Thread: Rear vibration

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Rear vibration

Hi all- new to the forums and a new Ellsworth owner. Have a 2006 Epiphany and love it. I still pretty much suck as a mountainbiker and the bike far exceeds my skill level, but getting better. I am an amateur bike mechanic as well and need some help. I am experiencing a very audible vibration in the rear of the bike. I have a King rear hub and I already partly dissasembled it and greased the bearings I could get too. The sound is coming from the rear of the bike and I can feel the vibration all over the frame. The vibration is strongest in the rear triangle. I have recently changed the entire drive train. I have read about there being some bearings on the Epiphany. I am a noob, so could anyone tell me if they are possibly the culprit, or are there any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Time is not a road.
    So, is it vibrating while coasting, braking, pedalling? Just for peace of mind, you might check with a shop to make sure the dropouts are straight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

try a different wheel...

I find it very hard to imagine thaht a vibration could be coming from your pivot bearings. Especially on a new bike.

if the bearings were defective somehow, i still cannot see what would cause them to vibrate, there would have to be some sort of outside force at play. Its easy enough to check all of your pivot bolts though. And you can get some idea of smoothness of the bearings by detaching the shock at the top mount and removing the rear wheel and just articulating the 4-bar linkage through its range of travel.

I would say that the most common cause of vibration (and creaking) would be due to cables and cable housing. Sometimes this is very hard to identify, and the sound/ vibration can appear to come from somewhere far away from the actual source.

If you have a different wheel/ tire you can try this and eliminate the wheel from the equation.

Without a clearer explanation of this 'vibration' it is hard to determine the cause.

Is it constant?
    Does it happen when you are peadling and coasting?
    Uphill and down?
    Does it change according to road-speed?
    How about according to pedaling speed or what gear you are in?
    Could it be your tire rubbing against the chainstays?

hope some of this helps,
    Thumbies

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I wanted to keep the first message short so it would be read so I left out a lot of information I probably needed to include. The vibration occurs coasting and pedaling. It occurs only when there is weight (me) on the bike. I canot seem to duplicate it when I have it on the bikestand. The really strange thing is that when the bike is clean, it doesnt happen. If I get a little dust or dirt on the bike, it starts like clockwork. It occurs in all gears; uphill and downhill, and I am pretty sure it isnt the tire rubbing- there appears to be plenty of distance there. I know I should probably just bring the bike into a bike shop, but I feel "closer" to the bike by working on it myself, and I am frustrated that I cant figure this one out. Thanks again.

Time is not a road.
    Brakes? Have you had the frame faced at the brake mounts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I will ask the bike shop that built up the bike if they did that. I remember when the builder talked about the brake mounting, he did say they would do that. I will look at the brake setup- that is one area i havent really thought of before. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my bet is...

....cable/ housing (based on personal experience)...

How do you have your cables run around the seat-tube
    ie. when sitting on your bike, which cable housing goes around the left side of the seat-tube? It seems like most Epiphany riders route the front der. on the left side. Though, several of us (me included) run the rear on the left and it crosses over behind the seat tube to the right side. The housing needs to be zip-tied to the frame somewhere near where the magnesium rockers meet the right seatstay.

brake noises are usually pretty well locateable, though sometimes your brake rotor will rub only when you are on the bike.

If you still cant find the vibration, and you have any suspicion that it is the housing, you could disconnect the cable at the rear der. and just coil the housing up somewhere your handlebars and go for a spin (you'll have the hardest gear only in the back...assuming you arent using rapid-rise, but itll do for a quick test.)

same goes for the brakes...if you suspect them, take them off (rear only of course) and go for a little spin.

process of elimination.....

thumbies

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check tires and tubes,that they are well seated on rim.Tube can be twisted inside tire.Patched tube?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the rear der cable running on the left side also. I dont have it zip tied to the frame in that location so I will do that. I will try these excellent suggestions and let you know if I can figure it out with you guys help. Thanks again- you Ellsworth forum folks are a great, great help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check to see if the cassette is lose or binding.

mtbr member
    Nice bike and components for a noob- not knocking you; just wish I could've started out with such nice stuff.

Anyhow since you said you had the rear hub apart I wonder a little about the bearing preload on the rear. Put the bike on the ground and hold it by the seatpost in one hand. With your other hand grab the top of the rear wheel/tire and try moving it side to side. Does it move or is it tight? If it's moves I bet that is your trouble and you just need to adjust the preload on your rear hub.

If you have to adjust the preload it's easy on your King Just need two 5mm allen wrenches and to remove your rear wheel and skewer. Put the 5mm wrenches in each side of the axle and loosen the non-drive end. Use your fingers to snug up the adjusting nut and then retighten the axle and your done. You can also watch the movie on how to do it at chrisking.com

earth surfer
    Had a similar problem with my ID. Seems one of the balls used to shot peen the rear triangle had gotten inside the left seat stay through one of the cable holes. When I applied brakes that sucka would sing like a seprano. I eventually got it out by shooting compressed air into the stay and the ball came out the other end.

mtbr member
    I had that same feeling on my Epi, a couple of times. Every time it turned out to be my Chris King rear hub going loose again. Make sure your rear hub doesn't have any play in it.

I hope you identify your problem soon, that would drive me nutso!!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Brass Nipples!
    If you're using a new XT cassette with a King or WTB hub, it won't tighten properly unless you use a little spacer on the inside of the cassette.

Shimano made the grooves in the 11 tooth cog too shallow and that cog bottoms out against the freewheel and won't allow the cassette to tighten properly. Have your shop check to see if that is the problem. It was for me recently.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

banned
    Mar 2005
    How wide is your tire?...I had this happen with a 2.3 with a high tread pattern on my Id when sagged...any rub marks on your stays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    If you're using a new XT cassette with a King or WTB hub, it won't tighten properly unless you use a little spacer on the inside of the cassette.

Shimano made the grooves in the 11 tooth cog too shallow and that cog bottoms out against the freewheel and won't allow the cassette to tighten properly. Have your shop check to see if that is the problem. It was for me recently.
    Thanks for the tip Bob - I wonder if THAT was my problem after all. I was running an '06 XTR hub with the kings.

No problems now though - I switched over to I9 and am MUCH happier. Couldn't be stiffer!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks a ton for those of you that gave me some direction. It was those King hubs. Apparently they need to be tightened often. I broke down the rear wheel and tightened them and it fixed the problem. Rode a couple of times and the noise came back, except from both the front and rear wheel. Tightened them both and no problemo. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cp9999
    Thanks a ton for those of you that gave me some direction. It was those King hubs. Apparently they need to be tightened often. I broke down the rear wheel and tightened them and it fixed the problem. Rode a couple of times and the noise came back, except from both the front and rear wheel. Tightened them both and no problemo. Thanks again!
    No Problem!
    Hydrate or Die Trying