Some gear, some idea
    Feb 2005

Replacement shock for Moment - RP23 or DHX Air?

I'm not happy with my Talas shock - never get full travel, blow through mid range - , and want to get the full 6" travel now I've got 66SL's on the front. I do mainly technical XC in the English lakes, with max 3' drops. I'm finding the bike heavy enough at 33lbs, so don't want to add too much weight. Is the DHX air worth the extra weight and complexity? What stroke would I need for an RP23? Would a Pushed 23 be the best bet? Appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I just removed my Romic coil and installed a Fox RP23 (7.875 with 2.25 travel).

I also replaced the AM1 with a Fox 32 w140 mm travel.

With the fork you have, I think you should go with a coil shock.

My Romic with new never installed Moment bushings and your choice of 600 ln or 500 ln spring is available for 175.00.

The coil is plusher and probably better for big hits, but the combination of the Float 140 and RP23 have dropped about 2.75 lbs and made a quicker(easier) pedling Moment.

VooDoo user.
    I say have Push rework your DHX coil.

Time is not a road.
    I'd like to try a Roco Air, but I've got no first hand info on it. I run an RP23 and it's nice for trail riding. The DHX air might be better for more DH type of riding and Freeriding, whatever you think that it. A Push'd DHX would be rocking, too.

Some gear, some idea
    Feb 2005

Rp23

Does the RP23 give the full 6" travel. What stroke do you have to give that?

Time is not a road.
    Yes...2.25 on that. I can even run it right side up!

[SIZE="1"]stupid air valve...[/SIZE]

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by UKbikenerd
    I'm not happy with my Talas shock - never get full travel, blow through mid range - , and want to get the full 6" travel now I've got 66SL's on the front. I do mainly technical XC in the English lakes, with max 3' drops. I'm finding the bike heavy enough at 33lbs, so don't want to add too much weight. Is the DHX air worth the extra weight and complexity? What stroke would I need for an RP23? Would a Pushed 23 be the best bet? Appreciate your help.
    I second the Pushed DHX recommendations!

Also keep in mind, the DHXa is not that light. It is essentially the DHXc without the coil. And IMHO, the RP3/RP23 performs much better that the DHXa.

So if you really want to save weight, get the RP23 as it's only about 200g. That'll give you about a 550g savings over the DHXc and better performance. Of course, a Pushed RP23 would also be nice.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Some gear, some idea
    Feb 2005

RP23 vs DHXa

Hear what you're saying. But if RP23 performs better than DHXa, and weighs less, why would anyone go for a DHXa at this stroke length?

Time is not a road.
    Big huck ability - you got the bottom out boost to give it more progressivity. On fast hits and drops the RP can get overwhelmed and spikey, in my experience. The DHX air would be better for shuttle runs and such.

Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005
    I am trying to make this same choice : ( Will the RP23 handle 4 or 5 foot drops? I do alot of trail riding but dont like to get off just because there may be a jump or drop. The DHX coil is to heavy

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrose
    I am trying to make this same choice : ( Will the RP23 handle 4 or 5 foot drops? I do alot of trail riding but dont like to get off just because there may be a jump or drop. The DHX coil is to heavy

Probably depends on how smooth you are (your technique), how heavy you are, type of landing (transition v. tranny) etc.. El Chingon has taken it off some 4-5foot drops on an RFX with no problems.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005

Thanks

I'm 158 lbs so I guess the DHX air would have been over kill

VooDoo user.
    I think it all depends on how you set up the dhx-a.

Some gear, some idea
    Feb 2005
    Anyone have any experience of the Roco Air on the Moment?

Some gear, some idea
    Feb 2005

So now I have the money... CCDB, Avy or pushed DHX5?

Its time to decide - which is jolly hard when you can't try any of them.... has anyone got experience of riding any two or ideally all of these on a Moment? Hearsay is not really interesting - doesn't add anything to my own ignorance!

I've ruled out Roco, because feedback from one of the UK's top shock tuners is that service support is very poor at the moment. He also feels that TST spoils the performance of the coil Roco, and WC is too long. Note also that Windwave aren't importing the TST air into the UK this year - so there's no point in looking.

Ruled out pushed RP23, because its got to be downhill plush, over uphill light

I see on the Avy website that they recommend changing oil and nitrogen every 60 hrs or 6 months. Is this a serious recommendation? Is there anywhere you can get this done in the UK?

I want small bump compliance above all, good on rocky stuff next, little bobbing last.ck appreciated.

Your feedba

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-rp3_W0QQitem...QQcmdZViewItem

High Volume , factory tuned at low rebound with the correct amount of stroke to get you a full six inches . Only thing needed would be a gonzo valve, PUSH tuning would be icing on the cake .