mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Removng Brake Bosses - Revisited

A few months back I had asked about removing the break bosses (cutting them off).

Tony Ellsworth replied...
    "You can cut (hack saw), file, polish them off if you want—it will be tedious, and you better feel like a dentist when you do it! Unofficially speaking, if you had a failure AT THAT spot--yea, it wouldn't be warranted, as it would be assumed that the heat or somehow the alteration of the shock stay weakened it--which is possible. It wouldn’t unreasonably affect the warranty of the frame though. Bottom line, it can be done, without negatively affecting the part--just don't get it too hot. Do it by hand--it will take many episodes of Star Trek reruns… The finish will not be the same."

I took the plunge and Tony's advice. I hack sawed (blade only with gloves), then filed (3 grades) finally emery papered (320). It took me a few hours over several days but I got ONE off. The finish is a bit different but hardly noticeable. I tried to upload the file so you can see it. I rode it last week and it didn't explode. I'm confident it won't be a problem. Now I have to get the other one off. -Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jm.
    mtbr member
    well...if anything you can try and pass it off as a disc-stay when it fails...maybe the guys at ellsworth won't figure it out....

sounds like bad idea jeans to me (from the warrenty standpoint)...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

Good job!

looks good Bill I'm sure it'll be fine... my buddy did his on a Joker before he sold it and it's all good up to this day
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah, thanks. I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    looks good Bill I'm sure it'll be fine... my buddy did his on a Joker before he sold it and it's all good up to this day

The welds are so excellently done, once filed down you can’t tell were the bosses were (except for the difference in the finish). I was careful to take my time and do it by hand so as not to heat the frame. I’m not at all concerned about a failure. It looks MUCH cleaner and I saved a little bit of weight.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by wjc1
    The welds are so excellently done, once filed down you can’t tell were the bosses were (except for the difference in the finish). I was careful to take my time and do it by hand so as not to heat the frame. I’m not at all concerned about a failure. It looks MUCH cleaner and I saved a little bit of weight.
    besides, you can print out Tony's response when the warranty is voided to show, "he told me I could."

...And I bet you did lose weight. All those calories burned filing shoud amount to a pound or so.

Tony said: "Do it by hand--it will take many episodes of Star Trek reruns."

Is this a jab by Tony saying that someone who would file off their bosses is a total geek?
    Last edited by lidarman; 06-16-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Rolling
    Here's the other one for ya.

Last edited by lidarman; 06-16-2004 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's great! I only wish it was that easy.

Just following orders
    You can also get disc-only seatstays with rectangular tubes and a little braze on that serves as a brake hose keeper.

Edit: There is a pic here: Roll Call - show us your Ellsworth
    Last edited by cbcbcbcb; 06-18-2004 at 04:08 PM.