stabilty. It really is noticable once you get the speed up.

Stainburn has some good fast turns at the top and lots of small drops and jumps as well as stone pitches and boulders. look on youtube for vids.

The slacker rogue felt really good on the fast and technical terrain. a noticable improvement in every way.

I am definately happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

it is a good way of modernising the geometry at a reasonable price.

#9 ·
Hi Lidarman. The BB now sits at 13.5 inches static. I am running a shorter shock 8.5 x 2.5 too so the BB before the angleset was fitted was around 14 inches. (about 14.1 inch).

This is pretty much in keeping with expected stats,. the difference in the eye to eye of the shock slackening the bike by about a degree and about just over half an inch and the angleset slackening the bike by about a degree and just over half an inch. The BB with the 8.75 x 2.75 shock is about 14.75 listed, although I never measured it.

The low BB felt great, especially in the corners and I did not get excessive pedal strikes.

One more interesting find was that I ran the bike with the same spring but was getting more sag, presumably because my weight is angled back slightly.#

I have fitted a stifer sping now to ensure the correct sag.

#12 ·
Glad to hear you like it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nsynk said:
Finaly the sun came out so I took the Rogue to a local trail centre that has some good technical descents (stainburn) .

I am pleased to say there is a definate improvement in cornering and stabilty. It really is noticable once you get the speed up.

Stainburn has some good fast turns at the top and lots of small drops and jumps as well as stone pitches and boulders. look on youtube for vids.

The slacker rogue felt really good on the fast and technical terrain. a noticable improvement in every way.

I am definately happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

it is a good way of modernising the geometry at a reasonable price.

#14 ·
Works components

Hi
Fitted a works components 1-degree headset to my Rogue, already has 8.5" shock so now low and slack.
Really good ride, can't belive Ellsworth didn't just slacken the geom, fit a tapered headtube and a 30.9 seatpost/ tube rather than totally ditching the Rogue for a very short looking Method.
I'm sticking with my Rogue!
Ade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.