mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Replacement shock for older Joker

I am getting back into riding after being out for a few years. I have an older (I think model year 2000, before they went to 7 inches) Joker frame sitting around that I want to build up. The problem is the fox shock that came with it is pretty dead and i want to get something new. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement shock that will fit this older frame? Looking to do light freeriding with some smaller drops and so forth.

Thanks.

Time is not a road.
    You need to know the shock size before you order, just to make sure you're getting the right one. If your bike can handle a shock with a reservoir, a Vanilla, DHX or Roco TST would be good upgrade; the compression settings of modern shocks will complement the ride of your older design.

If you do buy Fox, I'd buy direct from http://pushindustries.com and get it custom tuned right out the box just to save yourself from doing it later...

Jii
    mtbr member
    I'm 99,9% sure that you can't fit a piggyback-style shock on that frame. Well, maybe an old Vanilla RC, but you'd have to try it before you buy, so it gets quite complicated.

If I were you, I'd get a Manitou Swinger 3-way, a Romic Twintube or a Fox Vanilla R for cheap. But as previously stated, you need to know the eye-to-eye length of the shock and the stroke before you start shopping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

After looking into it a little more on this site, I think I am going to send the Vanilla RC that's on the bike now off to Push for the rebuild and upgrade. People hear seem to rave about how well that turns out for them and is cheaper than any other option ($205 for the rebuild and custom compression stuff). Plus I already know it fits.

I'll let ya know how it works out. Thanks.

Master of None
    I have the 7" Joker frame and I just put on a PUSH'd Vanilla RC. It's great! Much better than the Swinger 3-way. The ProPedal works a lot better than the SPV - less bob and more small bump sensitivity. I'm very pleased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I also have an 05 Joker and I am running the manitou 3 way which is ok but I think the best set up would probably be either the older fox rc if you can find one and get it done up by push industries or I just ordered up a avalanche montie shock for mine. I think that it will be a plusher ride in all but it doesn't have compression adjustment though. I think that the joker frame in particular is a good pedaling bike anyway though so I am going to give this shock a shot. I will have to let everyone know how it goes.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I have the 7" Joker frame and I just put on a PUSH'd Vanilla RC. It's great! Much better than the Swinger 3-way. The ProPedal works a lot better than the SPV - less bob and more small bump sensitivity. I'm very pleased.

Hey a friend of mine owns a 7" travel Joker and would like to get a Vanilla RC and get the PUSH mods too ! What is the correct eye to eye length and stroke for a Vanilla RC on the Joker 7 ? Do you happen to know were he can get the correct size Vanilla RC or are they hard to come by ? Man I know he'd appreciate the info , thanks ! He is using a Romic right now which I think is 8.5 " i to i ! TIG.

Master of None
    The Vanilla RC that I used is a 8.5 x 2.5. I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more but they turn up used from time to time. I bought mine on eBay.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    The Vanilla RC that I used is a 8.5 x 2.5. I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more but they turn up used from time to time. I bought mine on eBay.

Yeah, thanks for the info ! I use a PUSHed RC on one of my bikes as well and really like it ! TIG.